Does Mitch Marner re-sign with Toronto?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does Mitch Marner re-sign with Toronto?

• Yes

Votes: 59 53.6%
  • No he gets traded and resigns with his new team

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • No the Leafs let him walk next summer

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Too early to tell

Votes: 7 6.4%

• Total voters

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I wonder if he gets the Phil Kessel treatment. Trade him to a contender where he's not counted on to carry the offense night in and night out. He plays behind superstars where he doesn't have the pressure. Where he can be played on the teams third line and provide secondary offense.
I could believe that.

The Kessel trade was the start of the tanking for Matthews. Trade Marner for future picks/prospects. Get rid of some deadweight veterans. Tank just hard enough to get a prime pick this upcoming season and bounce back in the next year.

The Leafs have been in steady decline the last two seasons, so a targeted rebuild makes much sense.

• Haha
Reactions: AvroArrow

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I could believe that.

The Kessel trade was the start of the tanking for Matthews. Trade Marner for future picks/prospects. Get rid of some deadweight veterans. Tank just hard enough to get a prime pick this upcoming season and bounce back in the next year.

The Leafs have been in steady decline the last two seasons, so a targeted rebuild makes much sense.

That is a horrible plan lol.. Replace them with who? Even if they could pick their spot in the draft (they can’t) who will be available that is NHL ready and better than Marner?

If you want to waste the massive deals they just gave Matthews and Nylander it’s a good idea though.

Reactions: Voight

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
When it comes to the Leafs, there’s what makes sense and then there’s what Leafs mgt will do. It feels like one of Tavares or Marner will come back. And after that cringey captaincy press conference, it seems like that will be Tavares. Not sure if that was a captaincy ceremony or more of a mafia like ceremony where Tavares was becoming “made” in the eyes of mgt. Very weird.

And it’s like no one wants to blink...so they just keep bringing everyone back including Shanahan. And why all this default trust in Shanahan? You’d think Shanahan is the only person in all of Ontario with the recipe for ice cubes or something. What, 15-25% of the league comes from Ontario and this is the only guy suited to run the Leafs?

But that’s also why it’s entertaining to watch. Leafs should be on All or Nothing every year but especially now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't see him traded. The NMC makes it hard. Maybe one of those sign and trades to sell the 8th year.

They may pay him what he wants just so they don't lose the player value. The team won't get it's identity change but imo they have more to lose than to gain if they lose Marner with no plan to replace his value with a top Dman

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He’ll be re-signed in the same fashion as nylander

Putting up career numbers by Christmas
Agent engages
Contract signed between Nylander and Matthews

It was always going to be between Nylander and Matthews
So I guess Toronto should be happy they already know the ceiling on his AAV.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wonder if he gets the Phil Kessel treatment. Trade him to a contender where he's not counted on to carry the offense night in and night out. He plays behind superstars where he doesn't have the pressure. Where he can be played on the teams third line and provide secondary offense.
Two very different players. Kessel was always a great playoff player. Marner is not.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He’ll be re-signed in the same fashion as nylander

Putting up career numbers by Christmas
Agent engages
Contract signed between Nylander and Matthews

It was always going to be between Nylander and Matthews
So I guess Toronto should be happy they already know the ceiling on his AAV.

IDK I think it will be different. Nylander has been our best playoff player for years now and Matthews is Matthews. I think the team is willing to let Marner walk if it comes to that.

The real question is what is the max deal Marner gets out there? Can he get 13x7? Probably from some non playoff team. Over 8 years that same deal is 11.7x8. From a yearly playoff team he probably only gets that over 7 years which is even less over 8.

Toronto is still the best place when balancing a competitive team and the most money he can get. I truly do not think the Leafs give him 13x8 no matter how good his season goes(unless we like win the cup or come close and he is a big part of that). He's not Matthews and he is not close to him. Enough of trying to just him as your comparable, he needs to take a fair deal to stay this time.

As an aside, I think it is very manageable with Marner, Nylander, Matthews making ~36M in a ~95M cap world. In 2 seasons the cap is over 100M and they would be able to have 2 more highly paid pieces between D and goal and still have money to retain their depth. At this point it is about they need to win and show change shouldn't happen.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

lol Marner on a 3rd line.

What Team would have Marner on a 3rd line?

Two very different players. Kessel was always a great playoff player. Marner is not.

You don’t watch hockey do you?

Kessel was only successful when he got traded to the Pens.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Kessel was a PPG player in a significantly lower scoring era with Bozak as his 1c. He was easily our best player in the 2013 series vs Boston too and actually impacted the entire series. Kessel was a top 5 RW in the league in Toronto.

Reactions: Crow and Beau Knows

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

lol Marner on a 3rd line.

What Team would have Marner on a 3rd line?

Then you replied with this

Kessel was a PPG player in a significantly lower scoring era with Bozak as his 1c. He was easily our best player in the 2013 series vs Boston too and actually impacted the entire series. Kessel was a top 5 RW in the league in Toronto.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Depends on what you mean by success. If it’s team success, then sure. If it’s individual play then you simply don’t know what you’re talking about.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
... that's literally his current situation

Ya the problem with the leafs is that the guy who Marner is supposed to be behind does practically nothing in the playoffs most of the time too.. yet Marner is the one getting the heat

Reactions: Voight

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I’d be surprised if he resigns during the season. This is shanahan’s last year as well, if things go south again, he will need a new scapegoat, that will be marner.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad