Tanner Jeannot trade

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This trade was absolute debacle for TB

Jeannot is terrible and isn't even a good 4th liner at this point

Giving away a 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th for him has to be one of the worst and most lopsided trades in recent NHL history

What the hell was TB GM thinking with this trade?

Despite Hagel being great for them giving up those 1st's + this trade really set up TB to have very little in cupboards going forward just as there window appears to be closing or maybe even already has closed

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Playoff healthy scratch too.

I could understand making this trade during his “breakout” season but last season? I’m genuinely curious as to how the negotiations went. Nashville must’ve sold them on something crazy for Tampa to spit out those picks. He had 5 goals in 56 games….
TB on the wrong end of a trade will happen. Not every deal will end up winning like Cernak for bishop or Drouin for serg.

Thought they were getting another Coleman. But didn’t pan out.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Without tracking it all down, what has Nashville converted all the assests into? Seems like Nashville fleeced Tampa here.

Sometimes you can't worry about arms races, just stick to what makes your team great. Avoid panic responses. Lesson to be learned here.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This trade was absolute debacle for TB

Jeannot is terrible and isn't even a good 4th liner at this point

Giving away a 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 4th + 5th for him has to be one of the worst and most lopsided trades in recent NHL history

What the hell was TB GM thinking with this trade?

Despite Hagel being great for them giving up those 1st's + this trade really set up TB to have very little in cupboards going forward just as there window appears to be closing or maybe even already has closed

A 2nd and a 3rd was too much for him.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
It was during a year where his stats were trash too. They fell away from skill with both this and the Paul trade and they're feeling the effects of both of those trades now

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
3, 4, 5 were in 2023

Dylan MacKinnon in round 3
TB required the 4th for Chicagos 4th in 2024
Nash used the 5th to help trade up in round 2 from 47 to 43 to draft Felix Nilsson.

2nd is this upcoming draft as well as that flipped 4th. and first in 2025.

Thus so far, just MacKinnon. And used as a trade up chip to secure Nilsson.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Yeah there's no denying it's one of the worst trades, but I think there's plenty of factors why it happened:

1) Jeannot had some very promising play for the Preds the season before and showed potential for a middle 6 power forward.
2) Big guys who can play in the top 9 are always in high-demand and Jeannot having that good season before fooled Tampa into thinking he could. This is not so different to Montreal overpaying for Josh Anderson despite the previous season being a complete write-off. And yes, there was a ton of interest which drove the price up. If it wasn't Tampa making this mistake, it was going to be someone else.
3) Tampa knew they would lose Killorn a year later. He was like the only guy with size in their top 9, so I think Tampa was hoping that Jeannot could fill those shoes and fit their cap structure in the future.
4) Coleman and Goodrow worked out a couple years earlier, and they gave up 1st rounders then too. Probably lowered the bar to take another risk.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
To be honest from what we were hearing in Nashville, we were hearing maybe at first, but I think David Poole, who is the GM put the price at two 1sts

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
You must be thinking of the wrong other trade. He's a solid player and they gave up nothing for him (Mathieu Joseph who's JAG and a 4th round pick).
I wasn't talking about what they gave up more the type of players they have been targeting. He's a much slower player than what that team had for their two cups and what saw them have their most success. They are way too slow of team these last two seasons and I don't see that improving next year.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Without tracking it all down, what has Nashville converted all the assests into? Seems like Nashville fleeced Tampa here.

Sometimes you can't worry about arms races, just stick to what makes your team great. Avoid panic responses. Lesson to be learned here.
Nashville still has TB 2nd this year and 1st next year. They drafted Dylan MacKinnon with the 3rd Traded the 4th back to Tampa for a 4th this year. Traded the 5th to Detroit to move up in the 2nd to take Felix Nilsson.
Predators still have 3 picks remaining to use.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Trading for Jeannot alone never made much sense but hey, punting a couple dart board picks (aka 4-7ths) wouldn't be a big deal. How in the world Brisebois thought giving up a 1st alone was a good idea is baffling. How he added basically every draft pick they had is stupefying.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The optics of trading basically an entire draft are worse than the aggregate value of the picks moved. Using an estimate of #19 (another WC appearance and early exit is realistic) for the 1st and #51 for the 2nd (2024 placement with no Cinderellas), PuckPedia’s calculator suggests that it only gets you up to #14.

That’s an overpay for Jeannot, but not significant enough to justify the constant focus on it.

It was a miss. Tampa is on the decline with or without this trade, though. It’s just hockey gravity.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
A bad trade sure, but one of the worst in NHL history? No. People grossly overrate the value of draft picks. Statistically, all those draft picks are unlikely to yield more than one NHLer, and not necessarily a great one either.

That said, what compounded the mistake was signing him to a bad contract afterwards. JBB gambled that he would essentially replace Killorn in the top 6 and would see his value inflate, so he signed him early. Took a wild swing and whiffed completely.

Aside from that though, JBB's trade history is pretty decent. Hagel was a fantastic acquisition (that he wisely extended early), the Paul trade was good as well. Then of course there were Goodrow and Coleman. So, win some lose some I guess.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
A bad trade sure, but one of the worst in NHL history? No. People grossly overrate the value of draft picks. Statistically, all those draft picks are unlikely to yield more than one NHLer, and not necessarily a great one either.

That said, what compounded the mistake was signing him to a bad contract afterwards. JBB gambled that he would essentially replace Killorn in the top 6 and would see his value inflate, so he signed him early. Took a wild swing and whiffed completely.

Aside from that though, JBB's trade history is pretty decent. Hagel was a fantastic acquisition (that he wisely extended early), the Paul trade was good as well. Then of course there were Goodrow and Coleman. So, win some lose some I guess.
I agree it's not one of the worst in NHL history of course. And yes, draft picks are overvalued in general. But here's the point I'd make. Jeannot since his rookie year has been basically a replacement level player. That's not something that's hard to find, nor should it be something to give up assets for. You can find a player that can do everything Jeannot can (other than his fighting ability which has nebulous value) in any UFA class for around league minimum. So from a value perspective, a first round pick that's likely to give you NHL games plus 4 dart throws is a great deal. Sure, they may turn into nothing. But you didn't really have anything to begin with that you can't just find in a given FA market, in fact there's a good chance you already have it in your system. The possible upside of draft picks is well worth it.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
I agree it's not one of the worst in NHL history of course. And yes, draft picks are overvalued in general. But here's the point I'd make. Jeannot since his rookie year has been basically a replacement level player. That's not something that's hard to find, nor should it be something to give up assets for. You can find a player that can do everything Jeannot can (other than his fighting ability which has nebulous value) in any UFA class for around league minimum. So from a value perspective, a first round pick that's likely to give you NHL games plus 4 dart throws is a great deal. Sure, they may turn into nothing. But you didn't really have anything to begin with that you can't just find in a given FA market, in fact there's a good chance you already have it in your system. The possible upside of draft picks is well worth it.

I mean, sure, but obviously JBB thought he saw something more in him than a replacement-level player, else he wouldn't have traded those picks.

Nobody's denying that it's a bad trade. Just saying that's it's nowhere near consequential enough to be one of the worse trades in history. It doesn't even reach "Erat for Forsberg" badness, let alone, say, "Dionne for Dan Maloney and Terry Harper" badness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad