OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nicky G, so clutch

I'm pretty down on Gonzales right now because he's been awful since his super hot start, but you can't deny the dude just comes in absolute clutch whenever he's in a position to get an RBI.

Even with his struggles, I think you have to leave him in the 6 spot just because of how reliable he is with getting RBIs.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
C'Mon Bednar.

I have reached my breaking point with Hayes. Trade for Rengifo and move Gonzales to 3rd. Trade Hayes for McMahon. Just get him TF off this team. I don't care about the 3 wins or whatever bullshit he's worth in the field. A 3B needs to hit.

• Wow
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
C'Mon Bednar.

I have reached my breaking point with Hayes. Trade for Rengifo and move Gonzales to 3rd. Trade Hayes for McMahon. Just get him TF off this team. I don't care about the 3 wins or whatever bullshit he's worth in the field. A 3B needs to hit.

I feel like Hayes is a situation where both the player and team would welcome a trade at this point.

I wouldn't trade him just to get out of his contract, because you're likely not getting more value for the money he costs, but I think it's a no brainer to explore the market in a player for player swap.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I feel like Hayes is a situation where both the player and team would welcome a trade at this point.

I wouldn't trade him just to get out of his contract, because you're likely not getting more value for the money he costs, but I think it's a no brainer to explore the market in a player for player swap.

McMahon is a costlier contract. Hayes' was frontloaded so its only $7M/year going forward. But if Colorado wants it, it's very tempting.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Raise it!

Situational hitting wasn't great but another gem by the pitching staff + bullpen and some solid defense.

raise it _leyland cig.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This was another game where the "let's trade Chapman" idea becomes less appealing to me.

If you want to clear up money to add to the bats, I wonder if Perez makes more sense to dangle.

I've been very critical of Priester but Priester > Perez right now easily, and likely so is Ashcraft if healthy. I don't think Perez is worth much though...no more than what we would have gotten for Hill which wasn't much. Would only save Nutting $2.8M which...well, I guess we could end up doing it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've been very critical of Priester but Priester > Perez right now easily, and likely so is Ashcraft if healthy. I don't think Perez is worth much though...no more than what we would have gotten for Hill which wasn't much. Would only save Nutting $2.8M which...well, I guess we could end up doing it.

I think the idea I have is that they have a set limit on how much money Nutting is allowing them to spend on payroll, so they could reinvest that $2.8 million in bats if they move Perez. Which is enough to get you both Thomas and Chisholm for the rest of the year, although their arbitration situation in 2025 complicates things a bit.

You'd get some low level 18 year old minors prospect for Perez but then use the money cleared up to add a bat or two without actually increasing the payroll of the team.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Great win. Great performance by Keller to stand on that mound and prove the contract extension was a great move.

I think this is kind of easy to say given that we won, but though I share the frustration with the offense, there's a balancing act with giving credit to the opponent. Pallante doesn't seem all that great on paper, but he's performed over the course of several starts and locked down when he needed to tonight. We definitely should have come through at some point -- I look at Bart's inability to get the sac fly the most -- but I guess I feel like baseball is just sort of like this sometimes, and there's only so many excuses.

I don't say this to let the offense off the hook, but in these close games, you either step up and get the one clutch hit or you don't. Nicky G came through. Cardinals fans are definitely thinking they blew a huge opportunity to get a road win and put some stress on the Skenes start tomorrow.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or another example if Cherington would be concerned about their upcoming arb cases: trade Perez and bring in Winker, which is a pure UFA for UFA swap that still leaves them about $2.4 million in saved payroll.

I wouldn't expect them to make 2 OF adds, but adding Winker for the rest of this year and Chisholm for the next few years would be a damn good deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad