Race for the Calder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kevin Lankinen's 5 on 5 numbers are still really good after 11 starts.

19 goals against (303/322)
1.73 gaa

- and only 2 regulation losses with 15 team points

---

3rd most wins (6)
3rd most team points (15)
3rd best sv% (.925) (goalies with 8 starts or more)

Reactions: Gsus and zcaptain

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Having had some pretty good rookies over the past 3 years (Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes), I think I have a pretty goo idea of what a high end rookie looks like.

Hoglander checks all the boxes, and probably more than most rookies named above (excluding goalies), except his goal scoring, which IMO, will come along. Is he a top 3 candidate, probably not at this moment, but not seeing him alongside other rookies, due to the scheduling, really complicates things, in terms of evaluation.

For those back east, I wish I could see your guys play, as the hi-lites are just that, and are not a great reflection of the true value. The one thing that really excites me about Hoglander, is his non-stop motor. It creates so much, both offensively and defensively.

To not have Hoglander put into the top 5 rookies, says to me, there must be some incredible rookies out there, as he is a human hi-lite reel, just about every shift. He reminds me of Gallagher in Montreal to a tee, already.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
How do we account for Chicago's roster structure? Is there a point to be made that someone has to score the points and play in net?

Or should I believe that two undrafted guys and a pretty unheralded second round pick are suddenly three of the best rookies in the league?

I'm not saying I know the right answer to that, but I think it's a discussion that needs to be had.
This is a completely valid question. With our injuries up front, someone has to be there to score a few goals and stop a few pucks. But Suter/Kurashev/Lankinen are exceeding expectations across the board right now. I don't expect any of them to be in the top-3 in calder voting at the end of the day, but they definitely belong in this league and are making strong plays on a nightly basis.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
How do we account for Chicago's roster structure? Is there a point to be made that someone has to score the points and play in net?

Or should I believe that two undrafted guys and a pretty unheralded second round pick are suddenly three of the best rookies in the league?

I'm not saying I know the right answer to that, but I think it's a discussion that needs to be had.
So you’re sayin Beaudin and Mitchell should be 1-2 for the Calder?

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The Calder should go to the Hawks rookies collectively for doing what they're doing. Their combined efforts have been sensational, and i don't really see one that's standing out above the others. Every night it seems like someone else is stepping up and making plays. Lets see if they can keep it up.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Maybe Robertson in Dallas has a chance if he continue this pace. He is playing really well.

Came here to say this. Starting to play like a top 6 forward, maybe the points will continue if the 2nd PP unit can do literally anything at all

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kevin Lankinen is still the front runner.

His 5 on 5 numbers after 12 starts :

19 goals against (322/341)

1.58 gaa

17 team points (only 2 regulation losses)

---

From goalies 9 games or more :

3rd in save % (.931)
3rd in team points (17)
5th in wins (7)
6th in gaa (2.29)

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Won’t even finish top 5 in voting.
The guy is 1 point out of leading the rookie scoring race. Did you happen to find a crystal ball that the rest of us aren't aware of?

That said, his points don't tell the whole story. He brings it every shift and has probably been the Canucks' most consistent player. IMO, he's been the best rookie skater, thus far.

Last edited:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
The guy is 1 point out of leading the rookie scoring race. Did you happen to find a crystal ball that the rest of us aren't aware of?

Thats said, his points don't tell the store. He brings it every shift and has probably been the Canucks' most consistent player. IMO, he's been the best rookie skater, thus far.

Yes. It was a crystal ball. Cubic zirconia, big one—those f***ers don’t lie. It’s called science.

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Thats said, his points don't tell the store. He brings it every shift and has probably been the Canucks' most consistent player. IMO, he's been the best rookie skater, thus far.

Hes played more games than the other rookies with 20GP meanwhile the players ahead of him, tied with him, and behind him have enough of a GP cushion to blow past Hoglander in scoring. Thats not even mentioning Lankinen who has been playing like an early vezina canidate let alone a calder finalist

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
I would guess Kaprizov is the favourite at this point. But who knows? Not sure how long Kappy is out with injury for at lots of hockey left to play. Homer mention that Bouchard is playing very well for the Oilers.

Dakota1615

Feb 7, 2021
Kevin Lankinen is still the front runner.

His 5 on 5 numbers after 12 starts :

19 goals against (322/341)

1.58 gaa

17 team points (only 2 regulation losses)

---

From goalies 9 games or more :

3rd in save % (.931)
3rd in team points (17)
5th in wins (7)
6th in gaa (2.29)

Isnt Lankinen too old? I thought there was an age restriction on the calder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad