GDT: QF - CAN vs. SVK May 23, 2024

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Random Thought: It's crazy to me to think about how far we have fallen off in the goalie department.

WTF has happened..?
The position is very expensive even relatively in an already very expensive sport. I think the position has kind of become "uncool" and all the best players want to be skaters where there's more glory. A generation of robot goalies and a feeling amongst NHL teams of "just throw any random guy and hope for the best" compared to the glory days where you had guys like Roy and Hasek who were total rockstars at the position. As far as development, too many teams do the "stand in net and get barraged by pucks and develop in a trial by fire fashion". I think with teenagers especially, a long CHL schedule is less beneficial than really focusing on training and technique. From an advancement standpoint, it's just size, size, size. Whose the biggest guy? That's who moves up. Igor Shesterkin is 6'1. Mason McDonald, Brent Moran, Alec Dillon were the names of the top three Canadian Goaltenders drafted the same year as him. 6'4, 6'4, 6'5. Arguably the best "up and comer" Canadian Goaltender is Devon Levi, not a big guy himself at only 6'0. He was only a 7th round pick and would be seen as a "late bloomer". Who knows how many guys get missed out on because they're passed over because of size.

Reactions: Eco

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I admit I haven't been paying attention to this, but I am surprised QC has only one player on the team, that being PLD of course.
We've been on it for years now................where are our french superstars? Something has to be done in Quebec, like yesterday.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Quebec is in trouble hockey wise. Miles behind Ontario and BC right now.
True.

I'm happy that Laf is looking better and better and would be happy if he won a cup this year.

But with the rapid decline of Huberdeau, there really aren't a massive amount of quebecois talent in the league.

Reactions: jj cale

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Who is your pick?
Aiden Hill

The position is very expensive even relatively in an already very expensive sport. I think the position has kind of become "uncool" and all the best players want to be skaters where there's more glory. A generation of robot goalies and a feeling amongst NHL teams of "just throw any random guy and hope for the best" compared to the glory days where you had guys like Roy and Hasek who were total rockstars at the position. As far as development, too many teams do the "stand in net and get barraged by pucks and develop in a trial by fire fashion". I think with teenagers especially, a long CHL schedule is less beneficial than really focusing on training and technique. From an advancement standpoint, it's just size, size, size. Whose the biggest guy? That's who moves up. Igor Shesterkin is 6'1. Mason McDonald, Brent Moran, Alec Dillon were the names of the top three Canadian Goaltenders drafted the same year as him. 6'4, 6'4, 6'5. Arguably the best "up and comer" Canadian Goaltender is Devon Levi, not a big guy himself at only 6'0. He was only a 7th round pick and would be seen as a "late bloomer". Who knows how many guys get missed out on because they're passed over because of size.
I don't disagree with this at all, but what an insane way to think about goalies, when you watch the NHL and you see the teams that go deep in the playoffs.

Goalies include Igor, Ottinger, Bob, Skinner.

2 of those are top 5 in the league, Ott is probably 6-8, and Skinner is blessed with a very talented roster.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
True.

I'm happy that Laf is looking better and better and would be happy if he won a cup this year.

But with the rapid decline of Huberdeau, there really aren't a massive amount of quebecois talent in the league.
Even crazier, not many goalies. I am old enough to remember the World Jr's when a common comment was 'if Canada could give every nation a Quebec goalie it'd be closer'. And it was true at the time. That Quebec goalie factory is behind Latvia today. Which is shocking to me.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Slovakias best shift of the game.. came out awesome and really pushing. I thought it might be 6-0 after those first 5 minutes.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't disagree with this at all, but what an insane way to think about goalies, when you watch the NHL and you see the teams that go deep in the playoffs.

Goalies include Igor, Ottinger, Bob, Skinner.

2 of those are top 5 in the league, Ott is probably 6-8, and Skinner is blessed with a very talented roster.
Yeah I think the meta is probably gonna shift back here. It was really a symptom of DPE 2.0 where every goalie had really high save percentages with their big pads, and it was viewed as a poor allocation of cap space to spend highly on a goaltender because they wouldn't be that much better than "random guy". But you look today and you see a lot of teams that are having major issues with goaltending, and it's much harder to just find a random guy on the cheap.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada with multiple off sides not called. One of these times, it's gonna cost us a goal.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Even crazier, not many goalies. I am old enough to remember the World Jr's when a common comment was 'if Canada could give every nation a Quebec goalie it'd be closer'. And it was true at the time. That Quebec goalie factory is behind Latvia today. Which is shocking to me.
It's a sad sign of the times.

The goalies from this province were once a pride of the area, but now we basically are hoping Levi can become a legend, Monty continues to improve, and that MAF never retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad