Providing context on the different situation between McDavid and Giguère winning the Conn Smythe

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
We just don’t know the behind the scenes or why it took so long for the NHL to get their shit together directly after Florida won. There was a lot more structure then, that’s for sure.
Voters can put condition to their votes (classic one, if X win the cup than my vote go to player A, otherwise player B) and the games was decided last seconds of play, too if McDavid won in a lost with 0 pts and Bobrovsky being solid we can assume that for many they were none in place.

The Ducks were loosing 3-0 with 3:45 left to play, so we can imagine everything was clearer for everyone sooner.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is garbage. He was a baby.
he is the face of the league. They expected him to show up. He could have taken the trophy and left.

Every time you lose. You just get to walk off and not take the award?

why are there podiums in the olympics? 2 and 3 should just leave.

Should team Canada skate off the ice if they lose and not watch the medals?

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
He needs surgery as he’s been playing with that injury all year. Makes his year more impressive and explains needing 100 assists to replenish lost goals production. Hopefully fully healthy to begin next year. 160-170 is doable if so. Fans of the game want to see it since it was semi stolen this year.

So it’s as we said all year. Anyone who watches the Oilers knew the guy was playing through that early season injury, while everyone else said it was excuse making.

Man, what a player. Storms all the way back to take the scoring leader with his 125th point, scores 132 in 76, leads his team to within one win of the Cup, and wins the Conn Smythe after putting up the most assists and 4th most points ever, all while playing with an injury he’ll need surgery for.

I agree. I think if he comes back good to go, 160 is in play. Might see the assist numbers come down a little and get those goals back up to 65 or even 70.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Maybe they shouldn't ever give it to a losing team's player?

McD flushed down the toilet the value of Conn Smythe award.

Sometimes I wonder if the NHL should take a page out of MLBs playbook and have a total playoffs MVP and a finals series MVP. Then maybe people won't compain when their stacked team almost got beat by 1 player.

Reactions: Silky Johnson

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Proper lose-lose situation.

If you don't go, people say you are ungrateful and a sore loser.

If you go, people say you only care about individual achievements.

This is why losing players shouldn't get the Conn Smythe. It's just a weird scenario where you're getting an MVP while the other team is celebrating the greatest day of their professional lives.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Yet some people want to give to Barkov, who disappeared in games 4-7.

He was the best Panther by a mile in game 6 and shut down McDavid in game 7. Doesn't mean he should have won it, but that's not disappearing. It's not all about the scoresheet.

I really don’t think they would have.

Hard to see Crosby disrespecting Bettman and that trophy. It would be totally against his character.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
McDavid had to figure he was a near lock. I get he's not a very cocky guy, but knowing he had beat TGO's assist record and scored the 3rd most points ever in a playoff run, it was a near certainty he was going to win it.

Then again, maybe someone should've told him as soon as the game ended.

Reactions: HockeyWooot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad