World Cup: QF: Brazil vs. Belgium, 7/6/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Posted in the Beligium/Japan thread, but it's relevant here:

Belgium need de bruyne and mertens to show up if they want to beat Brazil. And Lukaku needs to actually finish. Really good on the final break (both the run and the dummy), but two open headers from 6 yards out today, one went wide and one was straight at the keeper.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
That 3-4-3 Belgium is playing leaves acres of space open. Neither Meunier nor Carrasco defend well.

I think Brazil is able to take advantage of that.

I also think Brazil's defending is underrated b/c of the flash they have on attack.

Brazil takes it for me.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
That 3-4-3 Belgium is playing leaves acres of space open. Neither Meunier nor Carrasco defend well.

I think Brazil is able to take advantage of that.

I also think Brazil's defending is underrated b/c of the flash they have on attack.

Brazil takes it for me.
I think they will change the scheme, their coach isn't stupid enough to let Neymar and William feast on the sides.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Uruguay, Brazil, France or Belgium to the final. Who do you want ?
Not Uruguay :)

France and Brazil are clear favourites and as I said, France would be favoured IMO against Brazil.
But the way this WC has gone, we could have a Uruguay/Belgium semi.
If France loses their QF, I expect Brazil to win this side of the bracket.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I think they will change the scheme, their coach isn't stupid enough to let Neymar and William feast on the sides.

I too think they'll change the formation.

Even Japan was easily able to bypass the wide players (Meunier, Carrasco) by isolating them into 2 against 1 situations. 3- man defensive line won't work against Brazil and isn't even needed. Although the problem is finding a suitable player to cover for all over the midfield as the Kantes don't grow on trees.

Maybe Dembele or even Dendoncker could do a good enough job.

Also assuming Brazil start with Paulinho & Fernandinho in the center, the best change for Hazard and de Bruyne to create and find space might be on the flanks, so I'd look into that opportunity.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
giphy.gif

let's keep rolling

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
Brazil will take this,but I wouldn't be surprised if Belgium finally show their potential against someone tough.

However,Belgium defence is critical. They need to play with 4 defenders.
Also,Witsel out - Dembele in and pleasse Martinez put anyone else instead of godawful Carrasco.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
It seems Brazil could have made it here with an empty net, I don't think that Alisson guy has had to make a save in this tournament.

With that being said, Brazil remains Brazil, which means they're vulnerable from set-pieces and Belgium could hurt them on that.

From a Belgium standpoint, it' s quite frankly appalling that three out of their four leaders in attack didn't show up for the first game of the knockout stages (Lukaku appeared at times to miss sitters). So after Panama, Tunisia and Japan, what can be expected from Mertens, De Bruyne and Lukaku against Brazil? ( I expect Hazard to bring the goods)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's incredible that Brazil is about to play a 1/4 final of a WC with a #9 who has not scored once in the tournament. Is he getting shredded by the media over there?

It's not like he's been robbed by keepers either. He's taken 7 shots in 4 games. 2 on target, 3 blocked by defenders and 2 off target.

Brazil as a whole has 73 shots attempted.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They look so much more direct and cohesive with Bobby in there, sample size small as it may be. Firmino’s understanding with Coutinho also shouldn’t be understated in this regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad