WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Raise it!!!

raise it _skenes.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
2 other thoughts:

1) With all these injuries we should just nope out on sending Yorke to Indy. Come right up here.
2) I wouldn't mind seeing Joe shipped out tomorrow. He has been TERRIBLE at the dish for so long that I don't want to see him back here next year at this point. I'm not seeing the upside any more with him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of Rooker, Jim Bowden said the Pirates are interested in him as well. I think it's well established they likely won't move him but the Pirates have been linked to him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm pretty skeptical that Oakland will move him, but a strong argument for Rooker is a kind of obvious one: hitting HRs is huge for winning. We have seen this team be able to claw guys onto the basepaths, but then it's that second or third hit of the inning that we are missing. The HR threat on this team is Cruz, and Reynolds is a solid HR guy.

If you can convert some of those opportunities into 2 and 3-run HRs with Rooker, that's pretty significant.

I like Yandy Diaz a lot, and it seems like a foregone conclusion he's being traded at this point, but it's also hard to deny that trading with the Rays is not a fun proposition.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Speaking of Rooker, Jim Bowden said the Pirates are interested in him as well. I think it's well established they likely won't move him but the Pirates have been linked to him.

Imagine the sacrifice Andrew McCutchen would make to the team and city by putting on a glove for 45 games. I can't even.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Imagine the sacrifice Andrew McCutchen would make to the team and city by putting on a glove for 45 games. I can't even.

Honestly I'd probably just play Rooker in RF for the rest of this year and plan on him taking over the DH position next year.

The whole McCutchen situation complicates things, but he really hasn't been all that good of a DH this year and I'm not particularly jumping at the idea of re-signing him.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Cutch should not factor into whether you trade for Rooker. At all.

Rooker is a massive upgrade at DH. Play him in the corners, sprinkle him in at DH, and then next year you politely tell Cutch he's not coming back.

With that being said, Rooker isn't getting moved from the looks of it.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Leaning into a sweep of one of the worst teams in baseball history here, but this is still a pretty crazy stat. It seems like a lot of teams have had some trouble getting going before and after the ASB. The Yankees were in a total free fall and then woke up for the Red Sox series and absolutely rinsed the Phillies tonight.

What's unbelievably frustrating and stressful about this team is also probably it's biggest strength, honestly: we are constantly in games. That's part excellent pitching, and frankly, I think part a testament to Shelton's clubhouse and tactical management. We are there and can win on most nights, and we've probably converted more wins than the true talent of this team on paper.

Get some bats and who knows. Everyone is basically waiting for Cherington to prove he can do anything worth a damn.

One small bit of hope/cope: Beeks seems like an indication that Borucki is nowhere near ready to pitch in games again and maybe even done for the year. He's a depth acquisition to have a LHP option for the 6th/7th innings. He's also a free agent after the year. Any kind of small addition helps a team in such a tight race, but it doesn't make much sense at all to get this kind of player if you aren't going to do ANYTHING about the offense at all.

Last edited:

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Cutch is getting too much run, but he's still 3rd on this team with 13 HR and .700 OPS.

Ironic given who contributed tonight, but the lack of any production from the non-Reynolds OF and Grandal are the bigger issues in my eyes. The broadcast said Hayes hadn't drawn a walk in some 80 AB's and then draws two tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad