Rumor: Prospect Matteau Jr article on RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

QcNordzFan84

May 28, 2011
Quebec City
Mentioning he got benched after getting a bad slashing call in their playoff loss against the Drakkar in the Qjmhl, and decided not to get aboard the team's bus home, taking the fans bus instead.

GM Joël Bouchard is apparently calling a press conference monday to clarify things about it.

The article mentions he could have ''left'' the team, displeased from the situation (getting benched).

Source (in french): http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lhjmq/matteau-déserterait-l-armada-1.612232

Well, this is sad news... I hope the kid can get over it, he was doing good earlier in the season.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
The coolest of cool, Bjorn Borg, spent his youth being the worst behaving player. I believe it was the same with Federer. Most brats can be taught to behave in the world of sports.

DevilChuk*

Relax guys.

He's a kid. He's frustrated. He's made a stupid irrational decision in the heat of the moment. No-one here has ever done the same?

Has very little to do with how he'll turn out. Stop pretending like he quit playing hockey or Lou has to trade him now because he has discipline issues.

I'm not that high on the guy (i see his max potential as a solid 2nd line winger) but this has very, very little to do with it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The fact that his dad is a assistant HC makes this even weirder. If he did drop his team, this is pretty alarming.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Relax guys.

He's a kid. He's frustrated. He's made a stupid irrational decision in the heat of the moment. No-one here has ever done the same?

not after being drafted in the first round of the nhl draft, nope. cant say I have.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
Don't worry, he will soon learn how to channel that anger

emperor-palpatine.jpg

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Blown way out of proportion. Clearly he just wanted to get closer to his fans and decided to ride with them. :sarcasm:

DevilChuk*

not after being drafted in the first round of the nhl draft, nope. cant say I have.

I forgot first round draft picks give up their rights to have emotions and must immediately mature beyond their years or else.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I forgot first round draft picks give up their rights to have emotions and must immediately mature beyond their years or else.

Isn't that the point of interviewing players before the draft? Do we skip that process since we are broke now or something?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The only relevant point out of this story to me is I wish we'd start calling players strikers and calling our games duels. Especially when playing the rangers.

Kid being a dumb kid. Dad drama overlaid with hockey drama. Not a first.

This. We also had a grown man shoot a puck at a coach and an NHL captain publicly criticize his coach for making him take a road trip with the team. The fact that an 18 (19?) year old kid got pissed at his coach and quit the team (with 2 games left) is essentially a non-issue. It's an emotional game, and he's a young player who doesn't know how to control his emotions yet. No big deal.

Is there any difference between this and a professional player holding out or requesting a trade? Barely.

DevilChuk*

um yeah they probably should

Isn't that the point of interviewing players before the draft? Do we skip that process since we are broke now or something?

Kids get drafted at the age of 18 years old. Matteau is 19 right now. You're foolish to think that they're not going to make the same mistakes a typical teenager would. Being drafted doesn't make you wiser than your years nor does it force you to give up the natural development of growing up by making mistake and learning from them.

The point of interviewing players is to make sure they have no emotions and will immediately mature once they're drafted? Seriously? :laugh:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Guy started the year in the NHL. Making bank, flying everywhere, dealing with the best of the best in life. And then has to ride the bus in Junior. Damn right he's frustrated.

And I hope he channels that into being the best damn player he can be.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Kids get drafted at the age of 18 years old. Matteau is 19 right now. You're foolish to think that they're not going to make the same mistakes a typical teenager would. Being drafted doesn't make you wiser than your years nor does it force you to give up the natural development of growing up by making mistake and learning from them.

The point of interviewing players is to make sure they have no emotions and will immediately mature once they're drafted? Seriously? :laugh:

Why aren't other players showing emotion coming out of the draft? I'm confused since everyone is like this.

Not that that is even my point, not sure how I got sucked into that low level argument.

Keeping the pick at all is what irks me still.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I agree we need more info (doubt we hear it) but people are now OK with our first round selection quitting on his team. sounds about right

DevilChuk*

Why aren't other players showing emotion coming out of the draft? I'm confused since everyone is like this.

Not that that is even my point, not sure how I got sucked into that low level argument.

Keeping the pick at all is what irks me still.

Your question should be: Why aren't other players quitting their teams? Because the one you posed is just.. stupid in all honesty.

He made a mistake. Others may not make that mistake. That doesn't mean his mistake is going to be the death of him and his NHL dreams.

I agree we need more info (doubt we hear it) but people are now OK with our first round selection quitting on his team. sounds about right

Okay with it? Nope. Mostly everyone said it was a mistake.

Just not that big of a deal. Kids make mistakes. Then they learn from them. Sometimes, that makes them a better person. Sometimes, it doesn't and they make the same mistake again. Let's see how Matteau responds to this adversity before we write him off..

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I don't get why posters are just brushing this off like it's something that happens often. Quitting on your team who's right in the middle of the playoffs, your teamates and your dad is pretty brutal IMO.

What bothers me the most about his actions is that he quit for a childish ****ing reason. You're going to leave the team because you got benched by your head coach? Is that they type of character this kid has when the going get's tough or because he got a taste at "the good life" in the NHL?

I'm 110% certain that if it were a Rangers prospect, we'd be calling Sather a idiot right about now but since it's the Devils, we'll just be calling it "monday drama". Kabanov pulled the same **** and everyone was calling the kid "brain dead" and was nothing else then a massive bust.

It's funny how quick we look away when stuff happens in our own back yard but are just as quick to laugh at the misfortune of others... And that's one of the main reasons I love this place :laugh:

DevilChuk*

I don't get why posters are just brushing this off like it's something that happens often. Quitting on your team who's right in the middle of the playoffs, your teamates and your dad is pretty brutal IMO.

What bothers me the most about his actions is that he quit for a childish ****ing reason. You're going to leave the team because you got benched by your head coach? Is that they type of character this kid has when the going get's tough or because he got a taste at "the good life" in the NHL?

I'm 110% certain that if it where a Rangers prospect, we'd be calling Sather a idiot right about now but since it's the Devils, we'll just be calling it "monday drama".

Love this place :laugh:

You don't even know why he quit and you're calling his reasons childish..

Why don't we wait for him to talk before we indict the guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad