OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It is true, it will never make financial sense for Nutting to sell. Only hope is if ownership shifts to someone else in the family who isn't as dead set in running it the same way.
Nutting once stated that his ownership would be "generational". Also, the 25 million profit that is always quoted is pure BS. His profit ranges between 65-120 million per.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Ownership can be generational, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they will be run in the same ways. The Yankees are a decent example of that albeit the financial changes in baseball have also influenced some of the change.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Ownership can be generational, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they will be run in the same ways. The Yankees are a decent example of that albeit the financial changes in baseball have also influenced some of the change.
This is true, the Blackhawks are another example, albeit in a different sport.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Anybody with enough money to own a professional sports franchise would run the Pirates the same way Nutting has.

Even if you found an owner who desperately wanted to win they would believe that they could do it by spending as little as possible.

The thing about having that kind of wealth is that it removes you from reality and causes you to massively overrate your own competence.

If the Pirates got a new owner the mindset would 100% be "I can make it work while spending just as little as the last guy because I am a genius as evidenced by this pile of money I am sitting on.".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anybody with enough money to own a professional sports franchise would run the Pirates the same way Nutting has.

Even if you found an owner who desperately wanted to win they would believe that they could do it by spending as little as possible.

The thing about having that kind of wealth is that it removes you from reality and causes you to massively overrate your own competence.

If the Pirates got a new owner the mindset would 100% be "I can make it work while spending just as little as the last guy because I am a genius as evidenced by this pile of money I am sitting on.".

I don't know that I agree with this. Nutting's situation with the Pirates is unique because the Pirates are his cash cow, his newspaper company hasn't done well and he ha sold off most of his ownings with Seven Springs I believe.

If you had a rich owner who wasn't relying on the Pirates to make money, I think they would be operated way differently than how Nutting operates them. The issue with Nutting owning the Pirates is that is his main revenue stream, while a ton of other owners wouldn't need to rely on the Pirates for that.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i mean if he sells the team he gets a huge amount of money which is likely significantly higher than the present value of the perpetual annuity assuming 25 million a year in cash

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I don't know that I agree with this. Nutting's situation with the Pirates is unique because the Pirates are his cash cow, his newspaper company hasn't done well and he ha sold off most of his ownings with Seven Springs I believe.

If you had a rich owner who wasn't relying on the Pirates to make money, I think they would be operated way differently than how Nutting operates them. The issue with Nutting owning the Pirates is that is his main revenue stream, while a ton of other owners wouldn't need to rely on the Pirates for that.
Yeah the original post is not correct. Nutting is rich compared to average human beings. He’s not compared to other sports owners. The newspaper industry is in the tank. He sold Seven Springs. The Pirates are basically his income and revenue streams, something that is absolutely not the case with most professional sports owners who make their money in other areas and own sports teams as a toy or investment.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If no one went to the ballpark, bought merchandise, subscribed to the TV and internet services, and a I mean literally no one, shit would change. That's the only way out of this mess. Call it impossible, I call it reality.

The caveat with that direction is MLB would simply move the franchise to a better market. Which is what's going to happen when the lease expires anyway.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If they'll move the Oakland A's (to Vegas), they'll sure as hell move the Bucs to a much bigger cash cow.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I don't think the team is at risk of leaving when their lease is up in like 6 years. We shit on Nutting and deservedly so, but Fisher in Oakland is a different level of greed. He actively sabotaged his team to necessitate the move all the while feuding with city officials.

Our local government are whores and will give Nutting favorable terms and he'll continue to pocket whatever his profit margin is like he does every year. This is in spite of the still ongoing MLBPA lawsuit and state representatives performing an economic impact assessment that criticized ownership for their lack of spending on the payroll.

Just feels like MLB simply just doesn't care about parity like most other American professional sports leagues. Short of a tightly constrained cap floor/ceiling with stipulations that require you to spend something like 90% of available space over a X year period, I don't forsee anything changing. The players don't even want a salary cap either since the cheapest owners would just use that as a way to limit payroll without those stipulations.

I just don't believe there's any incentive to change the system at this time. Outside of COVID, league profits have continued to go up every year.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
And TECHNICALLY the A's STILL don't have anywhere to move to in LV

they just aren't playing in Oakland because the owner is a crybaby

Like.. Until they set foot in Sacramento, I'm not gonna believe shit about the A's even playing there

They're better off going on hiatus or some shit. This "move" is embarrassing

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Falter 4 ER
Mlod 4 ER
German 2ER

The list of pitchers who can can counted on to put up zeroes is approaching...zero.

This reminds me of the 2012 Pirates except starting at a lower point. Like the pitching staff is in the collective abyss and is in a circular reference of failure.

Does Ben Cherington do anything well? We can now cross pitching off the list.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Don't need closer if you blow a lead before the 9th inning.

giphy-2.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad