Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #5 (2024 Version)

Who do you rank as the Penguins #5 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Koivunen won a close #4.

Vote for who you think is the Penguins #5 prospect.

Poll closes in 2-4 days, unless voting is not close.

Results so far:

#1 Yager 92.6% (called early)
#2 Blomqvist 70.9% (called early)
#3 Pickering 55.7% (asked people to change votes to avoid a runoff)
#4 Koivunen 54.3%

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I will say this for Ilyin, he only has this year left on his KHL deal so we should know pretty quick what he is unless he never comes over.

I voted Murashov because I’m more familiar with his game but admittedly it is a bit concerning how crowded the organizational net is. Hopefully the cream rises to the top but AHL teams also want to win and sometimes favor vets over developing younger guys.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Think after Murashov I’ll go Ilyn. His season was downright incredible. I’d probably have him over Pickering and Koivunen.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Murashov doesn't make alot of sense here imo. His stats have been very good but he hasn't played in NA and has a grand total of 7 KHL games.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Murashov clearly the winner here. The next few are going to get tough because there are so many on the same level and quite a few with ups and downs.

Like, Howe vs Ilyin vs Pono...tough calls to make.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Murashov doesn't make alot of sense here imo. His stats have been very good but he hasn't played in NA and has a grand total of 7 KHL games.
He also murdered the MHL that same season

Blomqvist was ranked #5 in 2020 after his Liiga U20 season where he put up good numbers. So Murashov at #5 isn't all that surprising.

ETA: Lol, this is the 2020 list:
1. Poulin (84.3% of vote)
2. POJ (70.6% of vote)
3. Legare (69.4% of vote)
4. O'Connor (34.1% of vote, won run-off vs Blomqvist)
5. Blomqvist (64.2% of vote)
6. Maniscalco (42.2% of vote)
7. Puustinen (43.8% of vote)
8. Bjorkqvist (39.5% of vote)
9. Clang (43.2% of vote)
10. Gruden (33.3% of vote)
11. Lee (35.1% of vote)
12. Bellerive (36.1% of vote)
13. Angello (56.3% of vote)
14. Miletic (28.6% of vote)
15. Drozg (21.7% of vote)
16. Zohorna (53.6% of vote)

Almost tough to look at. An ECHL journeyman was our #6 prospect.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The excitement over Maniscalco at the time made no damn sense. I don't think I've ever seen this board get so collectively over-giddy over a guy and I hope to never do so again...

... he said looking at 7th round pick Mac Swanson being in the running for our 5th best prospect.

Also I went Murashov, but honestly that might be because I'm lazy and haven't thought too hard about the couple of other guys it might make sense to put there instead. If someone wants to sell me into changing my vote, go for it. Not that it's going to matter.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Tempted to vote Murashov but went for Pono. His ceiling ia probably 3C but he could claim that as soon as this year. Murashov has sky high potential but is a few years from realizing it.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The excitement over Maniscalco at the time made no damn sense. I don't think I've ever seen this board get so collectively over-giddy over a guy and I hope to never do so again...

... he said looking at 7th round pick Mac Swanson being in the running for our 5th best prospect.
The Maniscalco hype was mostly because he was one of the top NCAA UFA’s that year (of which 99.5% of those guys never turn into anything) and a poster acting like we just signed 21 yo Ray Bourque getting everyone excited even though he likely never saw a photo of the guy before we signed him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Goalies are basket cases and should be banished from the voting 😝

Even if they become good, how many years will they be good enough for?

This is the only way to track prospect goalies…….

1722973138711.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What's a Maniscalco?

Also I can't tell if Hanks is being sarcastic or not but I can't help but agree a little. But the fact is that two of the best ten prospects in this group are goaltenders even if they are all airheads. And the idea of drafting and developing a ready contingent of goaltenders you can cycle through is a solid plan...

...I mean... it would be at least... if this team actually followed through on that last part. But we have Tristan Jarry locked up forever. Hooray.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Murashov, add Lucius please.

Junior to the A is always tough, even more so for someone unfamiliar with the culture. I think Murashov will be fine after a bit

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well yeah, he's 20.

Juniors to NHL backup and posting solid numbers in 7 games is still good.
It's the most miniscule sample size to vote for a top 5 rank prospect.

Edit: Ranking the KHL as equal to the NHL is a bit dubious as well.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's the most miniscule sample size to vote for a top 5 rank prospect.

Edit: Ranking the KHL as equal to the NHL is a bit dubious as well.
What I was alluding to was more or less how their league levels work:

KHL = NHL
VHL = AHL
MHL = CHL/NCAA

Sure, the NHL > KHL and AHL >> VHL but the point was to show the comparable paths a player would take.

Blomqvist had mostly junior-level play before being voted #5, so again, it's not that uncommon for us. He actually played two games in Liiga and posted 4.73 GAA and .808 sv%. So Mursahov posting what he did in the KHL, at his age, is still impressive.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
He also murdered the MHL that same season

Blomqvist was ranked #5 in 2020 after his Liiga U20 season where he put up good numbers. So Murashov at #5 isn't all that surprising.

ETA: Lol, this is the 2020 list:
1. Poulin (84.3% of vote)
2. POJ (70.6% of vote)
3. Legare (69.4% of vote)
4. O'Connor (34.1% of vote, won run-off vs Blomqvist)
5. Blomqvist (64.2% of vote)
6. Maniscalco (42.2% of vote)
7. Puustinen (43.8% of vote)
8. Bjorkqvist (39.5% of vote)
9. Clang (43.2% of vote)
10. Gruden (33.3% of vote)
11. Lee (35.1% of vote)
12. Bellerive (36.1% of vote)
13. Angello (56.3% of vote)
14. Miletic (28.6% of vote)
15. Drozg (21.7% of vote)
16. Zohorna (53.6% of vote)

Almost tough to look at. An ECHL journeyman was our #6 prospect.
I pounded that Puustinen drum forever. But yes, that’s pretty depressing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What's a Maniscalco?

Also I can't tell if Hanks is being sarcastic or not but I can't help but agree a little. But the fact is that two of the best ten prospects in this group are goaltenders even if they are all airheads. And the idea of drafting and developing a ready contingent of goaltenders you can cycle through is a solid plan...

...I mean... it would be at least... if this team actually followed through on that last part. But we have Tristan Jarry locked up forever. Hooray.

They didn't do the first bit either. Seven years between drafting goalies (excluding Gustavsson because they kept him for about two years) isn't good enough. I'd like them to draft a goalie in the next couple drafts.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They didn't do the first bit either. Seven years between drafting goalies (excluding Gustavsson because they kept him for about two years) isn't good enough. I'd like them to draft a goalie in the next couple drafts.

True. Honestly I think you should grab one good project at that position every draft or two.

I mean... provided they start planning on actually playing any of these guys at some point.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
True. Honestly I think you should grab one good project at that position every draft or two.

I mean... provided they start planning on actually playing any of these guys at some point.

Blomqvist just did his first AHL season, no? Sure it's coming in time.

Reactions: Malkinstheman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad