Draft R1 #30: Rangers select EJ Emery (RHD, USNTDP/USHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
View attachment 889145

Puck decisions can be an adventure ugh

Passes into traffic and causes turnovers. Yay Miller 2.0 lol
What about the good stuff he had to say about him and the player he compared him to? Every player drafted in the late 1st and later is going to have some flaws. Let him play 2-3 years at North Dakota and see how he improves.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Is that … good?

Still don’t understand the Miller comparison. This guy is all defense. Miller has no defensive instinct and is basically a forward playing defense. So other than fitness, nationality and skin tone, what’s the similarity?
I think it's pretty good.

He says himself that he compares his game to Key, so only EJ can answer your question directly.

Miller is a converted forward, so he obviously had more offensive development early on. It's an overstatement to say that he's "basically a forward playing defense." He's worked on his defensive game for a few years before being drafted, so it's not like Brian Boyle being a desperation D or anything. LOL

If this kid watched a more skilled player work on his simple D game and focused on that aspect, then he could end up bringing a "similar game" but with less offense yet fewer gaffes. I think that's pretty good.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
The best thing about him is that he’s a good skater already. Everything else revolves around that.

Go to ND, play in the WJC, grow into your body and let’s see where you are in the 3 years.
"Already a good skater," is a HUGE plus.

Miller isn't a comp, that's pretty lazy on the media types that are making it.
I'm just catching up, and someone else said it on this page, but dudeman made that comparison himself. It certainly "would be" lazy if scouts or analysts said it, but they're simply quoting him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Again the things he has you can not teach. Pretty much the most freakish athlete in the draft.
Give him some time at the college level. Every single pick at #30 is a risk with flaws.

"Already a good skater," is a HUGE plus.

I'm just catching up, and someone else said it on this page, but dudeman made that comparison himself. It certainly "would be" lazy if scouts or analysts said it, but they're simply quoting him.
Yeah I think the kid said he compares his game to Miller.
If he turns out to be a Brandon Carlo type that's a huge win.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
View attachment 889093

I'd say a lot of the Miller comparisons come from the fact that he is Emery's role-model (and that it's a Rangers pick)
I swear I saw the thumbnail and thought he was pandering and saying Will Cuylle. Oh. Oh, no. Yeah. That makes sense. Nevermind. That's actually a pretty good answer. =)

I mean Trouba and Lindgren fall into that category even if they’re ass lol

K’Andre kind of does as well cause he stinks at offense

I’m not sure how anyone looks at what happened with this team and says “yeah, we need more defensemen who can’t generate shit for offense”
Trouba and Lindgren were "ass" as the defensive conscience of the team, and you're going hard in the other direction.

If Fox, Miller, and Jones can move the puck forward on three different pairs, then hell yeah we can use someone that plays defensive D and not worry about their offense.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
This guy jumps
IMG_2355.png

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
He plays nothing like Miller. It's a lazy-ass comparison because they are both black and good skaters.
It's the comparison he himself made. He also said his dream teammate is Willy O'Ree. It's not laziness, it's the recognition of representation. If it wasn't a direct quote, then pundits saying it would be dumb as hell. Yeah. But it wasn't like that.

I said elsewhere that Emery reminds me of a finesse-oriented Erik Cernak. He's so good defensively.
And then you say something so spot on. LOL

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
This is one of the main reasons NyR can’t win a cup on a consistent basis.

Let’s keep drafting the Mcilrath type of D in round 1? How has that gone so far?

Everyone knows defensive defenseman can be bought in free agency. Geez. It’s like NYR refuse to learn.

There were many talented guys like Chernyshev still on the board😳😭🤬🤬🤬
At 30th, it's kind of expected to get somewhat of a project. At least we took McIlrath at 30th this time instead of 10th.
Are you guys calling him McIlrath based on anything other than his lack of a Wikipedia page?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It takes guys a long time to marry the physical gifts he has. The best wingspan in the draft? There are 6'7 dudes in the draft. It's a lot to put together when you are a lanky player. We're talking about a player that hasn't grown into their body. He's basically a frame of what he can be. Might be looking at 6'3 215LB when things are all said and done, maybe even a little taller if he hasn't maxed out at 18.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I made up my own list and had Emery at #25 so I think it's a very good pick. I had two other guys still on board and above him in Pulkkinen and Chernyshov. By the time Drury etc. headed up to the stage to make the pick I was pretty sure it was going to be Emery and not just because that's what all the announcers were saying though for many of the same reasons. Drury and the Rangers have always liked USNTDP players and my guess was the Rangers preferred a defenseman over a forward....particularly a Russian forward like Chernyshov. I would have swung more for the fences with Pulkkinen but most people I think see him as a 2nd round guy. All in all I'm good with this though.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Don’t think it’s a trash pick but for once can they draft for ceiling? Should be looking for star players, not defensive d men. There was a lot of higher ceiling players left

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Emery was the pick for a few months. There was speculation Emery would go higher after his under 18 play. San Jose at #14 before Grier traded for pick #11. Skjei was a US development product. The Rangers took him late 1st round pick in 2012. Brady will be signing a HUGE contract on Monday, Emery was a good pick. People here don't know their ass from their elbows.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I like this pick, dude is a beast and will take his time at und to work on all aspects of his game. Everyone said this draft had a huge drop off after 15 or so(besides guys who fell like eiserman. Damn islanders for getting him!) I think nyr went safe for a guy who at minimum can be an elite shut down 3rd pairing guy who prevents people from getting to the net. Passing he’ll def need to work on but he’s got time develop those skills before being nhl ready. seems like once he can get the puck he can’t skate it out of the zone himself by warding off opposing players. Nyr need guys who can get the puck out any other way besides chipping off the glass back to the other team. All that being said I really wanted Stiga, so hopefully nyr get an early second for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad