Do you think the building of the core is done?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do we have our core for the future?

• Yes

Votes: 62 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 108 63.5%

• Total voters

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I would say no and the reason for it is we still don't know what we have and we still don't know how they'll perform as group under pressure.

Toronto have thought since 2016 that their core was done, but they made a big mistake not tinkering with it and now they're pretty much set to stay pretenders for the foreseeable future.

That said, it can always be better. Im sure management wouldn't mind another high end RHD, a lottery winning pick giving us a high end C, a Danault for the third line or Tkachuk/JT Miller type player. But these are luxuries we can only hope and maybe they won't be needed according to how everyone develops. I would say the one thing I'd want more than any piece is a high end goaltender.

It's definitely looking a lot better than it did after the cluster f*** start of 2021.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think we need another top 6 center prospect more
I'm comfortable with the talent level of Dach and Zuki......the elephant in the room here is Dach's health......I don't think he's made of glass, seemed more like bad luck injuries but we'll see.

Another blue chip RHD prospect and another blue chip forward either via trade, UFA or draft is what we are missing.......at that point I'd say the pieces for the rebuild would be in place and that part of putting together a SC winner would be complete.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Is Montreal a contender? No? Then its not done.

What Montreal has achieved is built a prospect pool with no real weaknesses (depth, blue chip talent at F, D and G and lots of guys with high upside). That doesn't mean they're finished adding to it or that they've finished building the core.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I would say no and the reason for it is we still don't know what we have and we still don't know how they'll perform as group under pressure.

Toronto have thought since 2016 that their core was done, but they made a big mistake not tinkering with it and now they're pretty much set to stay pretenders for the foreseeable future.

Toronto's problem is they never had a plan on D or goaltending. Opposite of Habs. Then they overpaid Tavares before any of their young stars which made them greedy. That cap strapped them. Then COVID hit and the cap never increased. That gave them no flexibility. Habs are in a completely different situation. In Pierre McGuire's 7 player profile, they never got 2 important pieces. The power forward star and the two way D on your top pairing. Habs have built a great team profile in my own format

No 1 C - Suzuki
No 2 C - Dach
Power F - Slaf
Star F - Demidov
Specialty F - Caufield
PMD - Hutson
Two Way D - Reinbacher
Shutdown D - Guhle
Goalie - Fowler

And then add in other the depth they have

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
New core is not done. Dvorak, Kovacevic, Pez, Armia, Savard and Evans are on their last year, Not sure what they garner on the trade market. Late picks are a possibility, but the team only has one retaining spot available this year. Gallagher, Anderson and Price will still be around for more years. Obviously, the Habs would need to send picks, buy them out, retain on them or get an equally horrible contract in return. No real issues with Price, they can thank those who instigated the LTIR rule. Matheson, is the intriguing piece. Do they still keep him around? His value is tremendously high right now.

Cauf Suz Slaf
Demidov Dach xxx
Newhook xxx RHP
Roy xxx xxx

Hage, Farrell, Kapanen, Tuch, Beck, Kidney, Davidson, Mesar, Heineman, F Xhekaj, Simoneau will need to be given chances to prove themselves.

Can Dach and Newhook stay healthy? Demidov will come to North America next year.

On D, they are quite set:

Guhle, Harris, Hutson, Struble, Xhekaj, Barron, Reinbacher, Engström and Mailloux. That's pretty solid, but many of them are still intriguing players with high potential. All speculation right now.

The team is heading in the right direction, but big name UFAs would need to complement this roster or they can continue being mediocre to get a top 5 pick for years to come.

Capwise the Habs are in a great position. Hughes has done great things.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Nope. If Dach stays injury prone he can’t be a trusted piece. We're still not sure how good all 4 of Guhle/Reinbacher/Hutson/Mailloux will be in the NHL so it's hard to tell if that will be enough to become a cup contender. We also need more size and physicality up front. Keep adding quality pieces.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I still think there could be a trade for another young core piece either this summer or next, but I'd say the core is essentially built.

If we can swing a trade for a young second line center then I'd say we're pretty much there. I do like Dach as a center but injuries seem to be a concern and Dach on the wing with a good 2C would make the top 6 that much better.

Slaf - Suzuki - Demidov
Dach - 2C - Caufield
Newhook - Beck - Roy

That would be spicy.

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
According to Bonsoir les sportifs logic, we still need 3 or 4 quebecois in the lineup to win.
on s'en caliss faut tu être arriéré pour encore pleurer que ya pas de québécois sur l'équipe, criss personne joue au hockey sérieusement dans la province ya meme pas de bon joueur :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Mentalité de mononcle , Bonsoir les sportif devait aller dehors un peux regarder comment les gens de tout les races habitent le quebec , pas just des blancs de souche qui viennent des région éloignée

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
ITT: People being absolute debbie downers and negative nancies for no reasons.

Demidov is a franchise altering talent to the same level of Kucherov, Panarin, Kaprizov, etc. Drop any of those guys in the team and we are instantly Bubble + without progression.

on s'en caliss faut tu être arriéré pour encore pleurer que ya pas de québécois sur l'équipe, criss personne joue au hockey sérieusement dans la province ya meme pas de bon joueur :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Mentalité de mononcle , Bonsoir les sportif devait aller dehors un peux regarder comment les gens de tout les races habitent le quebec , pas just des blancs de souche qui viennent des région éloignée
C'est gens là sont aussi québécois though.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Demidov is a franchise altering talent to the same level of Kucherov, Panarin, Kaprizov, etc. Drop any of those guys in the team and we are instantly Bubble + without progression.

C'est gens là sont aussi québécois though.
Ouais mais c'est pas de eux quils parlent lol tu pensent ils parlent de Matheson??

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax

Oh to be clear I voted no only because he won't be in the NHL next year and we'll likely add at least one more core or core-ish piece through another top 10 pick and/or trades, not because I don't think Demidov and our current talent is enough. I think we'd be good to go with the current core group as is since we'll have the ammo to trade for a 2C if Dach doesn't settle in there, but in simple terms I don't think the core is "done" because we probably will still add one more big name in 2025.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I agree but bro that was badly written french :DD

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
Heille ti gars t'étais pas né en 93, en 93 la moitié de l'équpe parlait frança! Si Matthiew Schneider avait pas fourré la femme de Casseau on n'aurait gagné une autre!!!
- my uncle

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think the team should plan everything with the goal of entering their window when Demidov steps on the ice in Montreal.

Doesn't mean they won't pick another promising player next summer, doesn't mean they won't add any new young players into the lineup in the next 5 years (like Hage will take ~3 years for sure), but right now they have one year to come up with a game plan, execute it, and make the playoffs and start contending in 25-26.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
we already have one hell of a future core!

Forwards...
Top 6
Ivan Demidov - L
Kirby Dach © - R
Juraj Slafkovsky - L
Top 6
Cole Caufield - R
Nick Suzuki © - R
Mid 6
Alex Newhook © - L
Owen Beck © - R
Oliver Kapanen © - R
Mid 6
Joshua Roy - L
Filip Mesar © - R
Michael Hage © - R
Bottom 6
R. Harvey-Pinard - L
Sean Farrell - L
Emil Heineman - L
Bottom 6
Luke Tuch - L
Florian Xhekaj © - L

trade/buyout: Dvorak, Gallagher. Armia, Anderson, Evans, Pezzetta

Defensemen...
Top 4
Lane Hutson - L
David Reinbacher - R
Top 4
Kaiden Guhle - L
Logan Mailloux - R
Bottom 4
Arber Xhekaj - L
Adam Engstrom - L
Bottom 4
Jayden Struble - L
Justin Barron - R
Bottom 4
Jordan Harris - L
Bogdan Konyushkov - R

trade/buyout: Savard, Matheson, Kovacevic

Goalies...
Samuel Montembeault
Jakub Dobes
Yevgeni Volokhin
Cayden Primeau
Jacob Fowler

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It's the best foundation for a cup contender I've seen on this team in decades.

Demidov is what tilts it for me based on how confident everyone seems to think he'll be a gamebreaker. Had we picked Lindstrom or Iginla, I would have felt we still needed to add some extra high end talent in next year's draft to really have a well rounded core.

As it stands, I think the remaining holes in the roster can all be plugged up on the go. Given the fact that a large part of our core is still very green or won't even be in the NHL for another year, I see next season as an opportunity to bulletproof our rebuild.

I'd look to trade a couple veterans for picks at the deadline, notably Matheson and/or Savard. We probably get to pick one last top 5/top 10 pick at the 2025 draft and then I think we have plenty enough assets at all positions to sustain a long lasting cup contender.

By 2026, the goal would be to push for the playoffs and bring in some veterans if needed to plug the last few holes in the lineup. Suzuki would only be 26 by then, the timing couldn't be any better than this. It could give us a 6-7 years window to win it all.

With the last "good" core we had, say in 2012 when Bergevin came along, I think the mistake was to not sell off enough veterans in order to build a sustainable, talented pipeline of assets at all positions. That's what we need to avoid this time around. There's no Price or Subban in this rebuild, but I think we're a lot more well rounded and there's no telling how high the upside is with Slaf and Demidov.

Good times ahead, Habs fans!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1