HF Habs: Quebec Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
QC hockey is gonna be fine. Lafreniere is a lock to go #1 OA and he'll be a franchise player in the NHL.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
A major concern for me is the off-ice training. I work out with a physical preparator for a team in the Q, I also workout with some midget AAA players and they aren't good at all strength and explosiveness-wise. He told me he constantly has to teach basic movements like squats, deadlifts and we're not even talking power cleans or other explosive movements they should already be doing. He used to prepare midget AAA kids (we're talking elite kids in their region) and he had to spend a lot of time team teaching basic movements and they didn't have a strong enough base in strength. It's not just an issue in the Q. I'd say hockey players, in general, don't take their off-ice training seriously enough. That being said, definitely something to work on as far as I'm concerned.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
This is long overdue - hockey Quebec (and Hockey Canada, quite frankly) has been stuck in 90s hockey for too long. It's time to evolve and grow beyond this.

Frankly the Canadiens should have been investing in Hockey Quebec from a player to executive level for a long time, but they're too stupid.

I wish the Quebec media would be more critical of this instead of just focusing on smaller picture items like number of players on the team from Quebec/management speaking French.

Habs should lead the way and initiate growing the game in Quebec and have front row seats in scouting everyone. They make so much money from Quebec and the way it's spent seems like just lining their own pockets. Assuming Quebec will just continue to support the Habs and love hockey without effort for growth is the lazy/cheap way. Smaller market teams like Tampa actually have to spend a portion of their budget to grow the game in their region.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
One of the main things I think they have to look at is the cost of the game. Unlike soccer that has become so popular, or swimming, baseball, basketball, etc. Hockey is an expensive sport due to the equipment and the need for a frozen surface. They might have to look at cities having more equipment to loan. I remember when I was in novice and atom in the 80s, the city of Dollard des Ormeaux, where I lived, had goalie equipment to load kids and some other player equipment. I believe some football organizations still provide helmets, pants and shoulder pads for players which makes it more accessible.

They might also want to invest more in things like floor hockey and roller hockey. A good way to help promote hockey in general and for players to practice certain skills when an ice surface in not available. Public parks often have baseball diamonds, soccer/football fields and basketball courts. Why not some parks with permanent boards set up for hockey?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wish the Quebec media would be more critical of this instead of just focusing on smaller picture items like number of players on the team from Quebec/management speaking French.

Habs should lead the way and initiate growing the game in Quebec and have front row seats in scouting everyone. They make so much money from Quebec and the way it's spent seems like just lining their own pockets. Assuming Quebec will just continue to support the Habs and love hockey without effort for growth is the lazy/cheap way. Smaller market teams like Tampa actually have to spend a portion of their budget to grow the game in their region.

Exactly - even the arguments are boiled down to this here.

Habs should draft every player from the Q whether or not they suck.. but then never ask the team to invest at the ground roots so that there is more talent available (and that they may have more visibility to by following them through various funded programs).

And if you're only going to hire bilingual and quebecois coaches/GMs, you sure as hell better be investing in the development of people from this region.

Unfortunately I think the reason they don't is
A - they don't care about winning, they care about profits so investing is not something they want to do to WIN
B -They don't want to invest in anyone and have them go somewhere else and be successful. Which is a completely outdated and dumb way to think.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
This is an amazing development that I have been following for a while. With Thibault at the helm of Hockey Quebec too, I think we will see a much needed kick in the guts of this jurassic institution.

Growing up in organized hockey here in Quebec was awful. Full of political BS from parent coaches, 0 flexibility with age limits, which could screw a players development hard if he was born on September 30th for example.

To be honest, I am looking at this year's Olympics rosters and I am getting scared that the US will become better than Canada if we don't steer the ship fast.

Anyway, I hope this turns out for the best... I love the game of Hockey, NHL or not... it's the best sport on the planet by far!

Last edited:

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The next city to receive a franchise should be Quebec City. Unfortunately, Le Government du Quebec doesn’t have the funds to contribute to its financing.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What's wrong with that? I think it is important. It's cool that culture is a big part of the franchise. If I was a Rangers fan - I'd similarly think it'd be pretty cool to have NY based players on the team, if possible. Doesn't mean you take a "lesser" player just because he's born here, but still.

I've always found Marc Denis to be extremely sharp and capable on the RDS broadcasts. Hopefully this is a good thing.
So now being born in Quebec is not enough. You have to be from a particular tribe. They have a word for that. If Marc Denis actually said that, then I've lost all f***ing respect for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
The next city to receive a franchise should be Quebec City. Unfortunately, Le Government du Quebec doesn’t have the funds to contribute to its financing.

Government has already contributed more than enough by funding an Arena in QC. Private money for a franchise is not an issue but money is only one of several factors considered by NHL when assessing potential host cities for a franchise.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
To be honest, I am looking at this year's Olympics rosters and I am getting scared that the US will become better than Canada if we don't steer the ship fast.

Anyway, I hope this turns out for the best... I love the game of Hockey, NHL or not... it's the best sport on the planet by far!

We can also view this as hockey gaining more attention in USA and developing better talent. Hopefully Canada as a whole takes steps to keep on improving - competition is good.

Reactions: Licou

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You sure you didn't misunderstand him.

So now being born in Quebec is not enough. You have to be from a particular tribe. They have a word for that. If Marc Denis actually said that, then I've lost all fcuking respect for him.

Marc Denis : Il n’est pas important pour le Canadien de repêcher des Québécois

Not really sure what that other poster was referring to - but here's a clip of him saying the opposite. Ie - it's not important to draft Quebec players

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Marc Denis : Il n’est pas important pour le Canadien de repêcher des Québécois

Not really sure what that other poster was referring to - but here's a clip of him saying the opposite. Ie - it's not important to draft Quebec players
But you posted agreeing with what he claimed Marc Denis said.

I agree with more Quebec-born players on the team. How many? That's the big question. What I objected to was the comment about players with Quebecois names. I didn't think Marc Denis would have said that but then you jumped in and okayed the comment in your post.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
But you posted agreeing with what he claimed Marc Denis said.

I agree with more Quebec-born players on the team. How many? That's the big question. What I objected to was the comment about players with Quebecois names. I didn't think Marc Denis would have said that but then you jumped in and okayed the comment in your post.

I was more commenting on the part about players being born here, then about the names. Didn't really pay attention to that.

There's often debates about whether we should have more local players or not. I don't mind it, up to a certain point. If you have a local player who wants to play for your team/will be super motivated to, and it'll be more fun for fans to cheer a local player - that's all win/win to me, and that has nothing to do with the Montreal market. I think that's true of all sports. Doesn't mean you pick a lesser local player vs a better non-local player though

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Getting the local player is nice and all but taking one in the first round because the draft is in Montreal when the guy really should not have been picked that high is not good...looking at you Louis Leblanc...

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
As much as i agree the Habs should invest more to develop local talent, the fact of the matter is both Hockey Quebec and the QJMHL has been run like shit by PAul Menard and Gilles Courteau.

Their arrogant, archaic vision for the past 35 years has let this province be bypassed by all the rest of the major leagues from around the world.

But hey, according to them, it's been all the Habs fault, so....

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

It's also not the government's business to directly finance that sort of endeavour (I have no issues with low-or-no interest loans or something liek that).

Reactions: Laurentide

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Getting the local player is nice and all but taking one in the first round because the draft is in Montreal when the guy really should not have been picked that high is not good...looking at you Louis Leblanc...

Leblanc got picked pretty much exactly where he should've.

Reactions: TRG and Franck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad