Providing context on the different situation between McDavid and Giguère winning the Conn Smythe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
On one said he just lost the most prized trophy in sports and didn’t give a f*** about the consolation prize he won

On the other side a lot of fans paid good money to see him play and he snubbed them by refusing to go out and accept the trophy.

It’s really a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation
Are you being serious here? He snubbed the fans? Did the fans vote for the award? Was a fan waiting to give it to him? Did a fan paying good money to see him play not get to see him play? Everyone can see him with it at the awards ceremony if it means so much to them to see McDavid standing beside a consolation prize.

People and their ridiculous sense of outrage these days.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Are you being serious here? He snubbed the fans? Did the fans vote for the award? Was a fan waiting to give it to him? Did a fan paying good money to see him play not get to see him play? Everyone can see him with it at the awards ceremony if it means so much to them to see McDavid standing beside a consolation prize.

People and their ridiculous sense of outrage these days.
Yeah, the fans present did NOT want to see him. They were already booing because he won the award in the first place.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, the fans present did NOT want to see him. They were already booing because he won the award in the first place.
The fans they kept panning to standing with phones out when they announced it would say otherwise. It wasn’t strictly Florida fans in the building.

Reactions: theMajor

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Didn’t Crosby miss the handshake line against the Wings he was too busy?

Stop giving the smythe to someone on the losing team. Even Messier/Subban mentioned they’d give it to someone in Florida if Florida won.
Obviously, if the Oilers win, give it to McDavid
He was the best and most valuable player in the playoffs by a landslide. That’s literally what the trophy is intended for.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Maybe the guy on the other team that they tried to take out with a flying elbow had something to do with that. Just a thought.
Couldn't be that they were down 3-0, came back in a HUGE way to tie it all up and then just choked.

McDavid didn't show up and the team fell behind, didn't show up in Game 7 and they lost so it stands to reason that he wouldn't show up to accept the award that he absolutely earned over a week ago but it's been just easier to have someone else do the work.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Not worth the fuss of speculating, we don’t know why he didn’t come out. It’s possible he pouted and refused but maybe more likely he was told last second.

My guess is he was in the room talking with his team getting them to keep their heads up and look forward to next season which is what a good captain should do. If he was told way late part way through, that’s the right move.

Who knows, who cares.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
The biggest nothing burger of all nothing burgers. But McDavid haters gonna hate.
It's not a nothing burger. If beating some obscure 'assist record' is worthwhile of a discussion then why isn't it interesting to talk about the first and only time someone didn't accept the Conn Smythe Trophy? Imagine if Brady or Mahomes didn't accept the Super Bowl MVP trophy? Do you think people would wonder what the F is wrong with them? You wouldn't, but most people would. If you think he's such a team first martyr he could go get it and give the generic speech how this belongs to all of his teammates who gave it their all.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
That's "literally" not how it's been awarded though through the years.
Love the quotation as if I used the word wrong or something 😂. You’re aware that there’s a literal description as to how the trophy is awarded that I was referring to, right? And yes, that’s how it’s been awarded, not sure what you’re on about there. It’s subject to a vote, so not everyone is going to agree with every winner, but this year it was as clear as it gets.

Reactions: cptjeff

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's not a nothing burger. If beating some obscure 'assist record' is worthwhile of a discussion then why isn't it interesting to talk about the first and only time someone didn't accept the Conn Smythe Trophy? Imagine if Brady or Mahomes didn't accept the Super Bowl MVP trophy? Do you think people would wonder what the F is wrong with them? You wouldn't, but most people would. If you think he's such a team first martyr he could go get it and give the generic speech how this belongs to all of his teammates who gave it their all.
I could absolutely see Brady not giving a flying f*** about a Super Bowl MVP trophy after losing the Super Bowl.

But the other sports don't have this problem because their "Conn Smythe" is for the Finals/Super Bowl/World Series only. The odds of somebody winning those awards in a losing effort are essentially non-existent.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
It's a difference of time, especially with social media.

If Giguere had known what the image would become, then I think he would have stayed away as well. Imagine if he didn't win in 2007 and that picture lives on as the "hallmark" moment of his career.

I think it's very smart of McDavid to avoid that landmine and to just focus on the future.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Love the quotation as if I used the word wrong or something 😂. You’re aware that there’s a literal description as to how the trophy is awarded that I was referring to, right? And yes, that’s how it’s been awarded, not sure what you’re on about there. It’s subject to a vote, so not everyone is going to agree with every winner, but this year it was as clear as it gets.
Wrong. The literal definition of 'the player most valuable to his team' tells us absolutely nothing about the criteria for awarding this trophy. Are you for example suggesting that the team that depends on one single player the most is the most deserving? McDavid runs the Oilers. So if Oilers were eliminated in the first round, we could still award the Conn Smythe to him if we'd be following the "literal" definition. That's not how it works. Essentially, instead of the literal definition, the criteria is "the most important player on the Stanley Cup winning team, unless there is an even more relatively important player on the Stanley Cup losing team and the final series went 6 or 7 games." That's the definition, despite it not being the literal one.

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Wrong. The literal definition of 'the player most valuable to his team' tells us absolutely nothing about the criteria for awarding this trophy. Are you for example suggesting that the team that depends on one single player the most is the most deserving? McDavid runs the Oilers. So if Oilers were eliminated in the first round, we could still award the Conn Smythe to him if we'd be following the "literal" definition. That's not how it works. Essentially, instead of the literal definition, the criteria is "the most important player on the Stanley Cup winning team, unless there is an even more relatively important player on the Stanley Cup losing team and the final series went 6 or 7 games." That's the definition, despite it not being the literal one.
Lol, you just reworded the criteria so that you could argue. It’s the same thing. And no, we have never, and will never see it awarded to a player that didn’t make the final because it would beg the obvious question: if his team couldn’t make the finals, just how valuable could his play have been? There would obviously be better candidates. I’m not sure what you’re even arguing at this point.

“WrOnG.” 🤣

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Let out the rage!!!

You can talk about it all you want. But acting offended, or like it actually means anything, or like McDavid slighted anyone because of it, is downright stupid and selfish.

Last edited:

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Lol, you just reworded the criteria so that you could argue. It’s the same thing. And no, we have never, and will never see it awarded to a player that didn’t make the final because it would beg the obvious question: if his team couldn’t make the finals, just how valuable could his play have been? There would obviously be better candidates. I’m not sure what you’re even arguing at this point.

“WrOnG.” 🤣
You won't get very far arguing that Conn Smythe is awarded by its literal definition. It's easy to fact check too, by actually reading the literal definition. You're completely wrong in assuming some player couldn't be the most valuable to his team without making the finals. If the final teams score and defend by committee but one player scored every goal for his team until being eliminated in the conference finals how on earth could you identify a player more important to his team on some other team? Right, we wouldn't care, because the trophy isn't awarded by its literal definition, which was my point all along. The actual definition is much more convoluted than that, and I've no idea why you're trying to argue this very well known fact. McDavid's win fits within the real criteria. He was the best player and his team came within two goals of winning the Cup.

By the way you spelled wrong incorrectly. There's no capitalization for every other letter. I thought you'd know that, being so literal.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Not coming out to accept the award is similar to skipping the handshake line. Though really the NHL should have told him before he left the ice. If they did, and he said eff that, then it looks even worse.

If your the face of league, you swallow your pride and go and accept the reward.

I'd like to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad