GDT: PRESEASON - Kraken @ Flames 7pm MT (4am in Finland) [On CalgaryFlames.com]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Good to see Coronato back quickly

I really like the idea of Pelletier with Backlund and Coleman (again), hopefully he can find enough chemistry there to keep getting that look into the season

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I keep thinking that Pelts won't be good enough to make the team but he'll be given a roster spot anyways because the Flames don't want to expose him to waivers.
Hopefully he plays well enough tonight to change my mind.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems like Pachal has the inside track for the #6D spot. He's played pretty well in the preseason.
I don't mind him really but do hope to see lots of rotation in the bottom of the roster this year. Still don't see a lot of use for Barrie.

Are we going to see Bahl at all before the regular season opens?
Hoping for big games out of Solo and Pelts. If Honzek wants to take back sole possession of preseason scoring leader that would be cool with me too. More chemistry with Klapka and Lomberg.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I keep thinking that Pelts won't be good enough to make the team but he'll be given a roster spot anyways because the Flames don't want to expose him to waivers.
Hopefully he plays well enough tonight to change my mind.
Keep in mind the organization is more familiar with Pelletier than many others, so we don't know what his "assignment" is this preseason. The preseason isn't just about playing the best, it's also about working on certain aspects of your game. For instance, if the coaching staff has asked Pelletier to focus on his defensive play and not worry about offense, he'd be playing a quieter and less noticeable game to the fans. We see this every year.

A good thing to remember and preseason is pure rookies like Honzek have to go balls out to show something. Veterans it's about timing and getting into game shape. The guys in the middle, they'll be asked to work on little things in their game. Like it's obvious Solovyov and Grushnikov have been working on being more physical.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Keep in mind the organization is more familiar with Pelletier than many others, so we don't know what his "assignment" is this preseason. The preseason isn't just about playing the best, it's also about working on certain aspects of your game. For instance, if the coaching staff has asked Pelletier to focus on his defensive play and not worry about offense, he'd be playing a quieter and less noticeable game to the fans. We see this every year.

A good thing to remember and preseason is pure rookies like Honzek have to go balls out to show something. Veterans it's about timing and getting into game shape. The guys in the middle, they'll be asked to work on little things in their game. Like it's obvious Solovyov and Grushnikov have been working on being more physical.
Hopefully that assignment will be to shoot the puck more.
I don't know about you but those 9 shots on goal in 13 games last year was pretty damn disappointing... to me anyways.

Ledge And Dairy

I don't know about you but those 9 shots on goal in 13 games last year was pretty damn disappointing... to me anyways.
I would rather he be a guaranteed defensively reliable forward than a Daniel Sprong any day of the week.

Also lets not pretend his 54 seconds vs the Rangers counted as a game. Hell I would hardly call his 4:55 vs Vegas a game

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
The fact his SOG/GP ratio didn't change much in the AHL post injury is more telling to me that SOG in a 4th line role with limited minutes and with linemates that are less likely to generate offensive opportunities.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

tonights game is on CF.com per the Flames gameday tweet a couple hours ago... but it might be on Amazon Prime some places? I saw someone ask about it on Reddit... so f***ed if I know.

happy @Kahvi ? :laugh:
Reads like 5 people trying out for spots. Honzek trying out for a top 6 spot that’ll likely be Zary’s, Coronato trying out for Mantha’s spot in the top 6, Pelletier trying out for likely his only spot in the top 9, Solovyov trying out for a spot next to Andersson, and Barrie trying out for a spot on the team (with the suggestion that Pachal has potentially locked dow the 3RD spot). Will be interesting to see how it goes, of the 3 forwards probably only 1 with a slim chance at 2 can reasonably take their spot with the group we have.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Things are starting to get real and the wheat is being separated from the chaf.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Vladar again starts tonight.

Some perspective on how well Honzek and Coronato are doing this preseason.

Screenshot_2024-09-30-18-45-06-089.jpg

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
This is game number 6 and wolf has only started one, unless he already has a spot locked up and its vlad and cooley battling for the other this seems weird to me.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Saw that Vancouver game got pretty chippy. Could see this one getting testy too. Firebirds have eliminated the Wranglers twice in a row from the Calder playoffs and those teams did not like each other.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Reads like 5 people trying out for spots. Honzek trying out for a top 6 spot that’ll likely be Zary’s, Coronato trying out for Mantha’s spot in the top 6, Pelletier trying out for likely his only spot in the top 9, Solovyov trying out for a spot next to Andersson, and Barrie trying out for a spot on the team (with the suggestion that Pachal has potentially locked dow the 3RD spot). Will be interesting to see how it goes, of the 3 forwards probably only 1 with a slim chance at 2 can reasonably take their spot with the group we have.
Not to me. It reads like a reward to Honzek for a great camp before they send him to the Wranglers. Coronato is just trying to prove he belongs in the top 9, Pelts and Solo on the roster, Barrie a contract in general and Morton/Klapka spots on the roster or to be first recalls.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This is game number 6 and wolf has only started one, unless he already has a spot locked up and its vlad and cooley battling for the other this seems weird to me.
I honestly don't think they have any idea what they want to do with the three goalies right now.
  • Keep Vladar and Wolf with the Flames and expose Cooley to waivers
  • Keep Vladar and Cooley with the Flames and send Wolf down
  • Keep Wolf and Cooley with the Flames and expose Vladar to waivers

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Lombo you can do that now? What have they been teaching you in FLA
was a hell of a pass.
He was super raw when we initially signed him... he had lost time from a college suspension for fighting off0ice

Wolf started the Last Kraken game and the one in Abbotsford against the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad