Radko Gudas named captain of the Anaheim Ducks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
fowler right now

ZzdkEt.gif

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I feel like the people upset by this are either; people who think only your best player should be captain, and leaf fans.

I don’t have strong feelings either way, I like Gudas overall and if the team wants him as captain then cool.
Or just other teams fans in general. I haven't seen a single upset post on our boards about it. I have yet to dive in the main board but it sounds like it's a salt mine :laugh:

Everyone hates to play against Gudas. Everyone would welcome him on theirs. We're the lucky ones having him, even if he's on the decline one or other way

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
That's fair. But I would counter that when you play with an intentionally harder brand of hockey with intent in being physical, sometimes things will slip and he'll take a "dumb" penalty.

But if his +/- is from being on the 2nd pair, I think it's fair to compare with his partners at least to some extent. It won't give full context but it helps.

1726769994379.png

Those are his 3 top TOI partners over last season, and how those also faired with their next highest partner.

Vaaks was amazingly a +/- of 0 overall. Looks like he was a +5 paired with Gudas. With his next closest partner (Fowler), he was a -1. And with his 3rd (Lindstrom), he was a +3. (Interesting note, when paired with Minty for only 35:40 total minutes, he was a -7. Gudas was good for him.

Lacombe was a -24. His #1 partner was Fowler, and they were a gawdawful -21. Lacombe with Minty (#3 partner) was -5. Gudas was good for him.

Minty's #1 was Bush by a huge margin (540:49 TOI). He was a -5 with him. Lacombe was his #2, and Gudas his #3. Consider this. In ALL pairings Minty had, he was never a + player. We're talking about how much potential he has (and I do agree), but it looks like he definitely needs more work on the D side (of course +/- is a weak stat but still...). Gudas couldn't help him enough here.

But when the team is a collective -91 goal differential, Gudas being a +14 is still impressive.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Or just other teams fans in general. I haven't seen a single upset post on our boards about it. I have yet to dive in the main board but it sounds like it's a salt mine :laugh:

Everyone hates to play against Gudas. Everyone would welcome him on theirs. We're the lucky ones having him, even if he's on the decline one or other way
its mostly triggered leafs fans who are mad because gudas screamed in their goalies face. 95% of NHL fans don't know shit about the ducks either way

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I don't think he's dumb but he takes quite a few dumb penalties and makes some questionable defensive choices. When I think of "cerebral" players I think of somebody like Nieds.

Again, I like the guy and I'm cool with the choice, but I think Gudas' +14 comes more from being on the second pairing than being a genius or a wizard.
I think that might be a little unfair. Nieds was exceptionally cerebral. It's a bit like saying, "I wouldn't call him smart. When I think of smart, I think of somebody like Einstein." I think Nieds is an unfair comparison for most players.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad