Draft R1 #30: Rangers select EJ Emery (RHD, USNTDP/USHL)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, I heard about this as well. They said it's nothing life threatening, but some sort of medical condition...made me think of Kakko being diabetic...

Here's the article:

1720449737059.png

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not trying to be a wise guy, legitimately asking the question: can you think of a guy who had 6 pts in his draft year who became a 30-40 pt dman? Has that happened in the last 20 years? I like the player but I just don't see the potential for that sort of offense.

Short of guys who were hurt? No.

He didn't have 6 though, he had 16.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Not trying to be a wise guy, legitimately asking the question: can you think of a guy who had 6 pts in his draft year who became a 30-40 pt dman? Has that happened in the last 20 years? I like the player but I just don't see the potential for that sort of offense.
While the added offense is nice for defensemen, I think the more important aspect is their ability to move the puck and keep possession. I'll happily take a 15-20 point shutdown dmen who can make that outlet pass or has the skating ability to carry the puck out of the zone.

Sounds like Emery would've been a top 20 pick but for that issue.
What is/was the issue? Haven't been able to find it?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
While the added offense is nice for defensemen, I think the more important aspect is their ability to move the puck and keep possession. I'll happily take a 15-20 point shutdown dmen who can make that outlet pass or has the skating ability to carry the puck out of the zone.

No clue.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No one has reported specifics. It has just been reported as a condition that isn't "career-altering" but made at least one team knock his grade down from a first round pick to a second and other teams "pass on him," although to what degree is unclear.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
All I can say is that I am THRILLED that in back-to-back years we have a player dropping 10-15 spots into our lap for concerns I don't consider career-threatening.

This could very well be the impact a team needs in the draft with late picks to become a contender down the line. First Perreault, who has already proven to outshine his draft position in his D+1, and now Emery who fits the Rangers like a glove being a shutdown D-man with potential.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Emery is exactly what they needed. He was the best NTDP defender at moving the puck under pressure below the dots, possibly the best in the 10 years I’ve been covering the draft. I don’t post here often anymore but if I did, I would have complained every game that the Ranger defense after Fox sucked at moving pucks in tight areas. Icing, turnover, icing, turnover. Trouba, Miller, and Schneider all stunk at this when I watched. Trouba stinks and so does his dumb agent who causes problems. Get a goddamn nanny and live in the Ritz Carlton. Emery is light years ahead of Miller defensively at this stage but doesn’t have his big shot and glide. I know people are comparing the two because Emery is an NTDP product who says he looks up to Miller, but if they traded KAM tomorrow for a smarter lefty and played Emery with Jones I’d be very happy. The other two picks were blah. Stupid Rangers never draft the kids I like but Emery is part of the 10 percent I do.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
All I can say is that I am THRILLED that in back-to-back years we have a player dropping 10-15 spots into our lap for concerns I don't consider career-threatening.

This could very well be the impact a team needs in the draft with late picks to become a contender down the line. First Perreault, who has already proven to outshine his draft position in his D+1, and now Emery who fits the Rangers like a glove being a shutdown D-man with potential.
So you know what the medical issue is?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Oh, you said "I" I thought you mean you knew first hand. Yea EP said that but that's just their opinion, it also said other teams were a bit spooked off.

EP isn't some fanblog with 50 readers though. These are people who attend the draft, the combine, talk to actual scouts and relay what they are told.

This isn't their opinion.

So yeah, I will take that information as it's the most reliable basis we have.

Reactions: kovazub94

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
EP isn't some fanblog with 50 readers though. These are people who attend the draft, the combine, talk to actual scouts and relay what they are told.

This isn't their opinion.

So yeah, I will take that information as it's the most reliable basis we have.

Except he said it spooked some teams off...so clearly they did think it could have an impact on his career..

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Hey guys,

E.J. Emery was the subject of a large portion of my latest video breakdown. I talk about his defensive process and his puck skills a bit.

I thought his puck control in the DZ improved as the year went on. His puck control window got larger too, which is good. He positions his feet and body better now. So maybe that will open up some better one touch breakout passing - which is not a strength right now. Similarly, his manipulation and seam creation at the attack line is a weakness.

Anyhow, this isn't a highlight video by any means. I have some time for him. Not 1st round time, but he has steep enough development arcs to become something...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad