Draft R5 #159: Rangers select Nathan Aspinall (LW, Flint Firebirds/OHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
There’s still good players to be had in the late rounds but NYR legitimately never hit. Im pretty sure Cuylle/Jones are the only players drafted rounds 2-7 to play 40+ games with the team since Buchnevich was picked

Igor Shesterkin may be over 40 games

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I missed the with the team part.

My bad
The “with the team” part has no bearing on whether it was a good pick. Kid played enough NHL games to not be a miss.

I don't disagree there is value in drafting to project for the bottom lines. From what I had read, I don't know how much upside this kid has. What what I've seen, what's being predicted for him is the same as what's been projected for Matt Rempe (how he turns out, we'll see). Projects. Maybe I'm fussy, but would've like someone who is a little further along in their development. That may be just me though; I could be wrong; I hope I am.
I personally think your chances of hitting are better on guys who have MORE development runway, not less. If they are already MORE developed and still around in the 6th round you aren’t getting a chance at as much upside.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
The “with the team” part has no bearing on whether it was a good pick. Kid played enough NHL games to not be a miss.
It doesn’t but that specification is needed because the bottom line is they aren’t getting anything out of these picks. It doesn’t really matter if you make a good pick and then trade the guy for nothing because you gave spots to Reaves and Rooney

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It doesn’t but that specification is needed because the bottom line is they aren’t getting anything out of these picks. It doesn’t really matter if you make a good pick and then trade the guy for nothing because you gave spots to Reaves and Rooney
Well management of assets after they’ve been drafted has zero to do with whether you hit on a mid/late round pick. They are separate issues. Plus Barron was part of the trade for Copp which helped us get to the ECF…
Anyway, our recent mid to late round drafts have been a little better than decent. Zac Jones was a 3rd rounder and Rempe and Edstrom are up right now and we have more on the way.

Last edited:

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Well management of assets after they’ve been drafted has zero to do with whether you hit on a mid/late round pick. They are separate issues. Plus Barron was part of the trade for Copp which helped us get to the ECF…
Anyway, our recent mid to late round drafts have been a little better than decent. Jack Jones was a 3rd rounder and Rempe and Edstrom are up right now and we have more on the way.
They’re not different issues. It’s all part of the same talent evaluation problem that leads to two drafted skaters playing 40 games in a decade

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Not wanting to move to Scotland and choosing Stockport instead is like not wanting to move to Canada and choosing to go live in Flint or something other backwards ass dump. It's an industrial revolution hangover shit hole.
I only know a little about Stockport because of Wrexham. Yes, I know what you said about Stockport applies to Wrexham too, but they're getting a glow up lol

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
They’re not different issues. It’s all part of the same talent evaluation problem that leads to two drafted skaters playing 40 games in a decade
Yes. They are two separate things, ONE is drafting, the OTHER is managing the assets you draft, and besides that we used him in a TDL deal that helped us get to the ECF. So it wasnt mismanagement anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00