Confirmed with Link: Quinn Hughes wins the James Norris Memorial Trophy (Top Defensemen)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Side note, I did enjoy what Burke said about the draft interview process and how he would ask a random question to throw the prospects off, as most of them were likely to give coached answers to the standard questions.

And how he said Yakupov was an arrogant little shit who got put on the Leafs' no draft list.
As big an ego Burke has, he pretty much gives most of the credit for the drafting of the Sedins to other people. He doesn't get credit enough though for making those deal(s) possible (all that 'wheeling & dealing'). Burke at his best there.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I had been sitting on the fence, but now I would say he’s the best defenceman the Canucks have ever had.
Öhlund has dropped to #2.
Öhlund might've made it closer (though still in distant second) with two good eyes. Dale Tallon might've been in the vicinity as well (though still in the next tier) had the team decided to actually use him as a defenseman all the time & kept him.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Huggy Bear with the well deserved win! He put it all together this year and really took a giant step forward. Improving his goal scoring and defensive game. Super excited for him and bout time east coast voters stayed up late enough to watch.

Reactions: NorCalhockey

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Can we all take time to truly appreciate the GM who was responsible for bringing Hughes to Vancouver?

View attachment 888311

Combined with:

f58b62b7-ca7e-48a3-9c1b-4efe0f5960ad-XXX__John_Chayka_16149.jpeg

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Thankfully the 2018 draft class was really weak for centers, and Montreal and Arizona both went reaching based on need. I have a hard time faulting Detroit for taking Zadina over Hughes, I would have done the same thing at the time.
Even Bouchard, a defenseman taken a couple spots after Hughes turned into a pretty decent defenseman for the Oilers.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Thankfully the 2018 draft class was really weak for centers, and Montreal and Arizona both went reaching based on need. I have a hard time faulting Detroit for taking Zadina over Hughes, I would have done the same thing at the time.
For a team that always seems to have like a billion draft picks. Under this management group, it's weird to me that they would have reached. Just for a cen, there weren't any good ones. Really, because what are you not gonna draft? Another 100000 times next year. Anyway question mark

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i think this is the full awards tally:

calder: bure
adams: quinn
2AST: mclean
1AST: bure
2AST: mogilny
1AST: naslund
lindsay: naslund
2AST: bertuzzi
2AST: luongo
adams: AV
hart: henrik
1AST: henrik
2AST: daniel
lindsay: daniel
selke: kesler
1AST: daniel
1AST: henrik
calder: petey
norris: hughes
adams: tocchet
1AST: hughes
2AST: demko

our franchise award total grew by 20% this year

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! I'd forgotten how many first and second NHL all-star teams the Sedin twins actually made during their careers.

Little wonder they were virtually first-ballot Hall of Famers......almost inevitable that we'll never see the likes of them again in Vancouver. So fortunate that ownership has retained them to work with the young prospects and the scouting department.

Have to admit I was skeptical when Linden and Aquilini brought the Sedins into the organization. But I was dead wrong. They've been huge additions to the organization with their dedication and knowledge of the game.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
PWHA revealed the voter breakdown for the awards. Did a quick glance through, and almost everyone who didn't vote Hughes 1st was based on the east coast :laugh:

Big shocker, I know. Also anyone who voted Makar this year is out to lunch, dude is probably still the best defensemen in the league but last season he wasn't playing at that level.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
PWHA revealed the voter breakdown for the awards. Did a quick glance through, and almost everyone who didn't vote Hughes 1st was based on the east coast :laugh:

Big shocker, I know. Also anyone who voted Makar this year is out to lunch, dude is probably still the best defensemen in the league but last season he wasn't playing at that level.

link?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad