Value of: Price (with retention down to $9M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
that premise is nonsense and you know it. The Habs won’t take 5.25mm annual cap hit to pay for Price to play for another team. If you did believe that, That’s you very loudly admitting his current contact is a very negative value asset if you believe Montreal was that desperate to move him. Hence this value thread is solved. His value at 10.5mm or even 9mm Over the next six seasons is negative.

Price voted the best by the players and not even close. This with bad stats this past year too :sarcasm:. Same players voted McDavid the best player. Go figure eh.

oLZnaqD.png

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Price voted the best by the players and not even close. This with bad stats this past year too :sarcasm:. Same players voted McDavid the best player. Go figure eh.

oLZnaqD.png
So you’re gonna stick with your BS when the last 7/8 out of 10 Stanley Cup Champions primary playoff goalies had cap hits of $5 million or less. Over the last ten years the highest goalie cap hit of a Stanley Cup winning team was Crawford at $6 million and that was after he won his first Stanley Cup with Chicago at a $2.67 million cap hit.

18-19 Blues - Binnington - $650k cap hit
17-18 Capitals - Holtby - $5 million cap hit
16-17 Penguins - Murray/Fleury - $620k cap hit/$5.75 million cap hit
15-16 Penguins - Murray - $620k cap hit
14-15 Blackhawks - Crawford - $6 million cap hit
13-14 Kings - Quick - $5.8 million cap hit
12-13 Blackhawks - Crawford - $2.67 million cap hit
11-12 Kings - Quick - $1.8 million cap hit
10-11 Bruins - Thomas - $5 million cap hit
09-10 Blackhawks - Niemi - $827k cap hit

Montreal fans like you are delusional!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you’re gonna stick with your BS when the last 7/8 out of 10 Stanley Cup Champions primary playoff goalies had cap hits of $5 million or less. Over the last ten years the highest goalie cap hit of a Stanley Cup winning team was Crawford at $6 million and that was after he won his first Stanley Cup with Chicago at a $2.67 million cap hit.

18-19 Blues - Binnington - $650k cap hit
17-18 Capitals - Holtby - $5 million cap hit
16-17 Penguins - Murray/Fleury - $620k cap hit/$5.75 million cap hit
15-16 Penguins - Murray - $620k cap hit
14-15 Blackhawks - Crawford - $6 million cap hit
13-14 Kings - Quick - $5.8 million cap hit
12-13 Blackhawks - Crawford - $2.67 million cap hit
11-12 Kings - Quick - $1.8 million cap hit
10-11 Bruins - Thomas - $5 million cap hit
09-10 Blackhawks - Niemi - $827k cap hit

Montreal fans like you are delusional!

You are delusional if you think your $5M goalies take you to a cup like you listed :laugh:. Why don't you go all they way back to 2000? Inflation don't appear to matter to you.

Teams that have won with so so goalies or cheap ones, have had some of the best team D's in the league. Do the Avs have that? I think the Avs have a great team but they are not a defensive team like the Blues were.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hockey TEAM. You put Price on the Avs and you become a serious cup contender. Your $5.3M goalies would result in the Habs not beating the Pens or even coming close to it.

giphy.gif

It's pretty clear you aren't interested in having an actual discussion here.

You're just using Price's hot stretch as an opportunity to beat your chest on an Internet message board and "get even" with those who rip on Price's contract.

It's already pathetic, but then you have the audacity to tell those who disagree with you that your thinking is "more in line with NHL GMs," which is the most bizarre flex imaginable.

Look up "Napoleon Complex"

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
You are delusional if you think your $5M goalies take you to a cup like you listed :laugh:
I literally put the evidence right in front of your face where the majority of the last 10 Stanley Cup champions had goalies with cap hits of $5 million or less.

How about you list examples of goalies with cap hits like Price winning cups for their team. I’ll wait...

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The only logic I used is the fact that the Avs currently pay $5.333M for two goalies that yield similar results to what Montreal is getting for $10.5M.

There is no reason for them to torpedo their cap situation by acquiring an overpaid goalie.

In the Avs specific situation I think that they are happy with a 1A/1B situation, but comparing "similar results" is a little disingenuous when we're talking a 90 games difference played, on 2 wildly different talented teams. I'm pretty sure that for equal salary, the Avs would take Price in a heartbeat. That's an asset allocation dilemna though, not a talent one.

But that's one team. What about the Canes, Sharks, Oilers, Flames, Sabres? I'm sure they'd be interested in bringing Price. Some money would have to move around, but GM's can work around those issues. Teams have all sorts of bad contracts on their books, would not you rather have Price in nets, say 2-3M overpaid, than Milan Lucic who's paid $6M and bring very little to the table comparatively.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Look at what Bob, Fleury, and Vasy just got in recent seasons. Rask and Andersen will be no different. What will Holtby get? He probably does get affected depending on supply/demand and term. The issue here with Price is you are treating him like he is not one of the best goalies in the world right now today. That matters more than you are willing to admit.

There's a significant difference between signing a guy to a big contract as a UFA, and trading high value assets for a guy with a massive contract. If Price were a UFA, I don't doubt that he'd get close to $9m for 6 years from someone. If he were available at $9m for a 2nd round pick, I'm sure there are a couple of teams who would have a lot of interest. But, he's not a UFA, and the asking price is quite a bit higher than a 2nd round pick. And it's that asking price that very quickly makes him much too expensive and risky to consider as a legitimate option. Why give up a 1st + top prospect for Price and his cap hit, when you can sign another of the "best goalies in the world right now" as a UFA, and probably save both money and your pick/prospect?

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
The players measure is worth more than anything you can find on the net. And it's not like they only picked Price for one year. It's been several years in a row now. Players must be dummies and you are the genius GM Fan in your basement eh? Players shooting against all goalies and how they see things means nothing and the stats means everything eh. The team Price plays on means nothing eh?

Go sit down and take a break. Your Price hate stinks. Price is tending well and it's a perfect time to create a value thread for people like you.
Great post

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You are delusional if you think your $5M goalies take you to a cup like you listed :laugh:. Why don't you go all they way back to 2000? Inflation don't appear to matter to you.

Teams that have won with so so goalies or cheap ones, have had some of the best team D's in the league. Do the Avs have that? I think the Avs have a great team but they are not a defensive team like the Blues were.

We had the 5th fewest goals allowed in the NHL this season and had the best goal differential in the Western Conference. What evidence do you have that we don't have one of the best team Ds in the league?

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
We had the 5th fewest goals allowed in the NHL this season and had the best goal differential in the Western Conference. What evidence do you have that we don't have one of the best team Ds in the league?
The fact that the Avs don’t want to pay a past-his-prime 33 year old goalie $10.5 million for the next 6 years and give up valuable assets while doing so...duh!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The fact that the Avs don’t want to pay a past-his-prime 33 year old goalie $10.5 million for the next 6 years and give up valuable assets while doing so...duh!

This is not about the Avs and it's not also Price at $10.5M. Past his prime? Well, without him, the Habs don't win one game against the offensive powerhouse Pens. I still think he's in tip top shape and Team Canada still has him as their #1 goalie for the next Olympics.

Price at $9M from 33-38 is no different than Burns at $8M from 36-39 and Fleury at $8M from 35-37. Pretty sure the Knights are ok with Fleury from 35-37 at $8M. Keep dreaming that Price is in massive decline

Avs fans are going to get humbled with their "$5M star goalies" in this playoffs. Wait for it. The tone in your fan base will shift to you trying to find a better goalie. It's very possible that you target other goalies than Price but pretending your goalie contracts will be $5M forever is comical

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
It's pretty clear that you didn't start this thread to discuss value, but rather push a "I told you he was great" all along.

Specifically looking at his current playoff run, you won't find many arguing that Price isn't a great goalie. The challenge you get when trying to determine his value, is which team would be willing to trade prime assets AND commit to a goalie at 9+ mill for the next 5-6 years in their 30s.

If you compare to UFA goalies or goalies that re-sign for high numbers, there was no cost of acquisition other than contract.

In a trade, trading a 9+ million dollar player, leaving his prime committed long term is hard for any team to give A+ assets like you are wanting. You would have to hope for a similar type of trade that Vancouver and Florida pulled off for Luongo.

Reactions: Spilot23

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
This is not about the Avs and it's not also Price at $10.5M. Past his prime? Well, without him, the Habs don't win one game against the offensive powerhouse Pens. I still think he's in tip top shape and Team Canada still has him as their #1 goalie for the next Olympics.

Price at $9M from 33-38 is no different than Burns at $8M from 36-39 and Fleury at $8M from 35-37. Pretty sure the Knights are ok with Fleury from 35-37 at $8M. Keep dreaming that Price is in massive decline

Avs fans are going to get humbled with their "$5M star goalies" in this playoffs. Wait for it. The tone in your fan base will shift to you trying to find a better goalie. It's very possible that you target other goalies than Price but pretending your goalie contracts will be $5M forever is comical
Thanks for thinking about us. Again if the Avs loses in the playoffs I'm willing to bet my house that it won't be because of our goalies. Pretty sure you would've said the same thing to Blues fans if they told you the same thing as we're telling you. "Blues fans are going to get humbled with their inexperienced AHL goalie in this playoffs"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thanks for thinking about us. Again if the Avs loses in the playoffs I'm willing to bet my house that it won't be because of our goalies. Pretty sure you would've said the same thing to Blues fans if they told you the same thing as we're telling you. "Blues fans are going to get humbled with their inexperienced goalie in this playoffs"

Hey, if you guys are comfortable throwing Price under the bus time and time again... I'll be comfortable with saying you guys are going to get humbled when you get to final 8 or final 4 with your $5M goalies.

Blues have a much better team D than the Avs. And Binnington is better than both your goalies. Bad example. Keep trying

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Hey, if you guys are comfortable throwing Price under the bus time and time again... I'll be comfortable with saying you guys are going to get humbled when you get to final 8 or final 4 with your $5M goalies.

Blues have a much better team D than the Avs. And Binnington is better than both your goalies. Bad example. Keep trying

Last year, the Blues allowed the 6th fewest goals in the regular season. This year, the Avs allowed the 5th fewest goals in the regular season, 2 fewer than the Blues. Where's your evidence to suggest the Blues "have a much better team D than the Avs"?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

Would you have said that before the playoffs started ? I'm pretty sure they were alot of doubters back then. I'm using this example to tell you that teams aren't one Price away from winning the cup. Both of our goalies looked very good so far and I have no concern comes the playoffs. Our only concern right now is who are we starting in a game 7 serie. Blues might have a better defense than us but I think we're deeper than them right now. It could play a major role of having a better team's defense compared to having a better blueline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last year, the Blues allowed the 6th fewest goals in the regular season. This year, the Avs allowed the 5th fewest goals in the regular season, 2 fewer than the Blues. Where's your evidence to suggest the Blues "have a much better team D than the Avs"?

Look at the Blues in the 2nd half. We all know their story is completely different from the 1st half to 2nd half. Avs D is not terrible but it's not among the best in the NHL. Above average but enough to shelter your $5M goalies? We will see about that. It's possible but not likely in my books.

- Blues team D > Avs team D.
- Binnington > Avs $5M wonder goalies

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would you have said that before the playoffs started ? I'm pretty sure they were alot of doubters back then. I'm using this example to tell you that teams aren't one Price away from winning the cup. Both of our goalies looked very good so far and I have no concern comes the playoffs. Our only concern right now is who are we starting in a game 7 serie. Blues might have a better defense than us but I think we're deeper than them right now. It could play a major role of having a better team's defense compared to having a better blueline.

Comparing Binnington to the Avs $5M goalies is only making you guys look bad. Do you seriously think your 28 and 30 year old goalies compare to Binnington at 26 last year? Your on a role... keep er going... I'm entertained lol.

Go quickly look up the stats like you did with Price and ignore context... you seem good at that

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Players voting Price as the best by a wide margin is your biggest devalue attempt stumbling block. The only thing you got is he is overpaid but if he comes with retention, he's not a negative asset from 33-38.

But his stats are the reason why the Habs are struggling eh? Not the other way around right? :sarcasm: :laugh:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Look at the Blues in the 2nd half. We all know their story is completely different from the 1st half to 2nd half. Avs D is not terrible but it's not among the best in the NHL. Above average but enough to shelter your $5M goalies? We will see about that. It's possible but not likely in my books.

- Blues team D > Avs team D.
- Binnington > Avs $5M wonder goalies

In other words, you don't have any evidence to suggest the Avs aren't among the best in the NHL and want to continue to pretend your unsubstantiated opinion is just as valid as the evidence that shows you are wrong.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Comparing Binnington to the Avs $5M goalies is only making you guys look bad. Do you seriously think your 28 and 30 year old goalies compare to Binnington at 26 last year? Your on a role... keep er going... I'm entertained lol.

Go quickly look up the stats like you did with Price and ignore context... you seem good at that
I'm more entertained with your reading comprehension dang.

I never compared Avs goalies to Binnington here is what I said : "Would you have said that before the playoffs started ? I'm pretty sure they were alot of doubters back then. I'm using this example to tell you that teams aren't one Price away from winning the cup." I explain what it means since it seems very hard for you. I'm saying that without Price teams are still able to win cups. Murray back then before he was known, Binnington last year. Pretty sure people thought no way this inexperienced kid takes the Blues to the cup and yet he did. I never once said that our goalies are the same.

After that I said : "Both of our goalies looked very good so far and I have no concern comes the playoffs. Our only concern right now is who are we starting in a game 7 serie." This means that I trust in my goalies and THINK* they are good enough to take us far if they sh** the bed feel free to quote and laugh at me I will take it.

Finally I said : "Blues might have a better defense than us but I think we're deeper than them right now. It could play a major role of having a better team's defense compared to having a better blueline." This means I think they might have a better blueline than us but I think we're deeper than them. Avs could've a better team's defense than the Blues. How would you have ranked this dcorp before the playoffs or even Stanley Cup final started ?

Brian DumoulinRon Hainsey
Oilli Maatta — Trevor Daley
Ian Cole — Justin Schultz

Just to help you out again, I'm no way comparing this defense to the Avs one. I'm just saying for myself I would've said there is no way this team go far in the playoffs with that defense let alone win the cup. They won because they had a better team's defense, better system while having offense power.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In other words, you don't have any evidence to suggest the Avs aren't among the best in the NHL and want to continue to pretend your unsubstantiated opinion is just as valid as the evidence that shows you are wrong.

I have evidence that the Avs are not as good as a defensive team as the Blues and Binnington is better than your $5M goalies who are older than him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm more entertained with your reading comprehension dang.

I never compared Avs goalies to Binnington here is what I said : "Would you have said that before the playoffs started ? I'm pretty sure they were alot of doubters back then. I'm using this example to tell you that teams aren't one Price away from winning the cup." I explain what it means since it seems very hard for you. I'm saying that without Price teams are still able to win cups. Murray back then before he was known, Binnington last year. Pretty sure people thought no way this inexperienced kid takes the Blues to the cup and yet he did. I never once said that our goalies are the same.

After that I said : "Both of our goalies looked very good so far and I have no concern comes the playoffs. Our only concern right now is who are we starting in a game 7 serie." This means that I trust in my goalies and THINK* they are good enough to take us far if they sh** the bed feel free to quote and laugh at me I will take it.

Finally I said : "Blues might have a better defense than us but I think we're deeper than them right now. It could play a major role of having a better team's defense compared to having a better blueline." This means I think they might have a better blueline than us but I think we're deeper than them. Avs could've a better team's defense than the Blues. How would you have ranked this dcorp before the playoffs or even Stanley Cup final started ?

Brian DumoulinRon Hainsey
Oilli Maatta — Trevor Daley
Ian Cole — Justin Schultz

Just to help you out again, I'm no way comparing this defense to the Avs one. I'm just saying for myself I would've said there is no way this team go far in the playoffs with that defense let alone win the cup. They won because they had a better team's defense, better system while having offense power.

It all boils down to the original point... Avs D is not as good as the Blues and Binnington is better than your $5M goalies (yes, even before last year's playoffs). Avs fans are some of the most sensitive fans on HF Boards. Everything you got is gold... even your goalies. You have a good team with a great situation in your prospect pool and cap space but work left to do yet. Sakic would agree with me ;)

You feel like you can throw Price's value under the bus and how dare anybody say your goalies are not good enough to win a cup. It's hypocritical.

But hey, your offense is better than the Blues. Bet you some will reply and say... screw that, our offense is like 100 times better than the Blues :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad