Proposal: PTOs for the Oilers .... NOT BARRIE !!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think that with an appropriate cap hit and understanding of the role he’s being signed for TyJo is actually a really solid bottom six acquisition for most teams. Has some skill, can still skate, and unlike a Sprong type he actually has a complete game. He’ll never be the guy he was once and sometimes people have a hard time with top six talent transitioning into grinder roles, but in his case I feel like he actually provides a lot of value.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I think that with an appropriate cap hit and understanding of the role he’s being signed for TyJo is actually a really solid bottom six acquisition for most teams. Has some skill, can still skate, and unlike a Sprong type he actually has a complete game. He’ll never be the guy he was once and sometimes people have a hard time with top six talent transitioning into grinder roles, but in his case I feel like he actually provides a lot of value.

Even at his current level of play I think you could do MUCH worse for a 4C on a contender. He's a proven winner, high compete, some leadership traits on top of the bit of skill he has left. For the Oilers I'd love to see a Podkolzin-TJ-Perry fourth line in the playoffs driving the opposition wild.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
There's been talks of the Oilers trying to use pp2 more this year, Barrie would fit I guess. I really don't think they need any forwards on a PTO though

Nurse played his best hockey with Barrie too, I wouldn’t hate that signing

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Barrie makes zero sense. Bouchard is better at the things at where Barrie had value and Barrie fell off pretty drastically in Nashville.

Would prefer Shattenkirk even if he's 35 and not the same player as in his prime. He's a proven postseason warrior and hopefully the Oilers solve things at the back and he ends up a 6/7 option, but would be good to have a player like him in the postseason if they don't or need him to fill in due to injury.

Pretty obvious the goal for Oilers should be winning in the postseason than scoring in the regular season. Not sure some of our fans have gotten the memo...

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
33 year old fossil Barrie might actually lower the average age of the Oilers opening day roster!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'd bet money that Tony DeAngelo will be patrolling the right side of the 2nd D pairings this upcoming season. He'll fit like a glove and Oilers fans will be ecstatic.

Reactions: Double Dion

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Barrie makes zero sense. Bouchard is better at the things at where Barrie had value and Barrie fell off pretty drastically in Nashville.

Would prefer Shattenkirk even if he's 35 and not the same player as in his prime. He's a proven postseason warrior and hopefully the Oilers solve things at the back and he ends up a 6/7 option, but would be good to have a player like him in the postseason if they don't or need him to fill in due to injury.

Pretty obvious the goal for Oilers should be winning in the postseason than scoring in the regular season. Not sure some of our fans have gotten the memo...
Nashville is a prime example of what happens to a team with Tyson Barrie when they already have a powerplay QB. He won't have a role in Edmonton. The only things he does well, Bouchard does for us.

Reactions: Czechboy

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Should probably give Tyson Barrie a look.

But seriously it's definitely the dog days of the offseason when you start speculating on PTOs for your team on the main boards.
I hate defending Oiler fans, but for the Oilers it makes sense, they're likely to invite someone on a PTO w/ a verbal agreement to sign them the day after rosters are due, so they can put Kane on LTIR before signing them. IIRC the Blues did this with someone a year or two ago when they were tight to the cap.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The sad thing is the PTO they need would fill the gaping hole on the right side of the 2nd D pairing and you're hoping he can play better than Nurse on the left side. Good luck with that.
The only way that hole is going to get filled is via trade and Edmonton will end up paying dearly. A capable PTO 2nd pairing d man is a pipe dream.

Reactions: Czechboy

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
DeAngelo from a pure hockey perspective makes a lot sense for a PTO.

The Oilers are going to have to make a move for a top 4 RHD around the trade deadline either way.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
PTO Options for the OILERS !!!!

• Tyler Johnson (C) shoots R - he is still a very good NHL player and would help the bottom 6 a lot. He had 31 & 32 points the last two years ...... On the Blackhawks !!
  • James van Riemsdyk (LW) - another solid player that would battle for a bottom 6 role. He put up over 30 point his whole career. He could even go up in the lineup if needed.

• Justin Schultz (RD) or Kevin Shattenkirk (RD) - both are solid RD that would battle the current RD for a job (Stecher & J. Brown). Schultz put up 26 and 34 point the last 2 years and Shattenkirk put up 24 and 27.

If the Oilers could bring in either Johnson and Van Riemsdyk, they would make the bottom 6 of the Oilers so much better. They would have to sign for $800K.

Now regarding Schultz or Shattenkirk, either one would be a great fit over Stecher or J. Brown. But they would also have to sign for $800K.

To make this work (lets say they bring in Schultz and Van Riemsdyk) the Oilers can send down Stecher and have J. Brown and Perry as extras. The Oilers would then be sitting at a cap space of $133K.

(even with Kane just on IR)

But PLEASE .... NOT BARRIE !!!!!

Ah, anti-jinx to ensure they go with Barrie, smart move!

They should just double down on character concerns and go Dept of Corrections and get Paul Bernardo, Dennis Rader, and Scott Peterson.

Ya man, what’s Galchenyuk up to these days?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Shattenkirk has always been underrated defensively as well. When he was with the Blues he had better defensive metrics than the likes of Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Josi, and Weber.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The sad thing is the PTO they need would fill the gaping hole on the right side of the 2nd D pairing and you're hoping he can play better than Nurse on the left side. Good luck with that.
The only way that hole is going to get filled is via trade and Edmonton will end up paying dearly. A capable PTO 2nd pairing d man is a pipe dream.

Nurse literally had the best season of his career with Barrie lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I think the point right now would be to just get a stop gap just in case. The Oilers will acquire someone else at the deadline.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
With the Oilers budget being what it is and with them needing to sign Drai, I can see them taking on a massive amount of PTOs to see what works and what doesn't. Hurts nothing.

What they need to find is a playoff netminder. Skinner's not going to cut it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
He was still a good bottom paring guy at the end of his stint with the Oilers, but Nashville tossing him in the bin must say something about his current abilities. I didn't follow his play there.
I think the general consensus for the first 10-15 games or so after the Preds picked him up in the Ekholm trade was that he was surprisingly good... he had managed to put together a month without his defensive warts showing. And he's still a talented offensive player, hasn't lost a step nor shows any signs of physical deterioration, was lauded as a good character/intangibles guy in the room. Then gradually some of the defensive lapses started to show and we said, oh, that's what they were talking about.

But still it's not like he was Any Elmore or some kind of meme-level bad on defense? He was not good at the start of last season defensively either, and the Preds PP structure didn't really have room for him , which might have been a coaching mistake, since if there's one place he might have helped, PP1 was probably it - but they wanted a 4F+Josi system. So if you take that out of Barrie's game, then you aren't left with much.

I think the real kiss of death for him with the Preds was requesting a trade, however. Which he did fairly early on after getting healthy scratched. It might have been the end of November or early December. I don't think Trotz takes very kindly to that, and there were certainly no takers, so that pretty much tanked Barrie's position on the depth chart completely.

Any team needing a RD and PP1 type of defender, who can shelter him 5on5, should definitely be willing to try him out. I don't think he was quite as bad as his ending on the Preds might have suggested. He just didn't have the role or management/coaching support to fit his talents in Nashville. I don't think that kind of role is something every team wants or needs to fill, however, you'd prefer to have his skills as part of the better package in a real top-pairing defenseman rather than have to use a bottom pair guy like Barrie to provide it, and many teams do have that better top guy. But these days there are teams intentionally tanking. If you don't really care about winning hockey games, and want a guy who might pump up his stats at a cheap salary and potentially become more tradeable, or help pump up the PP production of your other young players, I think he still has those skills, and doesn't come with any of the off-ice/lockerroom baggage that maybe certain others on the market with similar traits might? :dunno:

Reactions: Chet Manley

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Shattenkirk has always been underrated defensively as well. When he was with the Blues he had better defensive metrics than the likes of Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Josi, and Weber.

Just goes to show that we should take advanced stats with a grain of salt. I never thought Shattenkirk was good defensively with the Blues or even average for that matter. More likely he was heavily sheltered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad