Providing context on the different situation between McDavid and Giguère winning the Conn Smythe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
If you give it to the losing team on the road hand it out later on cause the home fans don't wanna see the visitor get it anyway. If the winner is on the home team but loses the cup like if Florida had won the cup in Edmonton then hand it out. "Problem" solved.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Probably an unpopular opinion here but I think he should’ve just gone out and got it.

Kids wanna be like their heroes and there’s already enough poor sportsmanship out there. Not as bad as leaving before shaking hands (LeBron) or throwing a silver medal in the stands (numerous WJC) but still a poor example to set.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Probably an unpopular opinion here but I think he should’ve just gone out and got it.

Kids wanna be like their heroes and there’s already enough poor sportsmanship out there. Not as bad as leaving before shaking hands (LeBron) or throwing a silver medal in the stands (numerous WJC) but still a poor example to set.

Exactly it's called showing some class. If this was on Edmonton ice and they lost, McDavid 100% comes out for his fans.

Reactions: Szechwan

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
No excuses need to be made for McDavid.
He just lost game 7 by one goal and had no points in two games.
He's under no obligation to skate out there in the middle of the Panthers' celebration to accept a personal accolade and get a pat on the back from Bettman.
I'd think that he would be under obligation but I guess not? guys have to do media all the time, I was pretty surprised he didnt come out to accept it

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't have an issue with it, especially when it's Florida celebrating at home. I probably wouldn't go out either. Now if was in Edmonton, maybe he would have went out, picked it up, and waived.

I don't have an issue with this though. This is just like Wings fans when they made a huge stink about Sid in 09 and the handshake line.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I unhappily watched an unhappy Giguere get handed the Conn Smythe while a bunch of temporarily unhappy fans booed him. It didn’t go well.

I assumed Bettman and the NHL learned their lesson in 2003.

It was dumb when they did it to Giguere and it would have been way way way dumber to do it again with McDavid.

McDavid definitely made the right choice if they were dumb enough to try to make this happen again and he refused. Then he basically saved the NHL from itself.

“Good sportsmanship” is the handshake line, it isn’t extra random pained awkwardness for a photo op.

They have an NHL Award show that’s perfect for things like giving a player an individual award and McDavid was always planning to be there anyway.

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
exactly why I don't think much of his playoffs played twice as many games as 99

He played six more games than Gretzky, so it’s 0.3x as many games, not 2x.

Worth noting that GPG was 7.86 in the 1988 playoffs, compared to 6.20 in 2024. Scoring is 26.8% lower today.

2024 Oilers scored the most goals in the playoffs with 86 in 25 games. Florida was second with 73 in 24 games. One other team topped 50.

1988 Oilers scored the most goals in the playoffs with 87 in 19 games. Boston was second with 85 in 23 games. The two Conference finalist losers almost hit 70.

Subtracting the goals that each player scored, McDavid assisted on 43.6% of his team’s goals. Gretzky assisted on 41.3% of his team’s goals.

All things considered, in a vacuum, McDavid was slightly more impressive. However, it was his 5th SCF in 6 seasons, so deep run after deep run should also be accounted for, but as isolated postseason runs, 2024 McDavid was slightly more impressive than 1988 Gretzky.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMG_3208.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Beau Knows

kickback256

May 1, 2024
Utah
Who the f*** cares?

The outrage culture is out of control. No matter what McDavid does someone will have their sensitive soul hurt.
For a sport with players and fans that are proud of "f*** your feelings," people sure cling to a lot of overly sensitive feelings over things that really just don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad