Radko Gudas named captain of the Anaheim Ducks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
fowler right now

ZzdkEt.gif

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I feel like the people upset by this are either; people who think only your best player should be captain, and leaf fans.

I don’t have strong feelings either way, I like Gudas overall and if the team wants him as captain then cool.
Or just other teams fans in general. I haven't seen a single upset post on our boards about it. I have yet to dive in the main board but it sounds like it's a salt mine :laugh:

Everyone hates to play against Gudas. Everyone would welcome him on theirs. We're the lucky ones having him, even if he's on the decline one or other way

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
That's fair. But I would counter that when you play with an intentionally harder brand of hockey with intent in being physical, sometimes things will slip and he'll take a "dumb" penalty.

But if his +/- is from being on the 2nd pair, I think it's fair to compare with his partners at least to some extent. It won't give full context but it helps.

1726769994379.png

Those are his 3 top TOI partners over last season, and how those also faired with their next highest partner.

Vaaks was amazingly a +/- of 0 overall. Looks like he was a +5 paired with Gudas. With his next closest partner (Fowler), he was a -1. And with his 3rd (Lindstrom), he was a +3. (Interesting note, when paired with Minty for only 35:40 total minutes, he was a -7. Gudas was good for him.

Lacombe was a -24. His #1 partner was Fowler, and they were a gawdawful -21. Lacombe with Minty (#3 partner) was -5. Gudas was good for him.

Minty's #1 was Bush by a huge margin (540:49 TOI). He was a -5 with him. Lacombe was his #2, and Gudas his #3. Consider this. In ALL pairings Minty had, he was never a + player. We're talking about how much potential he has (and I do agree), but it looks like he definitely needs more work on the D side (of course +/- is a weak stat but still...). Gudas couldn't help him enough here.

But when the team is a collective -91 goal differential, Gudas being a +14 is still impressive.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Or just other teams fans in general. I haven't seen a single upset post on our boards about it. I have yet to dive in the main board but it sounds like it's a salt mine :laugh:

Everyone hates to play against Gudas. Everyone would welcome him on theirs. We're the lucky ones having him, even if he's on the decline one or other way
its mostly triggered leafs fans who are mad because gudas screamed in their goalies face. 95% of NHL fans don't know shit about the ducks either way

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I don't think he's dumb but he takes quite a few dumb penalties and makes some questionable defensive choices. When I think of "cerebral" players I think of somebody like Nieds.

Again, I like the guy and I'm cool with the choice, but I think Gudas' +14 comes more from being on the second pairing than being a genius or a wizard.
I think that might be a little unfair. Nieds was exceptionally cerebral. It's a bit like saying, "I wouldn't call him smart. When I think of smart, I think of somebody like Einstein." I think Nieds is an unfair comparison for most players.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I really like this choice. It’s crazy how much of a perfect fit radko became here so quickly after being such a universal heel. Glad he’s ours.

I also really like that we don’t have to send a 19 - 23 year old out 40-60 times per season to explain why we took a devastating loss. It’s not fair to them and they don’t deserve to have to take accountability for a poorly constructed roster.

Radkos obviously older and that maturity is something that we’ll have to lean on during his tenure as captain given that he’s unlikely to be a winning captain and will have to take some of the heat in lieu of his teammates.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Best news all week. Pumped to see him be the captain of the team. He'll hold other teams players accountable if they go after Carlsson/Zegras/Zellweger.

Wouldn't be surprised if the alternates don't include Fowler.
Killorn/Vatrano/Strome look like leadership types.

Frosted Tips

Zeglaf baby!
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Not sure what all this means for Terry who has been vocal about wanting to be a leader for this team. With this news I don't think he'll be wearing the "C" for this team ever, unless there's some temporary rotation due to injury or something at some point. I'm assuming he can keep his "A".

I'm not saying he should've got it. I'm happy with and for Radko!

Perhaps doesn't mean anything and business goes as usual.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

In the past eight years, Radko has played 19 mins or more twice. The first being in 2016-17 with 19:18 ATOI and the second being last year, 2023-24, with 19:30 ATOI. He's played under 18 minutes ATOI in five seasons. And the remaining season ATOI was 18:01. Gudas was a 3rd pairing d-man for Florida, which was a contending team.

Once Gudas takes on more minutes, he isn't as effective - which we all witnessed later on in the season.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
He’s really good. So underrated at obstructing offense. Was our best defenseman by a mile last year

People seriously underrate his hockey abilities even on this board. He’s a rock solid #4 defenseman on any contender in the league.

That's news to me. I saw on Reddit that he wouldn't even crack the top 6 of most teams.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

To be fair, only bad teams have captains that aren't star players. Also, Gudas is definitely the least skilled out of all captains. The only Captains that I would categorize with Gudas would be Foligno and Lowry, and even those two have had more skill/production in their careers. So Gudas is an out of ordinary 'goon' captain....

Anaheim Ducks -- Radko Gudas
Boston Bruins -- Brad Marchand -> All Star = Playoffs
Buffalo Sabres -- No captain
Calgary Flames -- Mikael Backlund
Carolina Hurricanes -- Jordan Staal -> Former All Star = Playoffs
Chicago Blackhawks -- Nick Foligno
Colorado Avalanche -- Gabriel Landeskog (although he's been out last year) > All Star = Playoffs
Columbus Blue Jackets -- Boone Jenner
Dallas Stars -- Jamie Benn -> Former All Star = Playoffs
Detroit Red Wings -- Dylan Larkin -> All Star = Playoffs
Edmonton Oilers -- Connor McDavid -> All Star = Playoffs
Florida Panthers -- Aleksander Barkov -> All Star = Playoffs
Los Angeles Kings -- Anze Kopitar -> All Star = Playoffs
Minnesota Wild -- Jared Spurgeon -> All Star = Playoffs Last Year
Montreal Canadiens -- Nick Suzuki- > All Star
Nashville Predators --Roman Josi -> All Star = Playoffs
New Jersey Devils -- Nico Hischier -> All Star = Playoffs Last Year
New York Islanders -- Anders Lee -> All Star = Playoffs
New York Rangers -- Jacob Trouba -> Former All Star = Playoffs
Ottawa Senators -- Brady Tkachuk -> All Star
Philadelphia Flyers -- Sean Couturier -> Former All Star
Pittsburgh Penguins --Sidney Crosby -> All Star = Playoffs Prior years
San Jose Sharks -- Logan Couture -> Former All Star - Previous Seasons
Seattle Kraken -- No captain
St. Louis Blues -- Brayden Schenn -> Former All Star = Playoffs
Tampa Bay Lightning -- Victor Hedman -> All Star = Playoffs
Toronto Maple Leafs -- Auston Matthews -> All Star = Playoffs
Utah Hockey Club -- No captain
Vancouver Canucks -- Quinn Hughes -> All Star = Playoffs
Vegas Golden Knights -- Mark Stone
Washington Capitals -- Alex Ovechkin -> All Star = Playoffs Prior year
Winnipeg Jets -- Adam Lowry

Anyhow, Gudas isn't here to help us win. He's here to help with culture of competing and hopefully get us out of the bottom 10 shitter in the next 2 years. Maybe we can be playoff caliber by 2028.... But his most important job is to help groom the next captain and leaders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad