OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
That is factually not what was said. They said they don't want to trade any of their top prospects like Chandler, Johnson or Ashcraft. Literally no one here expects them to do that.

Again, they'll add like 1 or 2 bats at the deadline. Everyone knows that has been their plan for weeks now.

Why does DK somehow have more credibility than literally every other MLB insider that has said what the Pirates plan is? DK is full of shit, he also just said that the Steelers are looking at trading for Tyreek Hill.
Trust me, I would love to be wrong on this. But the closer we get to deadline day the more likely it seems that nothing happens.

If Ben Cherington doesn’t believe in this team to make a run, he’s not going to sit there and say that. It would be career suicide. Also notice in that quote he uses phrases like “could be something we look at” and “puts us in a position to get better after 2024.”

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Ben Cherington doesn’t believe in this team to make a run, he’s not going to sit there and say that. It would be career suicide. Also notice in that quote he uses phrases like “could be something we look at” and “puts us in a position to get better after 2024.”

But again, that's what most people here are expecting.

At least from what I can tell, a dream deadline for most fans here would be (or would have been) adding Chisholm and Diaz to help them compete both this year and in the next few years. No one here is really expecting this team to chuck out the Johnson/Chandler/Ashcraft caliber prospects and pull off Robert.

I'm expecting they'll trade for like Lane Thomas to platoon with Suwinski in RF and maybe get a rental CFer to push Taylor. That's about all I'm expecting.

Ramirez is a 45+ FV prospect that's ranked #5 in the Yankees system, but the other two are just throw-in lower minors prospects. Feel the equivalent of this would probably be Davis and some lower minors guys, which sounds about fair to me.

Abraham Ramirez is hitting the shit out of the ball in Rk ball right now (.960 OPS), so it doesn't seem like a nothing piece as well.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Doesn’t every team have a guy hitting the crap out of the ball in rookie ball?

Kevin Pillar is the CF cheap guy that I think they pick up. Ex Blue Jay so he has the Cherington connection and he doesn’t make any money.

Reactions: DaveG and td_ice

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Some folks seem very quick to give Cherington the benefit of the doubt that he’s not earned. Maybe we will all be wrong but any significant move seems increasingly unlikely, and I’m not at all worried about what he says publicly. It’s what he does, not what he says.

I’m not as all in on Chisholm as some, but missing out on him means that we almost certainly have Taylor or Suwinski in CF.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cherington can't force Miami to take their offer over the Yankees offer if Miami liked Ramirez over Davis. They were heavily in on Chisholm, but the Marlins just decided to go with another offer.

People are complaining that the team isn't doing anything, but when it comes out that they're very in on players, they just get mocked with saying "stop celebrating finishing 2nd".

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Are they any other realistic CF trade options out there? (I know Robert isn't going to happen)

Or should we just concentrate on corner OF?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are they any other realistic CF trade options out there? (I know Robert isn't going to happen)

Or should we just concentrate on corner OF?

Kevin Pillar is probably the best bet, but I'm not sure he's much of an upgrade on Taylor.

I'd probably advocate for focusing on a corner outfielder at this point. Lane Thomas would be a good addition for a platoon partner for Suwinski, but that probably pushes Joe out (which I honestly don't mind at this point tbh).

Reactions: td_ice

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Kevin Pillar is probably the best bet, but I'm not sure he's much of an upgrade on Taylor.

I'd probably advocate for focusing on a corner outfielder at this point. Lane Thomas would be a good addition for a platoon partner for Suwinski, but that probably pushes Joe out (which I honestly don't mind at this point tbh).
I’m trying to think of a less consequential move than switching Connor Joe for Lane Thomas. I’ll keep trying.

If that’s all you’re going to do, don’t bother. It’s like a team in 12th place in Eastern Conference adding a 6th D at the trade deadline.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’m trying to think of a less consequential move than switching Connor Joe for Lane Thomas. I’ll keep trying.

If that’s all you’re going to do, don’t bother. It’s like a team in 12th place in Eastern Conference adding a 6th D at the trade deadline.

Thomas put up 28 HRs and had a 115 OPS+ last year. Even this year, he's at a 109 OPS+, which is his career average.

His issue is that he's pretty mid to poor against righties and just eats lefties alive.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Finishing a "close second" is not going to improve the offense.
Hey man, we aren’t allowed to criticize or be disappointed that they came in a close second (yet again). I mean Cherigton can’t force teams to accept his offers…. And they can’t trade Henry Davis AND Hunter Barco for Jazz Chisolm… that’s way too much of the future to give up. Those guys are going to be huge pieces for us in 2028

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Thomas put up 28 HRs and had a 115 OPS+ last year. Even this year, he's at a 109 OPS+, which is his career average.

His issue is that he's pretty mid to poor against righties and just eats lefties alive.
And Joe’s is 103 and was 109 last year. See also Olivares last year. You can’t just look at these things in a statistical vacuum.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Pillar is better offensively than Taylor, but is just disappointing that teams like the Yankees do this shit all the time. And if Jazz doesn’t work out they can just buy a replacement haha.

Reactions: DaveG

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's a disappointment either way you slice it. Either we wouldn't pay the appropriate cost or more likely we had something similar in and they said no to Davis.

Seeing what Estevez got has me singing an entirely different tune. If we won't acquire an impact bat, we should sell high on Bednar. I'm halfway willing to talk myself into the rumor about Mayo being true -- Klassen has a huge up arrow by his name this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad