HF Habs: Quebec Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Leblanc was definitely picked around where he was ranked - I just didn't want him.

But even though I didn't want him (I wanted Kreider or Josefson and had Josefson ahead, so I'm not saying I would have made the right choice either), I can also admit the way they handled him sucked complete ass and helped destroy a career where he could have been a bottom 6 player.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
This is long overdue - hockey Quebec (and Hockey Canada, quite frankly) has been stuck in 90s hockey for too long. It's time to evolve and grow beyond this.

Frankly the Canadiens should have been investing in Hockey Quebec from a player to executive level for a long time, but they're too stupid.
If I could vote for the post of the month, you would get my vote with this one. Many teams in the NHL does it, it's not normal that one of the richest team in a market, where hockey is the most important sport and where it's more important to have local player/staff, doesn't invest in there hockey minor. It would be more profitable for themselves to, they would probably get more fans in the young generation because I notice that a lot of young fans are fans of an other team in the NHL (teams with superstar) and they don't have that much interest in the Habs.

Leblanc was definitely picked around where he was ranked - I just didn't want him.

But even though I didn't want him (I wanted Kreider or Josefson and had Josefson ahead, so I'm not saying I would have made the right choice either), I can also admit the way they handled him sucked complete ass and helped destroy a career where he could have been a bottom 6 player.
Agree, Leblanc was probably one of the worst development I saw. I don't think he could have become an impact top 6 player, but I do think he could have been a Phillip Danault type of player. Before 2012, his career was going in the right trajectory even If I don't think that brining him in the Q was the right decision. He had a good start in Hamilton, but they call him up when he was probably not ready and they keep him for the rest of the season in a really bad year. The expectation where just always way to high on him (A little bit like Poehling) and I don't think he had the tools to handle that pressure.

What's wrong with that? I think it is important. It's cool that culture is a big part of the franchise. If I was a Rangers fan - I'd similarly think it'd be pretty cool to have NY based players on the team, if possible. Doesn't mean you take a "lesser" player just because he's born here, but still.

I've always found Marc Denis to be extremely sharp and capable on the RDS broadcasts. Hopefully this is a good thing.

A lot of teams that have big pool of young player draft local players and try to bring local player. Boston does it a lot

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
You can develop all you want...the real issue will be trying to convince the STAR Quebec players to play in Montreal....life is pretty sweet down in Tampa for example

Reactions: hvac412

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Exactly - even the arguments are boiled down to this here.

Habs should draft every player from the Q whether or not they suck.. but then never ask the team to invest at the ground roots so that there is more talent available (and that they may have more visibility to by following them through various funded programs).

And if you're only going to hire bilingual and quebecois coaches/GMs, you sure as hell better be investing in the development of people from this region.

Unfortunately I think the reason they don't is
A - they don't care about winning, they care about profits so investing is not something they want to do to WIN
B -They don't want to invest in anyone and have them go somewhere else and be successful. Which is a completely outdated and dumb way to think.
First of Le Club de Hockey Canadien is a private business not the Salvation Army, their first order of business is to maximize profits.

Secondly, just an in any business nowadays (and for some time now), it’s proven to be fraught with high risk, and more inefficient to spend on R&D internally vs inorganically growing by buying that capability (or talent in the case of hockey)

The US hockey system has a good partnership with private enterprises, hockey development is done in a for profit basis with private clinics taking over, that’s even the case in OHL and Europe.

As usual, with Quebec’s focus on social programs & govt funding based system… it’s been left far behind in the dust vs all the development leagues.

Innovation is most easily attained in for profit systems..

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I agree with @WeThreeKings . Back in the day, Habs invested a lot in developing leagues in order to recruit homegrown talent. They have failed at being at the forefront of this when they have a totally acquired market to their cause.

This govnmt initiative should have been done by the only true pro franchise of the province.

They invested EVERYWHERE, not just Quebec. Because there was a strong value proposition. It isn't the same with NHL entry draft.

The reality is that the Habs will, like most other teams, invest as part of community outreach. But the goal shouldn't be to see more French Canadiens on the Habs, there is going to have to be substantially more French Canadians in the NHL, and I don't even want to think about how much money that would cost taxpayers.

Reactions: Laurentide

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
In the end, this will probably end up resulting in a greater integration of hockey in schools, possibly up to CEGEP, and since most schools (and CEGEPs) are either state-ran (public schools) or state-funded (private schools), this is probably why there's some kind of governement-led summit on the topic.

Reactions: Toene

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
As much as i agree the Habs should invest more to develop local talent, the fact of the matter is both Hockey Quebec and the QJMHL has been run like shit by PAul Menard and Gilles Courteau.

Their arrogant, archaic vision for the past 35 years has let this province be bypassed by all the rest of the major leagues from around the world.

But hey, according to them, it's been all the Habs fault, so....
and that is exactly why it is great to have a young fresh open mind like denis do this.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Q should produce more players...............none of this helps the habs, because the kids DO NOT want to play for the Habs......................ask the kids why?
We have lost the lore of being a Montreal Canadiens player, because we have not won in almost 30 years.
The kids DO NOT want the daily attention by an insane media presence...
Marc Denis seems like a real bright guy, but none of this will help the habs, it will just help some of the players in the Q make the league...

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
M

Marc denis is one of the smartest hockey minds in quebec, and he might have said its important , but he also said many times, teams need talent wherever they come from.
No better person then him for that role.
A new thinker not a dino
I agree Marc Denis is definitely a forward out of the box thinker. In what context did he say what he did - I believe there’s nuance that’s been lost in translation …

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Q should produce more players...............none of this helps the habs, because the kids DO NOT want to play for the Habs......................ask the kids why?
We have lost the lore of being a Montreal Canadiens player, because we have not won in almost 30 years.
The kids DO NOT want the daily attention by an insane media presence...
Marc Denis seems like a real bright guy, but none of this will help the habs, it will just help some of the players in the Q make the league...
“Back in the day” players had no rights as well as very few desirable options - how many teams back in the day played in sunny beach & Oceanside communities with no winter to speak of?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
As much as i agree the Habs should invest more to develop local talent, the fact of the matter is both Hockey Quebec and the QJMHL has been run like shit by PAul Menard and Gilles Courteau.

Their arrogant, archaic vision for the past 35 years has let this province be bypassed by all the rest of the major leagues from around the world.

But hey, according to them, it's been all the Habs fault, so....

This.

As long as these guys will be there, any plans to revamp hockey in Quebec are bound to fail.

Reactions: MXD

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
You can develop all you want...the real issue will be trying to convince the STAR Quebec players to play in Montreal....life is pretty sweet down in Tampa for example
Star Quebec players where?
Anaheim none
Calgary none
Edmonton none
Los Angeles none
San Jose none
Seattle none
Vancouver none
Vegas none
Arizona none
Chicago none
Colorado none
Dallas none
Minnesota none
Nashville none
St-Louis none
Winnipeg Dubois?
Carolina none
Columbus none
New Jersey none
New York Islanders none
New York Rangers none
Philadelphia none
Pittsburgh Letang is almost 35 year olds
Washington none
Boston Bergeron is turning 37 next year
Buffalo none
Detroit none
Florida Huberdeau
Montreal none
Ottawa none (Chabot aint no star)
Tampa none
Toronto none

Dubois Huberdeau and old guard Letang and Bergeron
Before getting 1 on the habs , perhaps they should produce more than 1 every 5 years

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I agree Marc Denis is definitely a forward out of the box thinker. In what context did he say what he did - I believe there’s nuance that’s been lost in translation …
yes . if i remember correctly, he was saying it in a way not to contradict the politicians and the people who made a fuss about the subject when we had non playing.
So yes there is a huge nuance , and much that is lost in translation.

Reactions: Mandala

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
You're going to have to give me more details:

At which time is Marc Denis speaking? I tried to go forward and backwards and it just seems to be a 15 minute video of Joel Bouchard speaking above a Francois Gagnon article.

Also, the phrase you're quoting, especially without context, doesn't suggest what you said at the beginning of the thread as ill-spirited and could easily be construed as an appeal that we shouldn't worry about players names (i.e., it's not a big deal if some players are named Smith)

I'd like to remind you that you're responding to a dishonest user.

Reactions: Mandala

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Would it be wrong to point out Quebec businesses have been desperately lobbying the government to speed up process & increase number of immigrants being brought into province due to tremendous labor shortage …. all comes back to the root cause, an aging population demographic and not many young kids on the way

Its going to be hard for Quebec under those circumstances to magically increase the number of francophone players.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Would it be wrong to point out Quebec businesses have been desperately lobbying the government to speed up process & increase number of immigrants being brought into province due to tremendous labor shortage …. all comes back to the root cause, an aging population demographic.

Its going to be hard for Quebec under those circumstances to magically increase the number of francophone players.

Most immigrants are francophones. Like, Ramzi Abid wasn't an immigrant (though given his DOB, I'll venture to guess his parents were) but I don't see any way he wouldn't be considered a francophone player.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Most immigrants are francophones. Like, Ramzi Abid wasn't an immigrant (though given his DOB, I'll venture to guess his parents were) but I don't see any way he wouldn't be considered a francophone player.
But how many of those immigrant kids from la francophonie are interested in hockey vs soccer or basketball?

Reactions: lilmaxo

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
But how many of those immigrant kids from la francophonie are interested in hockey vs soccer or basketball?

I mean, from my experience growing up, a lot. Everybody likes the Habs and hockey. Basketball and soccer are just a ton cheaper to play. Of course, some just prefer to play soccer or basketball or whatever, but so long as you're born here or come at a really young age, there's really nothing that stops you from appreciating the sport. Playing it is just much more of a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Oryxo and ArtPeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad