Prime Crosby & Malkin in Stanley Cup Runs

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Significantly younger actually.

Their best playoffs were when they were 20-21 and 21-22 years old respectively. Only stopped by Zetterberg, Datsyuk Lidstrom, Rafalski. I guess Malkin was better in 2017 than 2008, but still haha.

Detroit was playing with 2 Barkovs and a (more seasoned/dominat) Makar haha. Those finals were insane match ups.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
i keep waiting for mcdavid to just take it to the net and make it happen when nothing else is working and he doesn't do it. crosby would have by now
Sid also routinely drew two guys to him. I think Mcdavids so fast that the opposing players just switch off and play more of a zone defense. It can be confusing but a well coached team like the Panthers aren’t having too many issues with it.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Sid also routinely drew two guys to him. I think Mcdavids so fast that the opposing players just switch off and play more of a zone defense. It can be confusing but a well coached team like the Panthers aren’t having too many issues with it.
he looks like the bad version of sid, disengaged and deferring and playing on the outside. he's 27 and is in his first finals, i really thought we'd be seeing some heroics

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I love seeing Marner/Matthews/Nylander and McD/Drai NOT win because I'm such a hater and it reminds of how great 71/87 are and how damn hard it is to win and they got 3 cups.

I'm not saying it's over but I love that oilers are getting beat up and the big guys aren't producing.
I am very petty like this too and it’s why I’m rooting for Florida this series. You know as soon as McDavid wins ONE Cup, everyone will anoint him as better all time than Sid and I will not stand by that.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
The true gift Crosby and Malkin really had is they made their linemate flat out better. Only when needed they would flat out take over. The opposite had to choose, send their best defense pair against Crosby, but who do you have for Malkin, or you best defensive forward against Malkin who was much smaller than him. Then when teams did the reverse, Crosby would grind you down. Sheesh If the team's cap was better managed and constructed they could of had 5 rings. RIght now Crosby Malkin were more complete and McDavid and Draistl

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Still kinda bums me out to think of what a prime Sid + prime Hossa + prime Geno could've accomplished.

Were it up to me I would have just gone full-on 90s Penguins for a lot of those floundering around years between Cups to see what happened. If nothing else it would have been fun. But nooooooooooo... they had to spend all that money on like "defensive depth" and chasing the ghost of Jordan Staal for like a decade on the third line.

I know there have been more than a few terrific players to regularly skate next to Sid and G but doesn't it sometimes feel like we didn't get to see enough of either one have a like... wrecking ball kinda line? Just plow through the competetion night after night like Crosby was doing with Hossa and sometimes Jake later on or Malkin with Neal (or that one year with Jake).

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Were it up to me I would have just gone full-on 90s Penguins for a lot of those floundering around years between Cups to see what happened. If nothing else it would have been fun. But nooooooooooo... they had to spend all that money on like "defensive depth" and chasing the ghost of Jordan Staal for like a decade on the third line.

I know there have been more than a few terrific players to regularly skate next to Sid and G but doesn't it sometimes feel like we didn't get to see enough of either one have a like... wrecking ball kinda line? Just plow through the competetion night after night like Crosby was doing with Hossa and sometimes Jake later on or Malkin with Neal (or that one year with Jake).
Hossa did an interview with the Spittin Chiclets dickheads like a year ago (maybe?) where he basically just said Therrien didn't bother him, he loved playing with Sid, he had a better deal on the table from Shero, but he just developed this really weird, fangirl kinda mystique for the Red Wings and how much of a well oiled machine they ran as. Kinda weird how sorta over dramatic he was about it, but that was basically it. He just left because he wanted to experience that whole environment and he thought it'd turn him into the best player he could possibly be as an NHLer. :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Nah. The rumor at the time was we would be moving out Malkin for 2nd overall (Doughty) and Cammalleri for cap purposes if we signed Hossa.

We just didn’t have the cap space to pay Sid, Geno and Hossa 8+ mil each which is where we would’ve been after 2009.
Well they would've been forced to let Orpik walk, which would've been an added bonus at least. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad