Proposal: PTOs for the Oilers .... NOT BARRIE !!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oil10

Jun 15, 2012
PTO Options for the OILERS !!!!

• Tyler Johnson (C) shoots R - he is still a very good NHL player and would help the bottom 6 a lot. He had 31 & 32 points the last two years ...... On the Blackhawks !!
  • James van Riemsdyk (LW) - another solid player that would battle for a bottom 6 role. He put up over 30 point his whole career. He could even go up in the lineup if needed.

• Justin Schultz (RD) or Kevin Shattenkirk (RD) - both are solid RD that would battle the current RD for a job (Stecher & J. Brown). Schultz put up 26 and 34 point the last 2 years and Shattenkirk put up 24 and 27.

If the Oilers could bring in either Johnson and Van Riemsdyk, they would make the bottom 6 of the Oilers so much better. They would have to sign for $800K.

Now regarding Schultz or Shattenkirk, either one would be a great fit over Stecher or J. Brown. But they would also have to sign for $800K.

To make this work (lets say they bring in Schultz and Van Riemsdyk) the Oilers can send down Stecher and have J. Brown and Perry as extras. The Oilers would then be sitting at a cap space of $133K.

(even with Kane just on IR)

But PLEASE .... NOT BARRIE !!!!!

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Would be interesting to see Shattenkirk there after the rumors of him turning down a trade there when he was with the Blues. It could also be all fiction on that front but would wonder if there would be interest in him.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I don't get the hate-on for Barrie... yes, he's easy to meme for his below-average D, but he and Nurse had not terrible results analytically in the time they played together. That's all the Oilers really need until the deadline when they can hopefully find a solution for the next 1-2 years ala Ekholm.

Agree though that the Oil need to further strike while the iron of the SCF is still hot and grab two more vets on PTOs. The third line is still up in the air since Savoie and Lavoie are not proven NHLers yet and Podkolzin, while he can play both wings, is not a lock to be a top nine guy either.

Ideally Edmonton would invite two of Hoffman/JVR/Patches/Kubalik/Okposo/Wheeler to camp and let them fight it out with the kids for jobs. I'd also love to see a vet 4C like Carpenter or Cousins push Derek Ryan and James Hamblin for a spot in the starting 12:

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Podkolzin/PTO-Henrique-Podkolzin/PTO
Janmark-PTO/Ryan/Hamblin-Brown
Ryan/Hamblin, Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Barrie
Kulak-Emberson
Stecher

The worse of Ryan/Hamblin gets sent down if the PTO wins out.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
But seriously it's definitely the dog days of the offseason when you start speculating on PTOs for your team on the main boards.

Nah we are well on our way. ~3 weeks until teams are hosting their prospect tournaments and athletes are returning. Under a month until the first pre-season games.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Nah we are well on our way. ~3 weeks until teams are hosting their prospect tournaments and athletes are returning. Under a month until the first pre-season games.
Can't wait for pre season. I love how impressed people get when good AHL players play good against AHL players.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Can't wait for pre season. I love how impressed people get when good AHL players play good against AHL players.

Lots to love about that time of year. Sure those games can make it feel like it drags on but you get to see prospects in games with NHLers and there are always guys who break out and make things interesting. PTO guys as well.

Much better than no hockey

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
There's been talks of the Oilers trying to use pp2 more this year, Barrie would fit I guess. I really don't think they need any forwards on a PTO though

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I don't get the hate-on for Barrie... yes, he's easy to meme for his below-average D, but he and Nurse had not terrible results analytically in the time they played together. That's all the Oilers really need until the deadline when they can hopefully find a solution for the next 1-2 years ala Ekholm.

Agree though that the Oil need to further strike while the iron of the SCF is still hot and grab two more vets on PTOs. The third line is still up in the air since Savoie and Lavoie are not proven NHLers yet and Podkolzin, while he can play both wings, is not a lock to be a top nine guy either.

Ideally Edmonton would invite two of Hoffman/JVR/Patches/Kubalik/Okposo/Wheeler to camp and let them fight it out with the kids for jobs. I'd also love to see a vet 4C like Carpenter or Cousins push Derek Ryan and James Hamblin for a spot in the starting 12:

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Podkolzin/PTO-Henrique-Podkolzin/PTO
Janmark-PTO/Ryan/Hamblin-Brown
Ryan/Hamblin, Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Barrie
Kulak-Emberson
Stecher

The worse of Ryan/Hamblin gets sent down if the PTO wins out.
He was still a good bottom paring guy at the end of his stint with the Oilers, but Nashville tossing him in the bin must say something about his current abilities. I didn't follow his play there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How Schultz these days? Has he really fallen that far where he's just a PTO option at this point.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Would be interesting to see Shattenkirk there after the rumors of him turning down a trade there when he was with the Blues. It could also be all fiction on that front but would wonder if there would be interest in him.

That's 5 teams and at least 8 years ago for a 35 year old unsigned in late August.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Oil10 said:
Tyler Johnson (C) shoots R - he is still a very good NHL player and would help the bottom 6 a lot. He had 31 & 32 points the last two years ...... On the Blackhawks !!

I wish I could find the original quote, but I remember former Kings GM Dean Lombardi saying something to the effect of beware of certain players who put up points on bad teams. In Johnson's case, he got a decent amount of PP1 time last year. Johnson had 15 even strength points and 16 PP points, so his 31 points might seem better than it is. Even bad teams will convert on the PP at a 15+% clip, so some guys can pad their point totals. On a better team Johnson wouldn't be getting PP1 time.

I suppose there wouldn't be any harm in bringing him on a PTO, but I don't think he'd profile to be a better bottom six RW than Brown/Perry.

JvR's probably in a similar boat at this point. Boston gave him a decent amount of PP time during the season, but they didn't trust him with ice time as they got into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad