OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's so hilarious that HBP and bloop lucky single + single is a cause for jubilation.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
we need to trade for a hitter with a high batting average asap. idgaf

CONNOR JOE BABY

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
How many "rumors" are we going to get regarding the Orioles and their top prospects for our top players. What is this weird obsession with the Orioles, specifically, with the local media when they are making this stuff up?

Pittsburgh media is and has long been garbage. The bulk of them anyway.

The Jones for Holliday rumor was so absurd, though the sheer volume of people who thought it logical or legit makes me feel for my son and the coming generations.

Reactions: DaveG

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I am looking forward to Robert Murray officially debunking that ridiculously made up idea from Poni.

The first reason I can't see it is that the Orioles need starters, and presumably are going to take it until the deadline to see what the ultimate ask is for Crochet and potentially Skubal. There's no way they are trading Mayo, who is probably among their best 1-2 trade chips if you assume Holiday is untouchable (separate topic, though I'd probably trade him for Skubal if I was them).

The second reason is that I honestly think Cherington and the front office do not care about perception and would say yes to that trade in a heartbeat. Mayo would be a difference-making bat to acquire under cheap control, and relievers are fungible enough that there's no guarantee about Bednar beyond the immediate future.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense so early. The Orioles have Miami now, a solid but beatable team in San Diego this weekend, and then Toronto next week. There's no need for them to urgently make a move, since things are going to be neck and neck with the Yankees for quite a while.

Reactions: DaveG and Rave7215

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
An interesting point made on the broadcast right now is how few teams are actually truly "out" of it right now. There are only 8 teams in the MLB that are more than 5 games out of a wildcard spot right now, which is obviously going to limit how many teams are actually selling.

I doubt he'd be available, but another name I havent' seen mentioned as an option. How would people feel about targeting Varsho to be their CF?

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
An interesting point made on the broadcast right now is how few teams are actually truly "out" of it right now. There are only 8 teams in the MLB that are more than 5 games out of a wildcard spot right now, which is obviously going to limit how many teams are actually selling.

I doubt he'd be available, but another name I havent' seen mentioned as an option. How would people feel about targeting Varsho to be their CF?
I loved his dad on the Pirates, and he plays a hard nosed style, so if they could get him, I'd be for it.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Sorry Paul, the offense just doesn't like you.

I know this is good news for the Pirates, I just hate to see anyone, especially someone like Yelich, endure it.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I like Varsho. I've seen Rosati mention it as an idea on NS9, but not a rumor obviously. He's not the best bat to add, but his defense is great and he's a controllable piece. I think it would probably be something that would take shuffling Taylor to a contender as a defensive replacement, or else DFAing him if not, but as a move that solidifes an important position, I would be all for Varsho.

Perez has done very well today, though I still hope we have him on the quickest of hooks. 5-0 should be a game that you steer to the bullpen sweat free and take the series. No f***ing funny business now after that loss last night.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I loved his dad on the Pirates, and he plays a hard nosed style, so if they could get him, I'd be for it.

He doesn't solve the bats issue, but he's a defensive monster in CF with a career OPS+ of 96. Worse bat than Chisholm but miles better defensively.

Chisholm in LF, Varsho in CF and Reynolds in RF looks like a downright terrific OF to me.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
He doesn't solve the bats issue, but he's a defensive monster in CF with a career OPS+ of 96. Worse bat than Chisholm but miles better defensively.

Chisholm in LF, Varsho in CF and Reynolds in RF looks like a downright terrific OF to me.
I want to see them bring in someone to at least show the team, and the fans, they are trying to get better.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Random note - has there ever been a professional sports team with more kids of MLB players than the Blue Jays? Bichette, Guerrero, Varsho, Biggio - it's fairly crazy how many they have.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Random note - has there ever been a professional sports team with more kids of MLB players than the Blue Jays? Bichette, Guerrero, Varsho, Biggio - it's fairly crazy how many they have.
Probably hard to get anyone without ties to TOR or Canada to play for them lol

Might be more impressive that the kids have been good and not just nepo hires

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We're not really in any position to be looking the Brewers way just yet IMO, but sounds like they might have lost Yelich for a significant amount of time/the season last night.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I think BIggio was DFA'd, but yea, they could almost field a team of son's of former MLB players.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I get that this inning happened quickly but I really wonder if you didn't have the "5 innings for the win" rule if Perez would facing Contreras here.
Yeah, I was thinking we should have gone with the reliever there. Credit to Perez, he kept the ball on the edges and stepped up in every big spot today.

I would honestly bank the 5 innings and just move on, though his pitch count is in fine shape, so maybe you have it be touch and go if he gets the first out of the next inning. The Cardinals bats are almost as cold as ours this season, and it's not like he's been in huge trouble today a bunch.

It's a weird call, because presumably it would be good to get Priester some work in this game. You could potentially ride Priester for at least the 6th and 7th, if not the 8th or beyond, especially if we add on.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Yeah, I was thinking we should have gone with the reliever there. Credit to Perez, he kept the ball on the edges and stepped up in every big spot today.

I would honestly bank the 5 innings and just move on, though his pitch count is in fine shape, so maybe you have it be touch and go if he gets the first out of the next inning. The Cardinals bats are almost as cold as ours this season, and it's not like he's been in huge trouble today a bunch.

It's a weird call, because presumably it would be good to get Priester some work in this game. You could potentially ride Priester for at least the 6th and 7th, if not the 8th or beyond, especially if we add on.
With an off day tomorrow and everyone other than Mlod fresh, I'd pull the plug now.

We're not really in any position to be looking the Brewers way just yet IMO, but sounds like they might have lost Yelich for a significant amount of time/the season last night.
And on a related note, the Braves could also be in play now - they are an annoyingly good organization but losing Strider, Acuna, Albies, and Fried is an absurd run of injuries to your top players.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
With an off day tomorrow and everyone other than Mlod fresh, I'd pull the plug now.
Yeah, my thought is try Priester as a guy to come in for multiple innings and if he gets into any trouble, just fire all the weapons you have. 4 innings isn't a ton for a fresh bullpen to cover, even if Priester melts down in the 6th.

Looks like we'll stick with Perez though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad