OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Basically, nobody knows anything, and the team isn't in position for the national media to really care wholesale.....yet (hopefully).
The other thing worth keeping in mind throughout all of this is that most of Cherington's deals have tended to come out of nowhere because his front office doesn't seem like it has a lot of leaks, at least so far. I don't think that means we definitely won't get Rooker or Chisholm or Ward or Robert or whoever else is out there and publicly speculated on, but I think it's worth noting.

Right now, my goal for the deadline is Perez, Suwinski and Olivares out and Chisholm and Winker in. Winker is also awful defensively so he’s not a long-term fit, but he’s replacing 2 other OFers who are awful defensively so it’s not as problematic.

My hope is that they’d end up with:

1. Chisholm (CF)
2. McCutchen (DH)
3. Reynolds (LF)
4. Cruz (SS)
5. Winker (RF)
6. Tellez (1B)
7. Gonzales (2B)
8. Hayes (3B)
9. Bart (C)

Bench: Joe, Taylor, Grandal and Triolo

For a defensive sub, I figure Reynolds slides to RF, Chisholm slides to LF and Taylor gets put in at CF. I forgot that Palacios was up for Olivares already, it would suck to not have a spot for Palacios but I don’t really see one if they’re bringing in Chisholm and Winker.
This would be a dream result, I think. Winker makes a lot of sense and should not be too painful in terms of the prospects given up. Even if we "only" get him as a rental, it will be disappointing in one sense, but palatable for the risk/reward. I just don't know how we'll improve the outfield next year, though obviously trades are possible at the winter meetings.

If we assume only 1 main trade would happen, I am still on Chisholm, but I also think Arozarena could be a sweet spot. He's heating up which is something notable, and he's also a proven playoff and big game performer. It doesn't solve CF but I would be thrilled to end up with him.

My sense is still that Rooker is not in play and not really a good fit, though I also wonder for the sake of argument how we might feel with Rooker acquired and let loose in RF more often than seems stomachable right now, but at the cost of more regular playing time for Taylor in CF to at least give the OF a fighting chance.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team is so starved for bats that I don't even mind trading for a pure rental like Winker. He shouldn't be super expensive to acquire since he's a rental, Candelario was traded for Chicago's #14 and #16 prospects last year. I figure Winker would bring back something very similar to that, so at most it would be like 2 lower minors 40 FV prospects.

My trade expectations would be something like:

-Suwinski, Peguero and Solometo to Miami for Chisholm
-Kennedy (40 FV SP, #13 ranked on MLB) and Delgado (40 FV SS, #21 ranked on MLB) to Washington for Winker
-Perez to Boston for Monegro (40 FV SP, #15 ranked on MLB)

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Skenes learning efficiency.

Shasteen - Hold On to Your Butts.jpg

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
It's just hard to really take them seriously as a playoff contender when they have complete black holes in CF, RF, and at 3B (and that's giving a benefit of the doubt to Bart and Gonzales they really haven't earned).

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

metalan2

May 30, 2008
This team's offense is once again a travesty. It really sucks having to root for a team with an owner that willingly puts this product on the field.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
f***ing inexcusable. Your starter should never go this long and lose because you can’t score any runs. Not even 1 miserable run.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Skenes has to give up zero runs for this team to have a chance. Unfortunately, he gave up 1.

You would think by sheer luck the pirates could score 1 run, but no. 8 innings, 1 run, L.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad