Value of: Price (with retention down to $9M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Well, what you think and what actual GM's and players think are completely different stories. Fleury was just an example and I'm sure the Knights believe in him from 35-37 age range. Pretending that elite level goalies decline like players is foolish
Again mate you're in a forum here everyone has their opinion if you don't agree with them it's fine but stop throwing the "your opinion don't mean **** compared to GMs and players." because if everyone agreed with GMs and players this forum wouldn't exist.

We're not pretending but I think the risk is real when you try to acquire a goalie when usually aging is a sign of decline. You use the Fleury argument when he was picked from the expansion draft and signed after nearly winning the cup with Vegas in their 1st NHL season. Trading for Price is different because you probably expect pieces and but I wouldn't want to give anything valuable considering his contract. That's a killer for me. I would much rather get my core and depth players signed while having two cheap goalies for a good run. While Price's aging how many runs do he gives us with that contract for 6 more years ? How many core and depth pieces do we lose to fit Price in ? What happens if we get bounced in the 1st round after trading for Price ? Those are risks that I wouldn't be willing to take. I haven't seen Sakic overpay for someone since the Stuart/Berra situation or trading with big salary coming back so I doubt Sakic would move for Price.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh I’m sorry, how man cups has non-bargain bin Price won for Montreal again??

Avs have a better team so not sure what point you are trying to make. You are moving the conversation cause you don't have anything of substance on devaluing Price at this stage. Avs win no cups without Roy back when. And you think you win cups with $5M and under goalies? Wait till you get to the final 8 or final 4... you will come to your senses.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again mate you're in a forum here everyone has their opinion if you don't agree with them it's fine but stop throwing the "your opinion don't mean **** compared to GMs and players." because if everyone agreed with GMs and players this forum wouldn't exist.

We're not pretending but I think the risk is real when you try to acquire a goalie when usually aging is a sign of decline. You use the Fleury argument when he was picked from the expansion draft and signed after nearly winning the cup with Vegas in their 1st NHL season. Trading for Price is different because you probably expect pieces and but I wouldn't want to give anything valuable considering his contract. That's a killer for me. I would much rather get my core and depth players signed while having two cheap goalies for a good run. While Price's aging how many runs do he gives us with that contract for 6 more years ? How many core and depth pieces do we lose to fit Price in ? What happens if we get bounced in the 1st round after trading for Price ? Those are risks that I wouldn't be willing to take. I haven't seen Sakic overpay for someone since the Stuart/Berra situation or trading with big salary coming back so I doubt Sakic would move for Price.

Pretty sure my opinion is in line with the actual players and GM's and your's is in line with HF board popular bandwagons. If that makes you feel good about it... all the power to you.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Avs have a better team so not sure what point you are trying to make. You are moving the conversation cause you don't have anything of substance on devaluing Price at this stage. Avs win no cups without Roy back when. And you think you win cups with $5M and under goalies? Wait till you get to the final 8 or final 4... you will come to your senses.
Tell that to the last team that won the cup. Yeah just last year the Blues :laugh:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
"Over the last two years"

Ah yes you mean the 34 games of this year on the best team in the West vs Price's 124 games on one of the worst in the league? hmmmm Using that logic Brian Elliott and Thomas Greiss are all stars because they won the Jennings on defensive teams and those teams would not rather have a goalie like Price...

The only logic I used is the fact that the Avs currently pay $5.333M for two goalies that yield similar results to what Montreal is getting for $10.5M.

There is no reason for them to torpedo their cap situation by acquiring an overpaid goalie.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well I guess you should be GM then not a guy posting on forums :sarcasm:

How do you know I'm not Sakic in disguise? :laugh:. Pretty sure MacKinnon would tell you where to go and would welcome Price with open arms.

giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only logic I used is the fact that the Avs currently pay $5.333M for two goalies that yield similar results to what Montreal is getting for $10.5M.

There is no reason for them to torpedo their cap situation by acquiring an overpaid goalie.

Hockey TEAM. You put Price on the Avs and you become a serious cup contender. Your $5.3M goalies would result in the Habs not beating the Pens or even coming close to it.

giphy.gif

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
How do you know I'm not Sakic in disguise? :laugh:. Pretty sure MacKinnon would tell you where to go and would welcome Price with open arms.

giphy.gif
Pretty sure he would see it as : Dang there goes my next big paycheck if I wanna keep the core and depth intact while having good chance at winning the cup.

He's a competitor I doubt he cares which goalie is in the net as long as they are winning and most night he's the reason why they're winning not the goalies.

Nice gif btw I think I never saw it before.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Hmm lets see:

In the last 15 years since 2006 the only goalies that won a cup making more than 5M were Quick, Crawford and Holtby. Fleury and Thomas made 5M exactly but with inflation now would be over 5M.

You know how often goalies making less than 1 M won the cup?
6 times...
Or more often than guys making more than 5M...

The highest % of the cap of any winning goaltender was 9.07.
Price even @9M is at 11.11%.

Its almost like one key to winning a Stanley Cup is getting quality goaltending at a comparatively cheap cost...
Because goaltending good enough to win the cup in comparison is way easier to get than the type of quality needed on other positions (especially at center and D)...

There is a reason good teams like Washington will most likely let a guy like Holtby who won them a cup walk without second thoughts and why teams like the Habs and Panthers are going nowhere...

Paying insane amounts for goalies is akin to overpaying for running backs in the NFL. You just don't do it if you want to win..

Thats why nobody wants to help you out on Price...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty sure he would see it as : Dang there goes my next big paycheck if I wanna keep the core and depth intact while having good chance at winning the cup.

He's a competitor I doubt he cares which goalie is in the net as long as they are winning and most night he's the reason why they're winning not the goalies.

Nice gif btw I think I never saw it before.

Nah... he wants to win. And MacKinnon is also on record saying he will take another pay cut on his next contract.

Here is what is funny... you have cap space and are bragging about your $5M goalies. Do you seriously think The Avs will go with $5M - $6M for both goalies forever? lol.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Nah... he wants to win. And MacKinnon is also on record saying he will take another pay cut on his next contract.

Here is what is funny... you have cap space and are bragging about your $5M goalies. Do you seriously think The Avs will go with $5M - $6M for both goalies forever? lol.
Yes he wants to win and he's winning right now. Why do you think that Price would make a difference right now when both of our goalies have better numbers than him ? Put your shoes in Avs fans place. Would you want to bring a 9-10M$ goalie when both of your goalies are doing more than fine right now ?

No and I know that but right now it is and they're giving us a chance to win the cup. We already have a young rookie backup coming soon when we will have to decide which of Francouz or Grubauer do we keep.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hmm lets see:

In the last 15 years since 2006 the only goalies that won a cup making more than 5M were Quick, Crawford and Holtby. Fleury and Thomas made 5M exactly but with inflation now would be over 5M.

You know how often goalies making less than 1 M won the cup?
6 times...
Or more often than guys making more than 5M...

The highest % of the cap of any winning goaltender was 9.07.
Price even @9M is at 11.11%.

Its almost like one key to winning a Stanley Cup is getting quality goaltending at a comparatively cheap cost...
Because goaltending good enough to win the cup in comparison is way easier to get than the type of quality needed on other positions (especially at center and D)...

There is a reason good teams like Washington will most likely let a guy like Holtby who won them a cup walk without second thoughts and why teams like the Habs and Panthers are going nowhere...

Paying insane amounts for goalies is akin to overpaying for running backs in the NFL. You just don't do it if you want to win..

Thats why nobody wants to help you out on Price...

Past don't equal the future. The days of paying a top 5 or top 10 goalie $5M - $7M range are over. Do you know what inflation means? Ah wait... there is a flat cap and elite level players are going to suffer eh? :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Here is the funny part... No habs fans proposed Price to the Avs and it's just a value thread and would you look at that.... how many Avs fans are showing interest in this thread? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:.

You guys can have the room. I'm off. Keep making a fool of yourselfs by devaluing goalie who has been one of the best for pretty much a decade now. He's 33 and done right? :laugh:

The best one is Price at 50% would be hard to move. That one is golden and that guy should be ashamed :laugh:

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Here is the funny part... No habs fans proposed Price to the Avs and it's just a value thread and would you look at that.... how many Avs fans are showing interest in this thread? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:
You started it lol : "Price is that dam good that many teams will consider that if they need a goalie and can fit it in. Plus the Habs would almost take a goalie contract the other way cause it's reasonable. For a team like the Avs, it might be the difference in a cup or no cup. You think the Avs win cups without Roy back when? Doubt it."

We're just answering you why we don't want him but keep telling us that we would have better chance to win with Price when you don't know it and while also having two cheap goalies that have better numbers than Price.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Past don't equal the future. The days of paying a top 5 or top 10 goalie $5M - $7M range are over. Do you know what inflation means? Ah wait... there is a flat cap and elite level players are going to suffer eh? :laugh:

Why would these days are over now when the first time in forever the cap is stagnating and everyone is having problems?
This is exactly the time where you don't want to overpay your goalie...
And IMO any goalie that gets paid significantly more than 7M is probably not worth it. You usually are better off trading him and going for a cheaper replacement..

Yes the cap has risen significantly since 2006. But even then as I said nobody earned more than 9.07% of the cap and has won a cup.
Price even with retention down to 9M sits @ 11.11 %. Thats a huge difference. 9.07 % of the current cap would be 7.33M...
And he is getting older and is signed into his 40s...

So all around its a horrible idea for any team with cup winning ambitions to trade for him..

And you yourself brought up the Avs in this thread so don't be surprised about Avs fans shooting you down hard....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You started it lol : "Price is that dam good that many teams will consider that if they need a goalie and can fit it in. Plus the Habs would almost take a goalie contract the other way cause it's reasonable. For a team like the Avs, it might be the difference in a cup or no cup. You think the Avs win cups without Roy back when? Doubt it."

We're just answering you why we don't want him but keep telling us that we would have better chance to win with Price when you don't know it and while also having two cheap goalies that have better numbers than Price.

Not a proposal to the Avs. A value thread. Avs example is just one cause it does look like the Roy/Thibault situation where you have an awesome team so so in net. I do feel you will be held back if you don't find a more proven guy in net but hey, maybe you get lucky. Avs not the only team that could use Price but they are the only team with the cap space to pull it off. Some others can as well but Habs would have to take a cap dump and retain more. Just cause we are retaining, it don't mean we are selling for $0.5 on the dollar.

But it's still funny... It's almost like you guys are addicted to devaluing Price. The thread title did not say Avs and you came anyways ;)

Regardless, Price has a NMC and moving him probably won't happen. But the hate he gets on these boards is unreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would these days are over now when the first time in forever the cap is stagnating and everyone is having problems?
This is exactly the time where you don't want to overpay your goalie...
And IMO any goalie that gets paid significantly more than 7M is probably not worth it. You usually are better off trading him and going for a cheaper replacement..

Yes the cap has risen significantly since 2006. But even then as I said nobody earned more than 9.07% of the cap and has won a cup.
Price even with retention down to 9M sits @ 11.11 %. Thats a huge difference. 9.07 % of the current cap would be 7.33M...
And he is getting older and is signed into his 40s...

So all around its a horrible idea for any team with cup winning ambitions to trade for him..

And you yourself brought up the Avs in this thread so don't be surprised about Avs fans shooting you down hard....

Look at what Bob, Fleury, and Vasy just got in recent seasons. Rask and Andersen will be no different. What will Holtby get? He probably does get affected depending on supply/demand and term. The issue here with Price is you are treating him like he is not one of the best goalies in the world right now today. That matters more than you are willing to admit.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Not a proposal to the Avs. A value thread. Avs example is just one cause it does look like the Roy/Thibault situation where you have an awesome team so so in net. I do feel you will be held back if you don't find a more proven guy in net but hey, maybe you get lucky.

But it's still funny... It's almost like you guys are addicted to devaluing Price. The thread title did not say Avs and you came anyways ;)
I would be willing to risk it when an unknown goalie before january last year just won the Stanley Cup last year and got only paid 4.4M$.

Or you're addicted to pawning him to the Avs when time and time again Avs fans and others fans think that he's overpaid and Avs don't need him. Look at our roster right now we basically have no player that is overpaid and Price would be the worst acquisition to scramble our cap flexibility. If there's something to upgrade on the Avs it's our #3C and bottom pairing not our goaltending.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015

18-19 Blues - Binnington - $650k cap hit
17-18 Capitals - Holtby - $5 million cap hit
16-17 Penguins - Murray/Fleury - $620k cap hit/$5.75 million cap hit
15-16 Penguins - Murray - $620k cap hit
14-15 Blackhawks - Crawford - $6 million cap hit
13-14 Kings - Quick - $5.8 million cap hit
12-13 Blackhawks - Crawford - $2.67 million cap hit
11-12 Kings - Quick - $1.8 million cap hit
10-11 Bruins - Thomas - $5 million cap hit
09-10 Blackhawks - Niemi - $827k cap hit

That doesn’t seem to stop other teams.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I can’t tell if you’re joking
I’m absolutely not joking. I can’t tell if you Habs fans are joking thinking you can trade Price let alone get value for him.

Are you guys Fing with us or do you actually believe some GM is stupid enough to add his contract without shipping back an equally horrific contract to the Habs? I’ve seen rubbish like we’ll take Byram and a 1st for Price. That’s equivalent to me saying the Avs will take Caufield and a first for Jost. It’s just idiotic gibberish.

But congrats on how you’re doing against the Pens. Fun series to watch. Petry may be the most underrated player in the NHL. Gallagher is also a hell of a player.

I’m all ears if you can find a single NHL team that would take Price’s contract let alone give you value for it. That list is zero to me but if you have examples, provide them.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Look at what Bob, Fleury, and Vasy just got in recent seasons. Rask and Andersen will be no different. What will Holtby get? He probably does get affected depending on supply/demand and term. The issue here with Price is you are treating him like he is not one of the best goalies in the world right now today. That matters more than you are willing to admit.

I mean who cares if he is one of the best goalies in the world right now?
The truth is that the difference between one of the best goalies in the world right now and the 15-20th best goalie is significantly smaller than you seem to believe and usually varies from year to year anyways considering how inconsistent goalies usually are over their careers....

The truth is that you are usually way better off spending that extra 6M on a quality defender than on that top end goalie.
Price is no Hasek or Roy that can will his team to a cup basically on his own...
And there are basically 20-30 goalies a year that could win a cup if they are behind the right team and hitting a hot streak...

He also IMO is already pasts his prime and on one of the ugliest contracts in the league.
Bob is on the worst contract in the league and I wouldn't want Holtby, Fleury or Vasy at their respective caphits on my team either..
Also no thanks to paying Andersen more than 7M. Same for a lesser extent for Rask...

Again. Its like overpaying running backs in the NFL. You don't do it if you want to win...

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Here is the funny part... No habs fans proposed Price to the Avs and it's just a value thread and would you look at that.... how many Avs fans are showing interest in this thread? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:.

You guys can have the room. I'm off. Keep making a fool of yourselfs by devaluing goalie who has been one of the best for pretty much a decade now. He's 33 and done right? :laugh:

The best one is Price at 50% would be hard to move. That one is golden and that guy should be ashamed :laugh:

that premise is nonsense and you know it. The Habs won’t take 5.25mm annual cap hit to pay for Price to play for another team. If you did believe that, That’s you very loudly admitting his current contact is a very negative value asset if you believe Montreal was that desperate to move him. Hence this value thread is solved. His value at 10.5mm or even 9mm Over the next six seasons is negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad