Post-Game Talk: PS1 - Hartford 3 Providence 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Little too early to make judgements on final roster combos. Who knows, could be Georgie or Coyle.
It is but I don’t know , it’s easy to dismiss the first preseason game as meaningless but wasn’t it important for someone like Lysell to impress and he didn’t . I only watched bits and pieces of the game so I’m just going by what people are saying here but if someone like Johnson plays well in his first game doesn’t that at least temporarily give him the edge ?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Best player on the ice Chytil, unfortunately he plays for the other team. B's I liked - Lohrei, Kuntar, Kastelic...B's I didn't like - Lysell, Brown, Tufte (former first round pick, huge frame, seems lost). There were others with moments but nothing that stood out to me one way or the other. Did love Wotherspoon beating the crap out of that cheap hit guy on the Rangers.

Agree on Chytil. He was clearly thinking the game on a higher level than everyone else on the ice.

I thought Brown was very good. Brick hands and brick head, but he works his butt off.... and that generated a bunch of chances IMO. That said, we know this isn't an NHL player. I assume he'll be kept around until final cuts.

Only my first time watching Tufte in black and gold, but my initial impression is that he's another player with unfunctional size. I'm even tempted to put Beecher in that same category. Like, I'm not sure a whole lot changes for them if they stood at 6'0 190lbs.... aside from draft position. Not even speaking about physicality. Just they way they use/don't use there size. Compare that to the likes of Lohrei or Brazeau for example. It's like night and day.

Was nice to see Kastelic getting his nose dirty at every opportunity.

Yeah, that was a pretty lame performance for Lysell. Highlight for him was probably the back check with the net empty. I think both he and Merkulov need as many looks as possible this pre-season.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
One preseason don't mean anything but if that is the best Lysell has to offer he isn't even close to making the final roster. Merkulov was slightly better but he isn't making it either.

Lohrei looks even better than last year and I loved how Wotherspoon took care of the guy that hit him. The D is set. (Wotherspoon is 7 if all healthy)

Really wish Kuntar was a little more talented because he's a sparkplug but I just don't think he has enough talent to be part of the equation. Will be good in Providence though.

Tufte had a few moments. There aren't enough spots in the bottom 6 so idk what happens with him but he's not useless.

Goalies were average, not bad not good.

Kastelic, as I said when we got him, will be a fan favorite all year.

Feel for Patrick Brown. He's trying hard, but we all know he's waiver bound.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
16 pages on our first pre-season game? Holy shit. Ya’ll know that 90% of these guys have no chance of making the final roster, right?

This is like Game 3 of NFL pre-season.

• Haha
Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
16 pages on our first pre-season game? Holy shit. Ya’ll know that 90% of these guys have no chance of making the final roster, right?

This is like Game 3 of NFL pre-season.
1727084957931.gif

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
After being disappointed in Lysells performance last night I slept on it and gave it some more thought. He needs more looks and was trying to do too much by himself. Needs at least a game alongside NHLers. He could be like Marc McLaughlin: Plays much better with higher-quality linemates.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Just in.

I really liked #45 KOEPKE.

Parker Wotherspoon worked hard tonight.

#10 is a big kid Tuftle (6'6")

I am ready to see the real team now.

It was fun to see a couple of the guys who work for the Bs and get caught up on what they were doing. The two seats (on the glass) in front of us were empty until the start of the third when the guy who has had the seats for many years showed up. We hadn't seen him for a few years. Good guy!
I listened to the game and I heard Koepke s name a bunch of times ‘in a good way’. Good to hear a close up fan share something positive about his game. Good call Lady!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Just got home ~ fun to go. Lot of mucking and second period played very well

I’ve watched Lysell twice in last 28 hours live

Very impressed with his size- looks filled out. Skating exceptional- speed high end. Game was grinding and didn’t go well but like his decisions.

Lohrei & Peeke were very good

Lohrei could be a star

Peeke a nice pick up liked him coming out thought Bruins could grab him later in draft but went early second

Kuntar adds some offense to his game he could slip into an eventual third round role

Farinacci very quick, Duran strong on wall and good skater

Kastelic going to be a good honest hard nosed - liked his dad seems to have that toughness

Koepke was maybe best forward- had a very good year for Syracuse and got some time with Tampa

I liked this add by Sweens this summer
Thanks all to sharing opinions. What line could a Koepke play?

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Kastelic will take some penalties sure but he won't take any crap. Matter fact he will probably start some and doubt he stands around when teammates are taken liberty of. Kuntar reminded me of the Kamikaze Kid, where can we find a Jofa helmet these days? Sweezey was pretty solid but my son was more impressed with the crowd shot of his Dad giving the Stump pump on the replay when he fought Lauko. He could be a sleeper Stevie Kampfer depth guy.

1727093191738.png

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks all to sharing opinions. What line could a Koepke play?
He’s probably a top 6 in Providence and call up if injuries

Young but a professional who’s been in a few games and was raised in the Tampa organization

It’s a nice add to the organization

He won’t look out of place in the NHL certainly as a call up

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Kastelic will take some penalties sure but he won't take any crap. Matter fact he will probably start some and doubt he stands around when teammates are taken liberty of. Kuntar reminded me of the Kamikaze Kid, where can we find a Jofa helmet these days? Sweezey was pretty solid but my son was more impressed with the crowd shot of his Dad giving the Stump pump on the replay when he fought Lauko. He could be a sleeper Stevie Kampfer depth guy.

View attachment 908885
lol ~ I was at game watching and thought of Nevin Markwart to the point my friend mentioned he’s an abrasive guy and doesn’t look 6 feet when comparing but we landed there in second period convo

So yes agree - Markwart was more reckless and probably faster and certainly ready to fight - but that was the era.

I got both Kuntar & Duran in our SIM league so I’m extra interested in these two

Duran looks like he could push now for 4th line - he is very noticeable

Kuntar hasn’t shown the scoring yet and don’t see a spot on third line

Ideally he scores at AHL ~ Freddy could be gone after this season

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
After being disappointed in Lysells performance last night I slept on it and gave it some more thought. He needs more looks and was trying to do too much by himself. Needs at least a game alongside NHLers. He could be like Marc McLaughlin: Plays much better with higher-quality linemates.
He looks solid ~ he doesn’t look tiny anymore
He can skate like few
Lot to like
Saw him both days and I’m very hopeful

Dustin Pedroia hit 150 for April his rookie season
Gotta give him a legit shot
Monty unfortunately already probably has Tyler Johnson pencilled in

Lysell
He’s got size, speed, excellent stick

I’m rooting for him

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He looks solid ~ he doesn’t look tiny anymore
He can skate like few
Lot to like
Saw him both days and I’m very hopeful

Dustin Pedroia hit 150 for April his rookie season
Gotta give him a legit shot
Monty unfortunately already probably has Tyler Johnson pencilled in

Lysell
He’s got size, speed, excellent stick

I’m rooting for him
Good to hear. Some folk haven’t had much positive s to say. Perhaps he’s playing a game that will mirror what Marchand and Coyle are looking for. Attentive to D. His skill will shine when he gets comfortable playing that role.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Yeah Jaffe and Razor were talking about how much pressure he put on himself last camp and how it hurt his play. I suspect the tire pumping from the org is to try to help him grip the stick less tightly and overreacting to his admittedly invisible play yesterday rather than looking at his body of work in Providence last year probably isn’t wise. Give him a little time to get in rhythm.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Yeah Jaffe and Razor were talking about how much pressure he put on himself last camp and how it hurt his play. I suspect the tire pumping from the org is to try to help him grip the stick less tightly and overreacting to his admittedly invisible play yesterday rather than looking at his body of work in Providence last year probably isn’t wise. Give him a little time to get in rhythm.
He's had two years and looks worse now than in the previous two seasons. I have yet to see anything from Lysell in his preseason games in three years. He has another no show game like last night he should be among the first cuts to Providence. Give him his chance, put him with Coyle and Zacha tomorrow night.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
He's had 2 concussions and a nasty shoulder injury. The shoulder was last year, then he came back and got completely cheap shotted and got another concussion. He's gotta work his way back. The talent is there.

He might be dealing with what I call "post concussion fog"- technically he's healthy & cleared to play but he's still "off" inside. Brandon Carlo was like that a long time after he was cleared to play now look at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad