Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would personally trade Konecny & tear it all down. But if you’re going to re-sign Konecny you’re gonna have to get a little more aggressive with taking some swings at some skill & talent imo. You can’t re-sign him & the best we can do is retain the likes of Hathaway, etc. & call it a day.

The Flyers are gonna have to start realizing these guys are more replaceable than they think & the goal has to be acquiring legit talent through whatever avenue.

They glorify Vegas but seeming don’t take away the fact that Vegas’ entire roster is written in pencil not pen. They’re always move parts in & out when opportunities come about.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I get the Charlie hate but he also needs to toe the line. We all sit here and trash the organization but if you were working with them in a way he is, we wouldn’t be. He needs to not burn bridges that hurt his potentials of becoming and remaining the best writer for his career. We don’t have that issue here.

Same as whatever line of work you’re in now. You’re not trashing your clients/colleagues/potential clients where it’s readily available to all. Have to have those considerations when talking specifically about beat reporters and even national reporters.

I'm not even sure it's that.

He openly disagreed with the Luchanko pick over Buium.

He openly disagreed with the Berglund pick, stating that it indicates a faulty process.

He openly disagreed with the Hathaway re-signing on day 1 of free agency.

He openly believes the team should not re-sign TK to an 8 year extension.

But he doesn't linger on it - he has his opinion, he accepts that the team has a different opinion, and he moves on.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I'm not even sure it's that.

He openly disagreed with the Luchanko pick over Buium.

He openly disagreed with the Berglund pick, stating that it indicates a faulty process.

He openly disagreed with the Hathaway re-signing on day 1 of free agency.

He openly believes the team should not re-sign TK to an 8 year extension.

But he doesn't linger on it - he has his opinion, he accepts that the team has a different opinion, and he moves on.
So he personally disagrees with literally everything the team is doing but calls fan hysteric for questioning the rebuild. He is the chief antagonist against people who doubt they are actually rebuilding even though he doesn't think they are making moves that a rebuilding team should/would do. That's the problem and why he has no credibility.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I like Pinto just fine, but I’m sure you’ll be surprised he leans defense + goal scoring. It’s basically the only two things at which the Flyers look. How many good playmakers do they have in the system? Guys who can run the PP half wall? With flashes of plus skill? Like with everything else they do, Pinto leans that steady meat and potatoes skillset over pure skill. Despite Frost being steady himself. Pinto isn’t a big upside play. He’s scored at 3rd line rates.
Exactly.
If they were swapping out Laughton or Poehling for Pinto, great, have at it.

But these imbeciles will probably send Ottawa Frost and a 2nd for him and think they got a steal.

They are arguably the worst run organization in all of major pro sports.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Crazy that the rebuilding Flyers have 11 years of term left on Laughton, Seeler, Hathaway and Deslauriers.
I would argue that’s actually what rebuilding/tanking teams have in terms to secure that lottery pick.

Now, I would question if that’s why the flyers are doing that or not. That’s the real question.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
So he personally disagrees with literally everything the team is doing but calls fan hysteric for questioning the rebuild. He is the chief antagonist against people who doubt they are actually rebuilding even though he doesn't think they are making moves that a rebuilding team should/would do. That's the problem and why he has no credibility.

My interpretation of his view is that he disagrees and would do things differently, but accepts that the team has a different view. He's not angry about it.

Everyone is entitled to feel the way they feel, of course, but no one is entitled to be free from pushback.

Reactions: LegionOfGloom

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I would argue that’s actually what rebuilding/tanking teams have in terms to secure that lottery pick.

Now, I would question if that’s why the flyers are doing that or not. That’s the real question.

I sometimes want to hope and give Briere the benefit of the doubt thinking he is playing 4D chess by filling out the roster with this overpaid junk. Then he picks a potential 2/3 C over a potential top pair D, and reaches on a 4 C with his next pick. This is after passing on a 1/2 C last year for a 2nd pairing D. These are the kinds of players they want.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
With Winnipeg always struggling to attract free agents I wonder if Farabee could be a fit there. He has term and is a manageable cap hit. Perfetti would be a target that could fit our timeline and Namestnikov would be a good target for someone to help usher Michkov into the NHL.

Something around Farabee for Perfetti + Namestnikov with minor pieces on either side to balance it out.
Jets need centers , not subtract them.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Few things from the PHLY podcast and interviews:

• Briere didn’t want Jett to do well at Worlds since it would raise his profile. They have liked him since the beginning of the year. They were hoping to get him with the Fla pick pick.
  • Briere said several GMs have already given him crap because they liked Jett and wanted him.
  • Doesn’t see Jett and Michkov as a planned pair.
  • The Russian picked 6th was someone our Russian scout “pounded the table for”.
  • The trade up was a little for 4 but sounded like it was more for after 5. But the way the draft went teams saw players falling and didn’t want to trade.

My take is maybe it was Ottawa we were talking with. Maybe more there with Laughton, Pinto, their 1st next year?

Appleyard brought up the strong performances at Worlds for a lot of the picks. Not sure if that’s 100% after Brieres comments.

Briere did seem sincere about not planning on Jett with Michkov which is good. I thought they were trying to draft players into slots which is a terrible 3 year out plan.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I sometimes want to hope and give Briere the benefit of the doubt thinking he is playing 4D chess by filling out the roster with this overpaid junk. Then he picks a potential 2/3 C over a potential top pair D, and reaches on a 4 C with his next pick. This is after passing on a 1/2 C last year for a 2nd pairing D. These are the kinds of players they want.

The issue is he keeps extending them instead trading them & shuffling in new players of the same ilk. The Flyers only have the appetite to really move on if the player has deteriorated to beyond all doubt in which case they’re valueless.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

• Briere didn’t want Jett to do well at Worlds since it would raise his profile. They have liked him since the beginning of the year. They were hoping to get him with the Fla pick pick.
  • Briere said several GMs have already given him crap because they liked Jett and wanted him.
  • The trade up was a little for 4 but sounded like it was more for after 5. But the way the draft went teams saw players falling and didn’t want to trade.

My take is maybe it was Ottawa we were talking with. Maybe more there with Laughton, Pinto, their 1st next year?

Appleyard brought up the strong performances at Worlds for a lot of the picks. Not sure if that’s 100% after Brieres comments.

Briere did seem sincere about not planning on Jett with Michkov which is good. I thought they were trying to draft players into slots which is a terrible 3 year out plan.
Yeah honestly that's the biggest take away assuming it's true. The problem is who do they see playing with Michkov (not just this year but moving forward)? Coots? Frost? A UFA? Someone in next year's draft? I don't know what the draft looks like in terms of strength of the class or depth for the centers but someone's gotta be able to match his skill and we don't have that right now I don't think, at least not long term.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
As annoying as Charlie & Meltzer can get with toeing the line I don’t think they’re bad guys. Kevin Kurz not only toes the line but also just sucks as a person. That guy is easily the worst of the bunch he’s just relatively new. That guy toes the line & then tells you they’re in the NHL while you’re not so stop criticizing them.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Thanks for doing the bullet points.

The bolded kills me every time they do it in any sport. Does anyone actually take this seriously?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
As annoying as Charlie & Meltzer can get with toeing the line I don’t think they’re bad guys. Kevin Kurz not only toes the line but also just sucks as a person. That guy is easily the worst of the bunch he’s just relatively new. That guy toes the line & then tells you they’re in the NHL while you’re not so stop criticizing them.
Meltzer has been surprisingly candid about stuff Torts has done he doesn't like, I give him that.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I bet the Flyers would love to get Trouba somehow. Maybe the Rags would take Ellis, and put him on LTIR.

But how the hell do we get under the cap if we do, since we're damn near capped out with Ellis on LTIR anyway? (I'll grant I may be misunderstanding our cap situation a bit, but I think we don't hit that window otherwise.)

My offer would be along the lines of Risto and RyJo, if they don't want to add value to Trouba to move him, or Risto and Laughton, if they're willing to attach either their #1 or a very good prospect. The first requires them to take on a little more money, but RyJo can go on LTIR for them, we're paying less now, a bit more next year, and save all of what would have been Risto's money in the final year. With Laughton, the money is essentially even for two years, we get another #1 or a big prospect, everyone wins.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
He totally drank the orange koolaid on cates as a 2C and basing the team's identity around the "PHD" line.

Yeah, it's possible - though it's also possible he just happened to agree with it.

There's lots I like about what they've done, lots I am meh about, and lots I don't like at all.

I don't mind Hathaway, but I do agree with Charlie and many others that he's not a Day 1 Extension kind of player. See how his season goes, and maybe you have an opportunity to move him later.

I would have liked Buium over Luchanko, but that's based purely on what the general opinions were on Buium's potential. I have not watched a single second of hockey for any player that was in this year's draft, so I know less than nothing. Either way, it will take 2/3/4/5 years to see if Luchanko works out as hoped.

Same with Berglund. The general thinking seems to be they picked a safe low ceiling type of player, so maybe take a bigger swing.

Erik Johnson? Ugh. I really didn't want to see him re-signed, but whatever. They seem to be attached to low (on ice at least) value veterans. I'd much rather see more of Attard and Ginning and Andrae than even one more minute of Johnson, but it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad