Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #6 (2024 Version) - NOTICE: please change your vote to Ilyin or Ponomaryov

Who do you rank as the Penguins #6 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pono has the chance to reach his potential first and that has a weighted measurement in readiness.

The Pens gave up the best player in the deal so they got the best they could in the circumstances. Had they known that was the route they were going to go they should have shipped him out with a year of term left ala Staal and got that 1st and top prospects. That was the only way they were going to do better than a bunch of 2nds bunched together.

I complain but imagine being Carolina!

We have a lot we can be sour about these days but at least our favorite team wasn't so dull, conservative, cheap and boring that they yawned their way past their window. Hope ya never win anything ever again, Jordy!

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I disagree. Brunicke and Howe had been acknowledged as potential first round picks by multiple scouts. They both have potential top 6/top4 upside. The Penguins’ draft this year was well-rated in terms of the quantity and placement of their picks because of this. I’ll take that over even a probable 3rd line forward every day of the week.
Pono was drafted almost exactly where Brunicke and Howe were so it's not like they have better pedigree or anything. You'd hope Howe follows the trajectory that Pono has.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Pono has the chance to reach his potential first and that has a weighted measurement in readiness.

The Pens gave up the best player in the deal so they got the best they could in the circumstances. Had they known that was the route they were going to go they should have shipped him out with a year of term left ala Staal and got that 1st and top prospects. That was the only way they were going to do better than a bunch of 2nds bunched together.
I guess I don’t agree that readiness should be weighted that way, particularly with this team. A 3rd line center now is worth less to this franchise than a 2nd line winger or 2nd pairing defenseman in 3-4 years.

Pono was drafted almost exactly where Brunicke and Howe were so it's not like they have better pedigree or anything. You'd hope Howe follows the trajectory that Pono has.
Draft position isn’t the be all end all, especially when there can be a lot of variability from one year to the next in terms of talent depth. If you read the scouting reports on some of the newly drafted players, they have higher potential than him.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I guess I don’t agree that readiness should be weighted that way, particularly with this team. A 3rd line center now is worth less to this franchise than a 2nd line winger or 2nd pairing defenseman in 3-4 years.

Draft position isn’t the be all end all, especially when there can be a lot of variability from one year to the next in terms of talent depth. If you read the scouting reports on some of the newly drafted players, they have higher potential than him.
But how many years is he out from being that impact? Also, a lot can change in that time frame.

I take the NHL ready player 100%

Edit: You actually answered that in your response.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
But how many years is he out from being that impact? Also, a lot can change in that time frame.

I take the NHL ready player 100%
I think some of that depends on where the team is. A 3rd line center right now is definitely more helpful to a playoff team that is only 1 or 2 depth pieces away from being a Cup contender. The Pens aren’t that.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
He's only 22 so this really isn't an issue.
In 4-5 years he’ll be a 3rd line center seeking UFA money and Howe/Brunicke will potentially be cost-controlled 2nd line/2nd pair players on a team that is working out of a mini-rebuild. I’d take those guys any day in our current position. Taking how ready a player is over how high a player’s ceiling is just doesn’t seem right to me, especially given the circumstance.

I would always take a good 3C over a 2nd line winger
Given your name, I get that. 😂 I would not always take a 3C over a 2nd line winger, and certainly not a 2nd pair D.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
In 4-5 years he’ll be a 3rd line center seeking UFA money and Howe/Brunicke will potentially be cost-controlled 2nd line/2nd pair players on a team that is working out of a mini-rebuild. I’d take those guys any day in our current position. Taking how ready a player is over how high a player’s ceiling is just doesn’t seem right to me, especially given the circumstance.
That ceiling isn't static, you don't even know what these guys will be in 4/5 years. You're treating them as they are assured to even reach what Pono is now.

Prospect in hand and two in the bush.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
That ceiling isn't static, you don't even know what these guys will be in 4/5 years. You're treating them as they are assured to even reach what Pono is now.

Prospect in hand and two in the bush.
I’m not saying they’re assured. I’m saying I’d rather take their potential over a guy whose ceiling is 3rd line minutes. I’d rather go for potential than safety.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
CDC's scurvy rhetoric has swayed me. Sorry. CLC. I've no idea why I default to calling you the Center for Disease Control.

Remember when Lukas Bengtsson got Lyme disease after signing here? JFC I have no idea why someone willing comes into this organization sometimes.

Not relevant to anything you said but your mention of scurvy reminded me.

Maybe Pono can become JG Padge-oh.

If that means we can trade him for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd then yes I agree.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
One thing I liked way back when from the original Hockey's Future website was how they had prospects rated by both upside and likelihood of reaching that upside.
So, for example, a forward might get a ranking of 7.0C, which would mean they had a ceiling of being a third-line forward in the NHL, but they weren't likely to achieve that potential (If I recall correctly, 10 was generational talent, 9 was elite/all-star level, 8 was top six, etc, while A meant that they were basically guaranteed to hit their ceiling, B meant they would likely fall by 1, C by 2, etc).

I mean, those ratings were often off by quite a bit, but I did like the idea of the system, at least :laugh:
I liked that system as well. But yeah, I still think of Tangradi getting the 8.0B rating after that trade. Whomp whomp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad