OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Even if we lose, big thumbs up to Ortiz to get back together after that DISASTER of a 1st. Gave us a chance to give em a run for their money.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ortiz obviously had that horrendous start but mad props for him to be able to stick in and put up over 5 innings out there. Obviously not the game you want to see with him but he really limited the damage after the bad 1st.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Cruz really shouldn't be an SS. Put his long ass in the outfield where his lanky ass isn't awkward in a position like SS.
This take doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Other than yanking some throws now and then, which most shortstops do and which Cruz has gotten better on this year, some of the bigger bad plays in the field that he makes are on balls in the air.

There is no guarantee that he would acclimate to an outfield position, and even more importantly, the value tradeoff of having him at SS vs a corner OF spot would be tremendous and put a lot more pressure on his bat.

The sharpest defensive metrics have him about middle of the pack for shortstops or a bit worse. He's not going to get a ton better than that, but it's pretty par for the course for what you get from other elite power/speed type guys such as Elly and Tatis.

I can see from the eye test why there is this talk about Cruz, but nothing else about it makes sense. I'm not saying you are doing this specifically, but he doesn't get a ton of credit for the well above average plays that he makes with regularity. A case in point was the other night on a squibber ground ball from Altuve, which happened after the huge debacle in the field. He made a plus plus defensive play look completely mundane.

In his rookie year, he's not making that play at all, and especially not after a bad play just before that in the field. I don't mean to single you out in particular, as this kind of thing has been all the rage after Cruz had some bad games in Houston, but I think a little more patience is in order.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
This take doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Other than yanking some throws now and then, which most shortstops do and which Cruz has gotten better on this year, some of the bigger bad plays in the field that he makes are on balls in the air.

There is no guarantee that he would acclimate to an outfield position, and even more importantly, the value tradeoff of having him at SS vs a corner OF spot would be tremendous and put a lot more pressure on his bat.

The sharpest defensive metrics have him about middle of the pack for shortstops or a bit worse. He's not going to get a ton better than that, but it's pretty par for the course for what you get from other elite power/speed type guys such as Elly and Tatis.

I can see from the eye test why there is this talk about Cruz, but nothing else about it makes sense. I'm not saying you are doing this specifically, but he doesn't get a ton of credit for the well above average plays that he makes with regularity. A case in point was the other night on a squibber ground ball from Altuve, which happened after the huge debacle in the field. He made a plus plus defensive play look completely mundane.

In his rookie year, he's not making that play at all, and especially not after a bad play just before that in the field. I don't mean to single you out in particular, as this kind of thing has been all the rage after Cruz had some bad games in Houston, but I think a little more patience is in order.
A bloke his size for a short stop isn't ideal, just the size of him, I mean yeah he can also yank out his glove and get the pops that go over most short stops that are smaller in stature but I think he could be better out of that.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Holderman needs to be out of leverage roles. He might have just singlehandedly lost this game because he doesn't know where the ball is going half the time and left that pitch up to Perdomo.

Not sure there are tons of other options, but I'd rather see Nicolas or even Stratton, though he just came back.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00