Pro Tank Thread "You said that we'd be better now, better now. But you always let us down."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Every two points in October will come to haunt us in April.

These useless points can be the difference between a franchise player and a second pairing defenceman.

1d8d8ddcc68a0f1136ccd062382231221a45d1aa666d0ffa0a17203ffec225f0.jpg

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Would be nice if we could have one of those historically bad seasons.
All it's going to take is one Tanev or even Edler injury to turn this defense into a disaster. Also, less than above average play from our goalies.

Our bottom 6 is playing quite well right now, and that should cease once other teams get settled into games. There's no reason for us to be beating Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay other than them just not being prepared coming into games. I'm expecting some big losses the next time we play those teams.

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
Interesting to go back and look at the bottom three finishers from last season at National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

Buffalo: Poor start, sub 5% chance of playoffs by late November.

Arizona: Catastrophic start, sub 5% chance of playoffs by early November.

Ottawa: Decent start, peaked at just over 80% playoff odds in mid November before ultimately falling to sub 5% chance of playoffs by mid-late December.

Montreal (4th worst) also had a poor start. Among the bottom 10 finishers, NYI, Detroit, Vancouver, and Chicago had decent starts

Looking at estimates for this year (Playoff Probabilities Report | Hockey-Reference.com), the worst teams are Detroit (8.2%), NYR.(22.4%), and Arizona (27.7%). Vancouver sits at 70%.

My takeaways from these two sets of statistics, both pro and anti-tank:

-Tank supporters may already have reason to be nervous. Mediocre to strong starts were more commonly found among the bad but not terrible teams (5th-10th place) than among the lottery pick teams. The truly bad generally did not start strong.
-The basement is still attainable. Vancouver could follow Ottawa's path to a lottery pick position. Weak possession stats through the first six games of the season are in their favour in this regard.
-The tank probably needs to get underway sooner than you might think. Notwithstanding the decent start, Ottawa's playoff odds plummeted last year in about mid-November and never recovered.
-Only Detroit has really established themselves as a front runner candidate for a lottery pick position. This favours the tankers for the moment as Vancouver only has one team to chance in the turtle derby, not two.

If anyone knows how these observations hold up to data from past years (or knows where this data can be found for past years) I would be curious to see.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gotta admit the wins feel good and its nice to fist pump when our guys score. That Boeser OT goal will be on hilite reals for a LONG time

:yo:

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
EP and hot goalies might save this incompetent management for another season. Surely you don't want that. :pout:
They keep hitting homeruns with their picks tho and hitting later round picks. I think they need an experienced vet to work with Benning as he still has his mistakes (Gagner contract, Vanek trade) but let him and his crew keep drafting the way they are (minus the obvious f up in 2016)

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
They keep hitting homeruns with their picks tho and hitting later round picks. I think they need an experienced vet to work with Benning as he still has his mistakes (Gagner contract, Vanek trade) but let him and his crew keep drafting the way they are (minus the obvious f up in 2016)
They should have never gotten rid of Gilman. Him over seeing the contracts would have been so important to this regime and their mistakes. We still wouldn't have a great trading record but our books would look a ton better.

Reactions: Jack Burton

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Jim has been assistant GM since 2007 and an actual GM since 2014.

In what f***in occupation can you take 11 years to learn and still need someone to hold your hand...

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I know what you did.

What you didn't see coming was that Im not that big of a Gillis fan either.
I obviously prefer him over Dim Jim. He knew to surround him self with competent people. Jim gets rid of them when they challenge him.
I liked Gillis but it was time for change. As far as having competent people around, I have no problem with Weisbrod or anyone else on the team at this point but that will be subject to change after this year. As far as getting rid of people that challenge, I see that merely as showing strength of conviction and that’s really the only way I can see that not knowing enough about the inner dynamics of the organization.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I liked Gillis but it was time for change. As far as having competent people around, I have no problem with Weisbrod or anyone else on the team at this point but that will be subject to change after this year. As far as getting rid of people that challenge, I see that merely as showing strength of conviction and that’s really the only way I can see that not knowing enough about the inner dynamics of the organization.

That is the only way huh?

Reactions: Jack Burton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad