OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Trying not to get too optimistic. I put down 50$ on the bucs winning the world series.
Unless we can let Skenes pitch every game in the playoffs and keep him in a recovery capsule like Goku on namek in his off time then you’re out $50 lol

What would that get you, if successful?
More money than Elon Musk

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG and Jaded-Fan

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Raise it!

raise it _taylor.gif

Taylor having a MUCH better month of July

1722395974506.png

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
DK on Chapman interest.

If Cherington needed/wanted to clear cash, he could've moved out Aroldis Chapman's $10.5 million and gotten "a ransom" back for him, in addition to the savings. As Cherington addressed this, "We felt pretty strongly and were gonna be careful about doing anything that would hurt our bullpen in any way. But we got calls, for sure. A lot of calls."

Reactions: DaveG

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
DK on Chapman interest.

If Cherington needed/wanted to clear cash, he could've moved out Aroldis Chapman's $10.5 million and gotten "a ransom" back for him, in addition to the savings. As Cherington addressed this, "We felt pretty strongly and were gonna be careful about doing anything that would hurt our bullpen in any way. But we got calls, for sure. A lot of calls."
Not a huge fan of chapman.. But yeah sadly he's still a useful tool for us... Maybe if we landed someone on a rich contract, but barring that, we are likely better off keeping him this year.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I missed the tail end of the deadline and the entire game because I had tickets to what turned out to be a playoff game atmosphere here in Philly tonight. Fun seeing Jazz Chisholm crush 2 HRs and make some spectacular plays in the field.....

I guess it's easier to be optimistic after this huge series win. Early on in the game yesterday, I was pretty much down for the count and ready to give up. When this offense isn't going, it gets so brutal to watch, especially when the pitching is masterful. Salvaging a 3-3 road trip quit literally saved the season I think, though it doesn't get any easier from here.

I'm alright with the deadline acquisitions. In general, I think the bare minimum bar was cleared, but that bar was where it was because of how poorly Cherington acted in the offseason. A lot of the impact will be determined by how IKF performs for this year and next. I confess that he wasn't on my radar at all and I did not realize how much he'd bounced back this year.

De La Cruz is cheap power. He hasn't reached his true ceiling, so it sure would be something if he were able to unlock that here. God knows we need it. I do think the power is actually real and gives him an advantage over other players who he's comparable to for a variety of reasons from a value perspective. We needed that power, and for him I'm fine with the depth prospects who were given up. I wanted at least another competent bat to go along with him, and IKF checks that box.

IKF is really a Cherington/Shelton dream addition if you think about it, because he will allow Shelton to mix and match a ton and it potentially opens up paths for some of the younger and underperforming players to cement roles for themselves, both in the remainder of this year and next year.

I'm kind of indifferent to the axegrinding of someone like Perotto. If we just narrow our focus to Chisholm, it would have taken either Chandler or Johnson as the headliner to get him, and it seems like Miami wanted a batter. That's still an indictment on Cherington, but I don't quite see the financial angle being too relevant. The only real financially relevant guy being moved was Bell, and he's not a fit on this roster.

Cherington is still set up for an offseason in which he needs to add an outfielder, and I think the expectations should be that we'll add more and add more payroll too. That's one big question mark where I think it makes perfect sense to still be skeptical.

Until then, we'll see how these guys perform. IKF really lengthens the lineup and BDLC should add pop for the 5th-7th spots. The big statement is really not trading Chapman. That is the move of a team that has every intention on a postseason run, and while I think there was more than could have been done to push this team, I think it's an admirable stance to take. I headed into today thinking that the main thing we needed to do was get some kind of haul for Chapman, but we got some lineup help and didn't touch much of the depth we do have for potential future deals (I'd hesitate to call it a war chest, as we're really just a slightly better than middle of the pack system, and that's probably being generous).

The low key intrigue for me is how aggressive we'll be with Yorke and Cook. Both guys are close to MLB-ready, so giving one of them some run in the next few weeks could really change the look of this roster. I think they were good additions. I worry a little bit that Boston could revamp what Priester does and make him look a lot more effective, but realistically, his ceiling is probably an innings eater. If Yorke's hitting ability is real, he can be useful in some fashion, as early as next season.

Cook really seems under the radar, so I am going to look and see if I can dig up anything on him. The major numbers look good, but I have no idea what's under the hood. He looks like someone who can hit for average, take a walk, not strike out too much, and have meaningful enough power... that's enough for a corner OF, and he's got some speed too. Reilly was a solid pitching prospect and there's no reason to just burn those, but he was behind multiple guys and is replaceable. I like taking the shot there.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
On the flip side, just to spin something out and undercut what I said at the end a bit: adding Winker in addition to both IKF and BDLC would have been closer to impactful for sure. It's easy to identify three players worth improving over.

You probably could have gotten winker for Reilly or not even that much. I like the little I am able to tell about Cook, as of course a 25 year old who might be able to break in and become an average regular would be a huge boon. But I think whether it is worth bringing in that prospect swap directly or not, we most certainly could have still gotten Winker (and he's not being paid anything either) in addition to the bare minimum we actually did on deadline day.

Reactions: td_ice

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I think the moves basically just keep us where we were after the recent injuries: fringe Wild Card team. I expect them to stay around the chase but ultimately fall short. We really needed a legit bat (or two or three) and the need will still be there this offseason.

Reactions: MrBrightside

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I'm not a fan of Bowden but his trade grade for the Pirates seems about right:

Pittsburgh Pirates

Grade: B-

Trades:

• Acquired LHP Jalen Beeks from Rockies for LHP Luis Peralta
• Acquired LHP Josh Walker from Mets for LHP Nicolas Carreno
• Acquired RF Bryan De La Cruz from Marlins for RHP Jun-Seok Shim and 3B Garret Forrester
• Acquired 2B Nick Yorke from Red Sox for RHP Quinn Priester
• Acquired Isiah Kiner-Falefa and cash from Blue Jays for 2B Charles McAdoo
• Acquired LHP Ronaldys Jimenez from Padres traded for LHP Martín Pérez
• Acquired OF Billy Cook from Orioles for RHP Patrick Reilly
• Traded RHP Roansy Contreras to Angels for cash
• Traded CF Gilberto Celestino to Cubs

Key takeaways: The Pirates improved the balance of their bullpen with the addition of lefties Jalen Beeks and Josh Walker. They added a much-needed power bat in Bryan De La Cruz from the Marlins and picked up a strong defensive utility player in Isiah Kiner-Falefa. But did they do enough to improve the offense to get the postseason?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Weird deadline for sure:

Priester for Yorke - like this one Priester has been passed by.

Beeks for Peralta - meh hopefully a lower leverage matchup role helps Beeks numbers.

De La Cruz for Shim/Forrester - like this, 3 years of control, helps lineup. Still a bit of untapped upside.

IKF for McAdoo - dont like IKF. Having a career year, hopefully it holds for another month or 2. Hard to trade one of your only ipper level hitting prospects.

Reilly for Cook - most interesting. Reilly was a rising arm but still behind the rest. Cooks seems like a ho hum 4th OF prospect. Maybe we get lucky and the AAA numbers carry over.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Sucks that we couldn't get Jazz Chisholm, he would have been great. And perhaps this is just self soothing, but his incredible hot start in Pinstripes reminds me of what they said on mlb network, (I forget the analyst who mentioned this.) But this was right after the trade and before he played with his new team.

"This is good for the Yankees. But you know who this is GREAT for? That's Jazz Chisholm. Because being inserted into THAT lineup, they are going to have to pitch to him. He is gonna see a lot of hittable pitches. Much more so than if he would have went to a lesser lineup." Haha, I feel he was specifically talking about the Pirates.

EDIT: caught the tail end of an interview on THEFAN. It was someone connected to the Marlins. No idea who. He said if the Yankees didn't get Jazz, another team would have, and it wouldn't have been the Pirates.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Jones is not a week away. He has another bullpen session this weekend and then will be sent on a rehab assignment. He's mid-to-late August.
This weekend will be is 3rd pen session he has thrown 70 pitches so far and all his pitches he isn’t going to need multiple rehabs. Falter had 1 rehab

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
This weekend will be is 3rd pen session he has thrown 70 pitches so far and all his pitches he isn’t going to need multiple rehabs. Falter had 1 rehab
No, he threw 38 pitches and he'll have been out for almost 6 weeks, so he'll need multiple rehab starts and/or will be at 50-60 pitches when he returns (or both). Just admit that you were wrong when you declared he'd be back on Wednesday and move on to lavishing praise on Mike Tomlin.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Jones is not a week away. He has another bullpen session this weekend and then will be sent on a rehab assignment. He's mid-to-late August.

What would you have liked them to do? Not trade Perez?

Woodford is the best candidate to come up and he has pitched very well at AAA. Would I have liked to see Ashcraft or Burrows in a spot start, sure, but both are hurt or something.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I mean, even if woodford is on a short leash and does bad we still might have a chance

His career numbers are like whatever. And his terrible numbers this year are from CWS, so.. Yeah..

Hell, he might do okay, like yesterday falter doing so well bought us a ton of innings of work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad