Post-Game Talk: Price Hits 40 With Back to Back Shutouts!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You guys should keep in mind that back in 2009 it was sub-plausible for all three of Price, Subban, and Pacioretty to succeed this much.

Modern equivalent trade:
Gallagher, Beaulieu, Eller, McCarron and some first rounders for John Tavares.

Lecavalier was (incorrectly) perceived to be like how Tavares is now.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Based on that Gainey must've thought he was taking Sather to the cleaners only having to give up Higgins and a prospect for a #1C

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
No it's been the same report all along.

No it hasn't. At the time in 2008-2009, the names that were leaked were Plekanec, Higgins and Gorges. Gainey even confirms those names in the video posted a couple of pages back. In that video he blames Lawton for taking those names public to get a better deal.

Every year since Lawton has gotten fired new pieces get added and removed from the trade. One year it was Price that replaced Higgins. Then Subban replaced Gorges. And now last year Lawton conveniently choose all three of the Canadiens stars in Pacioretty, Subban and Price. Not a single one of those names were mentioned in 2008-2009. What's more is that Gainey confirmed the names at the time as well.

Lawton is full of himself.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No it hasn't. At the time in 2008-2009, the names that were leaked were Plekanec, Higgins and Gorges. Gainey even confirms those names in the video posted a couple of pages back. In that video he blames Lawton for taking those names public to get a better deal.

Every year since Lawton has gotten fired new pieces get added and removed from the trade. One year it was Price that replace Higgins. Then Subban replaced Gorges. And now last year Lawton conveniently choose all three of the Canadiens stars in Paciorwtty, Subban and Price. Not a single one of those names were mentioned in 2008-2009. What's more is that Gainey confirmed the names at the time as well.

Lawton is full of crap.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gainey-lightning/

Gorges, Pleks and Higgins were the return. Still not a good trade but nowhere near the disaster that Lawton keeps inflating it to be.

Moreover, at the time Lawton denied there was even a trade discussion: Lawton later told Sportsnet: “I’m not very happy about Bob Gainey’s comments because they’re completely false.

“There are 28 other GMs in the league, and I can assure you not one of them can confirm me shopping names around because it never happened.” Lawton added. “I don’t know what happened at the end of the year with that club, but I assure you it had nothing to do with the Tampa Bay Lightning.”

I don't believe anything out of this guy's mouth. The idea that Gainey would deal Price to start with just doesn't make any sense to me at all, esp when they had dealt away Huet for him to develop. No way this happened.

Last edited:

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.

Every year since Lawton has gotten fired new pieces get added and removed from the trade. One year it was Price that replaced Higgins. Then Subban replaced Gorges. And now last year Lawton conveniently choose all three of the Canadiens stars in Pacioretty, Subban and Price. Not a single one of those names were mentioned in 2008-2009. What's more is that Gainey confirmed the names at the time as well.

THIS!!!!!! Im sick and tired to see Price and Subban's name coming up. Gainey missed the boat on Gomez-McDonagh, but would have done a great deal getting Lecavalier at this time.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

Thanks, saved me the trouble.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Gainey trading Price also doesn't make any sense. He stood by him in 09 and was a very big supporter of him. If there was going to be a goalie in the Vinny offer it would be Halak.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Lawton is full of crap.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gainey-lightning/

Gorges, Pleks and Higgins were the return. Still not a good trade but nowhere near the disaster that Lawton keeps inflating it to be.

Well it's better than McDo + Higgins for Gomez ;)

Gainey did mistakes. But i believe he is an honest guy and i don't think he would lie like this. If he said he offered Plek+Higgins+Gorges for Lecavalier and they had a gentlemen's agreement i believe him more than the other clown.

And to be honest it would have been a good trade for TB. Gorges despite his flaws is a solid bottom pairing d man. Plekanec is a solid defensive center. I don't like Higgins but on a 3rd line he can help a team. 3 good depth players for a guy whose career is over imo.

Last edited:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
MarriedDistantHartebeest.gif

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
According to Lawton (now)... otherwise I haven't seen anything that contained his name. And Lawton (back then) denied any trade talks had taken place.

No, Subban was a piece widely discussed at the time that the trade nearly went down. I waa on the Canadiens official message board at the time. The trade was also discussed on Habs Inside Out.

Subban, Higgins, Plekanec, Gorges, 1st rounders.

Back in 2009, Subban was a prospect of intermediate quality. It only looks bad with hindsight.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
No, Subban was a piece widely discussed at the time that the trade nearly went down. I waa on the Canadiens official message board at the time. The trade was also discussed on Habs Inside Out.

Back in 2009, Subban was a prospect of intermediate quality. It only looks bad with hindsight.

I don't know what to believe after reading all that...some say one thing, rest say other

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011

No that looks terrible from the get go. Who trades that many players for a top 10 centre?

From a hockey standpoint, it is very rare to trade 4 roster players and 2 1sts, not mention Plekanec was clearly a 2nd line cetnre of the future. That trade makes Zero sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad