Speculation: Qualifying Offers

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You shouldn't be okay with the Flames writing any prospect off that has work ethic and any form of potential which Nemisz still does.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
No. I'm surprised he received a QO.

Why? He has had one poor season, and that was after a significant off-season injury.

As a rookie he led the Abbotsford Heat in point production before being called up to finish the year in the NHL with Calgary, and then followed that up with another strong all around season as a second year pro. He has good size, a smart hockey mind, a soft set of mitts and a good work ethic. His skating is obviously an issue that will prevent him from reaching the potential that he was initially believed to have, but I certainly still believe that he can become a solid contributor to an NHL team in a bottom six capacity.

He is a good kid and I hope for both his sake and ours that he gets back on track this season.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
You shouldn't be okay with the Flames writing any prospect off that has work ethic and any form of potential which Nemisz still does.

Was that directed at me?

I want Nemisz to be successful, but I if there's better players that need those contracts and there's only so many contracts to go around, I'm OK with parting ways. His potential to be a career AHLer is great for helping Abby win games, but that's not enough to receive a QO when other players have higher potential.

But all the best to Nemisz and his career. I wish him all the luck in the world

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was that directed at me?

I want Nemisz to be successful, but I if there's better players that need those contracts and there's only so many contracts to go around, I'm OK with parting ways. His potential to be a career AHLer is great for helping Abby win games, but that's not enough to receive a QO when other players have higher potential.

But all the best to Nemisz and his career. I wish him all the luck in the world
What better players need those contracts? The Flames currently have 31 contracts on the books plus 9 RFAs, that's still 10 contract spaces to do with as they please while having a (more than) full NHL roster.

Nemisz was constantly improving before 1 poor injury plagued season and you want to write him off because he is "slow"? What sense does that make? History it littered with poor skating forward that had great careers, it's too soon to write him off.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Whoa Nelly. I said id be OK with it. I'm indifferent to a player who's looked borderline useless in all of his call ups that I've seen for the past 2 seasons. Could he help Abby win? Sure, but those guys are a dime a dozen

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's frightening. Our management believes you can teach skating but after 4 or 5 years in the minors he still can't skate.
3 seasons in the minors. 1 of which (this year) he suffered a serious injury, why is it so difficult for people to make accurate statements?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For all the talk about not rushing Monahn, Nemisz sure gets the short end of the stick.

Power forwards take longer to develop.

And what's this about not being a good skater? Good is exactly where I'd rank him. Not great. Not poor. Just good. Did he lose a step after his injury?
No, he is just more awkward than slow.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Flames fans have an unhealthy obsession with Aliu and an uncalled for hate for Nemisz.. I'll put this out there, Nemo is almost the same size as Aliu, a year younger, never had any questions about his attitude, works harder, and has out produced Aliu at every level. Yet we get comments asking why Nemo was qualified and Aliu was not. Nemisz has had one bad season as a pro, cut the kid a break, especially considering all the breaks we're apparently willing to cut Aliu, and guys like Mitch Wahl (who wasn't qualified either btw).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames fans have an unhealthy obsession with Aliu and an uncalled for hate for Nemisz.. I'll put this out there, Nemo is almost the same size as Aliu, a year younger, never had any questions about his attitude, works harder, and has out produced Aliu at every level. Yet we get comments asking why Nemo was qualified and Aliu was not. Nemisz has had one bad season as a pro, cut the kid a break, especially considering all the breaks we're apparently willing to cut Aliu, and guys like Mitch Wahl (who wasn't qualified either btw).

Like_1.jpg

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I don't hate on Nemisz but the reason I like Aliu isn't for his offense it is because he is willing and able to do things Nemisz can't and that is be a very effective enforcer.

Aliu was qualified too? Why?

No he was not.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

6'4" 230 is not the same as 6'3" 197. That's a big difference, so no, they aren't almost the same size. Aliu came up and played with edge, hit fiercely and frequently. Nemisz came up and tried not to make any mistakes. He hit no one and played soft while skating poorly. There is no question Aliu has way more physical tools.

That said, I wouldn't have qualified either of them. I wouldn't have qualified Byron either, but Jay has to since he was "an important" element of the Regehr trade.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
6'4" 230 is not the same as 6'3" 197. That's a big difference, so no, they aren't almost the same size. Aliu came up and played with edge, hit fiercely and frequently. Nemisz came up and tried not to make any mistakes. He hit no one and played soft while skating poorly. There is no question Aliu has way more physical tools.

That said, I wouldn't have qualified either of them. I wouldn't have qualified Byron either, but Jay has to since he was "an important" element of the Regehr trade.

Two years ago he did, yes, at the end of the season. And he was justly rewarded with another call-up this year. During that more recent stint, however, he glided around, stumbled with the puck, only threw a couple of hits and usually missed, and took penalties.

I don't think anyone would want to let him go right now if he'd played this year the way he did the previous one.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't hate on Nemisz but the reason I like Aliu isn't for his offense it is because he is willing and able to do things Nemisz can't and that is be a very effective enforcer.
Effective enforcer? Those 2 games when he was first called up were an aberration, he NEVER broughtt hat game in the AHL. The guy has 9 fights in 4 years as a pro and never even had more than 4 in a year while in Junior, he doesn't throw his body around very often and is extremely lazy.

Nemisz who was asked to play tougher this year (a major change in his game as he had always been more of a finesse guy) had only 1 less fight than Aliu this year, despite missing much time with an injury. Nemisz had more fights this year than he did the previous 3 seasons combined.

His game is being transformed, this takes time and people need to be patient.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Two years ago he did, yes, at the end of the season. And he was justly rewarded with another call-up this year. During that more recent stint, however, he glided around, stumbled with the puck, only threw a couple of hits and usually missed, and took penalties.

I don't think anyone would want to let him go right now if he'd played this year the way he did the previous one.
the bolded is how he played in Abbotsford more often than not too. Aliu has no drive and no passion for the game. He is not willing to do what the organization asks of him in terms of his style of play.

brewski1810

Jul 12, 2010
No body should be defending aliu, waste of contract for a guy that can be easily replaced, also feel this way about Paul byron, although we do need a couple vets on the heat to help our guys coming in this year, haven't givin up on nemisz yet, but for me he's got this year to get himself going or we let him go, he needs to find his way on the flames roster when we get injuries, we're going to be a bottom feeder, and if he can't get there this year again, no way he can crack the roster of a better team.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Comparing Aliu and Nemisz is like the tortoise and the hare analogy.

Aliu came in on fire two seasons ago at the end and had a couple of big games.

But in the long run, with ice time and opportunity, Nemisz is a better asset.

I just don't know if he will get the chance. I think if he was given 82 games on the 3rd line, 13-14 minutes a game, key PK role and linemates that can support him then he would be a very good 3rd liner for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad