Draft R1 #30: Rangers select EJ Emery (RHD, USNTDP/USHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It's like drafting a cover corner in the NFL. Dude has a chance to be a lockdown defender on a shutdown pairing. His skating is also really good.

We're looking 3-4 years down the road and you've got Fox at 30 and Schenider at 26. We could use a young RHD at that time to step in and fill a role.

I'd have preferred a LHD is anything because it is Miller, Jones, Fortescue, and not much else, but I can see the value in the RHD.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I mean Trouba and Lindgren fall into that category even if they’re ass lol

K’Andre kind of does as well cause he stinks at offense

I’m not sure how anyone looks at what happened with this team and says “yeah, we need more defensemen who can’t generate shit for offense”
I mean he scored 43 points basically almost all at ES at what 22 years old? I am hoping we see more of that K'Andre in the future.
Was disappointing not to see some of that last year especially in the playoffs.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
This is one of the main reasons NyR can’t win a cup on a consistent basis.

Let’s keep drafting the Mcilrath type of D in round 1? How has that gone so far?

Everyone knows defensive defenseman can be bought in free agency. Geez. It’s like NYR refuse to learn.

There were many talented guys like Chernyshev still on the board😳😭🤬🤬🤬
THANK YOU! There haven't been nearly enough reactions like this yet. I actually thought this board was maybe losing its draft day touch but you've restored the faith...

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
No, outside of healthy Adam Fox, we need all of our defenseman and the core as whole to be better in general/at everything. Defending, moving the puck out, avoiding mistakes, contributing offensively etc.
Yes, but our D group was 3rd in scoring this year. They can contribute on that end. We have a need for a stay at home guy who is actually good at defending and not bleed chances against. With the number 30th pick you are not getting a Fox, Hughes, or Makar.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
THANK YOU! There haven't been nearly enough reactions like this yet. I actually thought this board was maybe losing its draft day touch but you've restored the faith...

Yes, a random non-Rangers fan comparing a phenomenally athletic, amazing skater picked at 30 to McIlrath is "restoring the faith."

I was going to trip balls tomorrow, but perhaps I should just do it tonight at this point.

I mean he scored 43 points basically almost all at ES at what 22 years old? I am hoping we see more of that K'Andre in the future.
Was disappointing not to see some of that last year especially in the playoffs.

Yep. As said before, Emery is actually an ideal partner for Miller. If Miller is still on the Rangers when Emery hits, I'd love to see that pair. Miller needs a steady guy with him.

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
The chances of this guy becoming Tanev are very small first of all. Second of all our defense was not the main issue this season. We couldn’t keep the puck inside of Floridas zone for more than 5 seconds…it was sad to watch.
I think his point is that getting a good defensive d man in free agency is expensive and a draw back in a cap league. You want to draft them so you can backfill your corps on ELC and RFA contracts, just like we are currently doing with bottom six forwards instead of paying thru the nose for a Goodrow…

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Yes, a random non-Rangers fan comparing a phenomenally athletic, amazing skater picked at 30 to McIlrath is "restoring the faith."

I was going to trip balls tomorrow, but perhaps I should just do it tonight at this point.

Yep. As said before, Emery is actually an ideal partner for Miller. If Miller is still on the Rangers when Emery hits, I'd love to see that pair. Miller needs a steady guy with him.
and I was worried I'd overcooked the sarcasm...

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The chances of this guy becoming Tanev are very small first of all. Second of all our defense was not the main issue this season. We couldn’t keep the puck inside of Floridas zone for more than 5 seconds…it was sad to watch.
Our defense was absolutely the reason they didn't advance. They were atrocious against Florida and we couldn't keep the puck in Florida's end because we were getting pummeled in our end shift after shift.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
and I was worried I'd overcooked the sarcasm...

Oh damn lmfao. Whoops.

Our defense was absolutely the reason they didn't advance. They were atrocious against Florida and we couldn't keep the puck in Florida's end because we were getting pummeled in our end shift after shift.

What do you expect from some rando comparing the pick to f***ing McIlrath

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
You don't draft based on need or style. You draft based on ability. In 2010, the Rangers needed big D and had plenty of C (Stepan, Dubi, Anisimov and Boyle), but something tells me they'd have been better off drafting Jaden Schwartz or Kuznetsov than McIlrath.

Take the player most likely to succeed, worry about how he fits later.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I rather enjoy Drury seemingly focusing on the less sexy aspects of a well rounded team.

You know who focused on high-end skill? Buffalo. Reinhardt. Eichel. Nylander. Mittlestadt. Dahlin. Cozens. Quinn. Power. Rosen. Savoie. Ostlund. Kulich. Benson. Every one of them an offense first player with high end skill for ten straight drafts in the first round.

Why can't we be like Buffalo, everyone asks. Why can't we have the Sabres dynasty, they mournfully wail. They can't keep getting away with this, they cry.

WON'T SOMEONE STOP ALL OF BUFFALO'S HIGH END SKILL.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
This is true but I think some think there was some dynamic high scoring dman that could do it all at pick number 30 this year. Emery was arguably BPA and a fit for what they lack.
His hockeydb page sucks how am I supposed to beat off to that?

This is all Mark Ciaccio's fault.

• Haha
Reactions: Kendo

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
This dude has a looooooong way to go

For reference, Lindgren was significantly better offensively at ntdp. That is how inept he is

But if we aren't really expecting offence from him, does it matter?
The real issue will be whether in about 3 years can he effectively break up zone entries and then quickly and accurately put the puck on the stick of Laf or Gabe. If he can do that and it doesn't result in assists for him, noone will care about 'offensive production'.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
FB_IMG_1719634408790.jpg

Puck decisions can be an adventure ugh

Passes into traffic and causes turnovers. Yay Miller 2.0 lol

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad