OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Circling back on this.. I think it was the first time in pirates history that this happened yesterday

Hayes' offense has been dreadful over this recent stretch. It's such a massive disappointment after how great he was to finish last year offensively.

They don't have anyone in the system to replace him, so I wouldn't be jumping at trading him, but I probably would be looking for avenues to trade Hayes in the next year or two if he doesn't see any notable offensive improvement.

That was egregious.

Umping just an absolute joke and costs us. No accountability and this happens so often to the Bucs. I think it was cutch who struck out a few days ago where likewise the first 5 pitches were balls. Embarrassing. Sooner we get robo umps better off everyone is.

Bobby Bonilla and Dale Sveum hit HR's from both sides in the same game

Yeah, can't wait for robo ball and strikes calls. Agreed with everyone's comments above.

It does suck, (Suwinski AB). But yesterday I think it was in our favor. iirc Skenes got like 3-4 his way yesterday and Jefferies 1-2.

Back to the same old story

Terrible.

But still, way too many Ks in key positions.

Joe and Hayes actively hurting us at the dish.

Nice to see Cruz obliterate a baseball.

Win-lose-win-lose-win-lose-win-lose.

View attachment 892954

Oh they scored 2 runs today. More than I would have thought after scoring 14. 2 today, 1 tomorrow. I thought 1 today and 2 tomorrow.

If Nutting weren't awful I'd say we should just trade Hayes for Ryan McMahon straight up. Let Colorado deal with Hayes bouts of offensive uselessness.

But McMahon is making more money for the forseeable so we can't absorb the incremental salary.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
At least Termarr looks like he's heating up a bit

Johnson was similarly bad early last year, right?

He has not lived up to the hype but remains a very good prospect offensively. He'll make it to AA at 21 and has big power potential. Curious on how his defense looks. Gonzales looks promising but is not the definite 2B of the future. And Gonzales also could undoubtedly play third, where he may end up if the Pirates and Hayes are headed for a divorce.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
There are all kind of funky stats and records that can be created, and perhaps this is one of them, but.....

Skenes is the only pitcher in major league history to record at least 7 strikeouts in 9 out of his first 10 starts.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
There are all kind of funky stats and records that can be created, and perhaps this is one of them, but.....

Skenes is the only pitcher in major league history to record at least 7 strikeouts in 9 out of his first 10 starts.

What's the record for a third ever start on a Thursday in July when it's a full moon?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
And we're going against manaea

Might be a shootout cause neither guy has been particularly sharp vs their opposing teams, maybe a slight edge to manaea

Our righty hitters (Joe, Gonzales, McCutchen, Olivares) have been bad as of late. Joe especially. I don't have much faith in their ability to win this game. Not to mention Hayes, who I am increasingly sick of.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Our righty hitters (Joe, Gonzales, McCutchen, Olivares) have been bad as of late. Joe especially. I don't have much faith in their ability to win this game. Not to mention Hayes, who I am increasingly sick of.
Well, at least we aren't going with a lineup of only righties, and they haven't all struggled against lefties

... Oh.... Lol

Maybe reynolds can save us

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pretty damn good start from Ortiz. Mets batters look like they are taking uncomfortable swings and not recognizing what he is throwing. Hopefully he can keep it up... IMO a rotation spot is now pretty wide open given the ambiguity around Jones, now Falter, and also the "who cares" around Perez, Gonzales, and anyone in AAA. If Ortiz can pitch well, there's no reason he shouldn't keep starting.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I like bart, but if he's gonna go for two bases like he did in the fifth, he's got to run harder the whole time

He was slow out of the box and hesitated at first...

Cool to be aggressive I guess but gotta commit

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seeing what Ortiz is doing out here just makes it abundantly more clear that they should be trading from their SP prospect depth to help out the bats. They simply do not need any high upside SP prospects going forward.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Significantly less offense from either side than i expected

Lol

There was little question after scoring 14 in game 1 they wouldn't really score the rest of the series.

Utterly pointless to expect this team to compete.
Baseball is the most random sport yet relies on stats more than any other sport

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Joe and Olivares are hitting themselves out of the MLB. Just terrible gutless performances at the dish from guys who aren't useful if they don't hit.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Now everyone sucks at hitting again.

The right-handed hitting crew has been simply abysmal and it is infecting the whole team. Cutch bleh, Joe barrel a ball = impossible, Olivares is a AAA player, Hayes typically bad. Bart has been bad since coming back up. I've talked a lot of garbage about Davis but maybe it's time for his next chance.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Now everyone sucks at hitting again.

The right-handed hitting crew has been simply abysmal and it is infecting the whole team. Cutch bleh, Joe barrel a ball = impossible, Olivares is a AAA player, Hayes typically bad. Bart has been bad since coming back up. I've talked a lot of garbage about Davis but maybe it's time for his next chance.
Well they also forgot how to play defense long enough to gift a run and might have lost the game

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Sac bunt lol.

My goodness this team is so beyond pathetic in all facets but pitching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad