Euro: Quarterfinals - Netherlands v. Türkiye - July 6

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Valiant comeback effort by Turkey towards the end, but Verbruggen made a couple of good important saves.

Maybe Koeman finally learns not to choose the same starting line-up than today for the England match.
Going to start WW

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
And so it is traditional European powers at it.

Apart from Spain, it's been several football generations since France and Holland won, and England never have, so 3/4 of these countries haven't been big Euro final tournaments powers recently.

Of course they've still done pretty well, France and England reaching finals not long ago.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Holland finishing what Austria should ve done. The most obnoxious fanbase of the tournament in tears, you just hate to see it. The latter as well as that imbecile action by Demirel makes it difficult to give credit to an otherwise entertaining performance by a talented team. Either way, don't let the door hit ya, Turkey.

Why do you say that? Just because of the Demirel incident?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Apart from Spain, it's been several football generations since France and Holland won, and England never have, so 3/4 of these countries haven't been big Euro final tournaments powers.
2 finals including 1 win in the last 6 Euro tournaments for France. And that's because you conviniently ignored the WC (4 finals in the last 7 WC).
So all in all, France has featured in 6 finals in the last 13 WC and EC.

So yes traditional powers.

Can't play football against countries who don't want you to exist. Plus culturally they're closer to Europe than Asia.
Nah they're closer to the US. Should play in the concacaf.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
2 finals including 1 win in the last 6 Euro tournaments for France. And that's because you conviniently ignored the WC (4 finals in the last 7 WC).

I read his post as he was talking about only European tournaments, so that's why ignored the WCs.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
His Mother is Dutch-Canadian so he could've played for Canada
That alone isn't enough without a Canadian passport. Might have got one easier than Sprong of course, but oftentimes these "could have played for Canada because his mother emigrated from the country as a baby" are highly speculative.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Uff Evilo. :)

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Why do you say that? Just because of the Demirel incident?
No, the Demirel thing is just the tip of the iceberg. Everyone who lives in one of the European countries with significant turkish communities knows how unlikeable and disrespectful certain groups (not all, mind you!) of their (nationalist) fans can be.
Even tonight there were many reported cases of the wolf salute in the stands. In Germany by people who likely have German citizenship and who have probably grown up there.

You also saw it in Austrian cities after their win against them along with honking car parades late into the night by people who probably grew up in Austria and have Austrian citizienship. And that's not even mentioning the handful of brawls in the streets during and after the game.

The weirdest thing about this is that those immigrant communities tend to be way more nationalist and right-wing than the people that actually live in Turkey as often evidenced by Turkish election results in which for some reason those immigrants are eligible to vote even though they live abroad and have their host countries citizenship.

Imagine a (ficticious) scenario where Mexican Americans celebrate in the streets of Washington or NYC after beating the US in some sports, displaying Mexican nationalist gestures that essentially include the idea of subdueing and conquering their neighbouring countries.

I don't like or intend to bring politics to this forum, but since it was their fans (and player) that brought it to the stadia, it is justified to be mentioned here.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Those damn foreigners are too loud. How dare they celebrate and be proud of their backward country….

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Those damn foreigners are too loud. How dare they celebrate and be proud of their backward country….
If it were about that, I'd be the first to agree and call it out. The problem is, as I wrote, they usually aren't foreigners. I'm just uber-critical of nationalism per se, especially if it's my compatriots. And that's the problem, isn't it. You can't really criticize right-wing extremist behaviour, but then selectively tolerate it just because it occurs within a group of descendants of immigrants.

Reactions: luiginb

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Last time the Euros took place in Germany the Dutch ended up winning the trophy. I would think England will be favored in their semi, but you never know. These Dutch are a much worse team than the 88 team, but anything can happen in these games and it's not like England will try for a game with a lot of goals. It will probably be a fairly ugly, tense affair and anyone can land the lucky punch there.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If it were about that, I'd be the first to agree and call it out. The problem is, as I wrote, they usually aren't foreigners. I'm just uber-critical of nationalism per se, especially if it's my compatriots. And that's the problem, isn't it. You can't really criticize right-wing extremist behaviour, but then selectively tolerate it just because it occurs within a group of descendants of immigrants.
Go read any of my posts on nationalism. To ME its all nonsense. I just dont see the issue of someone celebrating it regardless of where they were born they clearly have a deep connect to the country of their parents. WHO are WE to tell them not to?

Hell when I used to watch hockey I actively rooted for the US over Canada.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Go read any of my posts on nationalism. To ME its all nonsense. I just dont see the issue of someone celebrating it regardless of where they were born they clearly have a deep connect to the country of their parents. WHO are WE to tell them not to?

Hell when I used to watch hockey I actively rooted for the US over Canada.
Having a deep connect to the country of their parents is not the problem. Like at all. Being and behaving like right-wing extremists in public, however, is.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, there's no problem with people celebrating the country of their origin (I cheer for mine ahead of Canada as well, albeit not for nationalistic reasons although I am attached to both - they're just a better squad and program lol) but if it's used to in turn try and propagate or celebrate some sort of fascist movement, that clearly turns into an issue albeit I suppose it's hard to determine which is which unless the person is making the sign that got the Turkish player suspended I suppose.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
One of the most entertaining matches this tournament. Part of me wonders if the refs were slightly partial to Turkey, perhaps fearing fan reactions, and what caused that Turkish sub to get a red card outright. Must have said or done something really nasty.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Imagine a (ficticious) scenario where Mexican Americans celebrate in the streets of Washington or NYC after beating the US in some sports, displaying Mexican nationalist gestures that essentially include the idea of subdueing and conquering their neighbouring countries.

You don't have to image in. In the Rose Bowl, when the US and mexican soccer teams played each other, the mexican fans living in the US cheered for mexico and booed the US team.

I was thrilled that turkey lost today. Thrilled.

• Love
Reactions: CasusBelli

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
To me, the point here is extremely not that Turkish-Germans are rooting for Turkey, the point is that Turkish-Germans are writ large A LOT more extremely right wing than Turkish people living in Turkey.

It’s not ‘how dare they celebrate a country other than the one they live in’
Can't wait to see how bad the next World Cups are with 48 teams.
Honestly games with bad teams have been way better than games with good ones

Reactions: luiginb

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You don't have to image in. In the Rose Bowl, when the US and mexican soccer teams played each other, the mexican fans living in the US cheered for mexico and booed the US team.

I was thrilled that turkey lost today. Thrilled.

That's so goddamn far from what the poster you're replying to was talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad