OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Seems like this could be one reason the Orioles really didn't entertain offers for Mullins (at least I haven't seen any indication that they did).

Pache is the kind of player that a worse team will probably take a flier on. Were it not for MAT, I would say that his defensive floor is well worth bringing into the fold for us given our lack of CF situation within the org. As it stands, I don't know that we could fit him in anywhere, because it wouldn't just take a 26-man spot, but also a 40-man spot. I imagine one of the higher waiver order teams will pick him up anyways.

Cardinals blow a close game late to the Cubs, which is nice for us.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On that tweet from Poni about Hayes, I think two things can be true:

1. Hayes has been downright atrocious at the plate this year, where his bat being so bad is a major reason why I don't view this team to have the hitting needed to seriously contend in the playoffs.
2. If Poni is going to be tweeting that kind of stuff out, he should at least take a second to double check his facts so he doesn't look like a complete moron.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
On that tweet from Poni about Hayes, I think two things can be true:

1. Hayes has been downright atrocious at the plate this year, where his bat being so bad is a major reason why I don't view this team to have the hitting needed to seriously contend in the playoffs.
2. If Poni is going to be tweeting that kind of stuff out, he should at least take a second to double check his facts so he doesn't look like a complete moron.
Don’t forget his terrible glove work this season

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's just a shame that the timing on everything is so bad. All three of Hayes, Suwinski, and Davis have had terrible offensive seasons, and I don't think it's too much of a homer statement to say that they are capable of way better. Whether or not we'll ever see it again, I have no idea, but even having one of those guys playing close to what they have shown offensively would be incredible right now.

For what it's worth, my take on Hayes is that the singles only offensive version of him would be completely palatable on a team fielding a real roster with a real payroll. It's magnified because of the fact that the Pirates have no margins for error with their roster construction. I think the more significant issue with him is that he's proving to be consistently injury-plagued. I am pretty certain that he is currently injured, which is something impacting the offense, but if that's a correct guess, at some point that just becomes the biggest problem and not some kind of excuse. Maybe having IKF and even Gonzo in the fold next year could help to get him off his feet and alleviate nagging injuries that way or something. I dunno, it's a bad situation.

Last thing: I was going to mention this in my recap, but I think having a hitter explode as we look towards the stretch run is something that needs to happen. Maybe it will be IKF or BDLC, but Davis has also settled into a much better place at the plate, judging by the statline. I think Indy could be on the path to make the playoffs, but I still wouldn't count out the possibility of Davis playing his way into being the extra position player that's brought up when rosters expand. It's not the best roster fit in the world, but if he sustains a better K-rate and is hitting the ball hard for another month, I'd roll the dice on a late season redemption run. At the end of the day, I confess that I still believe in the bat.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not to continue to pile on Hayes..
But with the bat. It’s crazy how soft his contact is. It’s like there’s backspin on every one of his fly balls and they just die in there air. Just hang up there forever.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
What do we want to talk about regarding a 25 year old utility player with pretty good AA/AAA stats?

Biggest issue is he'll need to get on 40man to avoid rule 5....And that Reilly had a much higher value.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Not to continue to pile on Hayes..
But with the bat. It’s crazy how soft his contact is. It’s like there’s backspin on every one of his fly balls and they just die in there air. Just hang up there forever.

I will pile on. His bat killed the team this year. He and Davis mostly.

Reactions: wheelz87

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Cruz really shouldn't be an SS. Put his long ass in the outfield where his lanky ass isn't awkward in a position like SS.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Cruz picking up where he left off.
Ke with the most non chalant effort to get the ball and not throw it home. I’m done with hearing how great he is defensively.

Annnd a great start to this one

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
In the park HR on a Cruz error

3 HR in a row

No one covering first

Wild pitches, walks....

Got a whole games' worth of action already in a half inning

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Ortiz is showing why you can never have enough pitching.
Went full pumpkin mode after like five good games in a row

TBF, the diamondbacks have multiple guys well known for hitting bombs

But ortiz got dummied.. See if he can lock it down, top of the order in the 2nd lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2