GDT: Preseason GM04| Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames | Sat. Sep 28th | 6pm PST | SNP | It’s On TV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Raty - Stay
Kudryavtsev - Stay
Freidman - Stay
Felton - Stay
PDG - Stay

Juulsen - Waive
Forbort - Waive
Wolanin - Waive
Aman - Waive
Smith - Waive
Blais - release from PTO, reassigned
Patera - Waive

Bains - reassign
Lekkerimaki - reassign
Karlsson - reassign
Sasson - reassign
D-Petey - reassign
Young - reassign
Mueller - reassign
Klimovich - reassign
Nielsen - reassign
Tolopilo - reassign
Hirose - reassign
McWard - reassign

ATP id be looking through the waiver bin and see if we can pick up a depth defenseman, particularly in the later stages of pre season as usually the better ones are available after going through the last cuts on their team. Wolanin, Forbort, and Juulsen have been absolute garbage (Wolanin has disappointed me as I thought he could challenge for a spot) and there really isn’t any sort of good reason as to why they should stay.

Aman needs to be dumped. He’s “reliable” because he doesn’t do anything. Aman tonight seemed like he only had about 3-4 actual touches with the puck.

Next phase would be to evaluate Hoglander and Suter. Both could serve as valuable trade pieces. Joshua will have a role when he returns, and Raty has so far demonstrated far more as a reliable 3C than Suter. Blueger recently being reupped guarantees he’s not going anytime soon and nor should he.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can’t see how the team can justify keeping Aman over Raty with a straight face. Raty just looks like an NHL player right now. Outside of Garland was our best player tonight.

EP2 should get cut now but had a better game to end his preseason on a better note.

Mueller was surprisingly involved offensively and made a good impression.

Lekkerimaki scored but was again pretty quiet. Same with Sasson.

Nielsen sucks. NHL contract was a mistake.

Blais’ legs are just gone. Watching him track the play back is painful. If he finds something in Abbotsford he can be signed later but right now there’s no way.

Alriksson needed to provide more physicality to respond to Calgary. Too timid.

Hopefully Hirose is ok but it looks again like he simply can’t handle the physicality of pro hockey.

Silovs’ first start was confidence-inspiring. This one was not. Needs to do better tracking point shots.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Raty could be looking good right now because we are still at AHL speed. Once the skating ramps up in the regular season, we'll see if he has actually improved. Same with Lekk (imo he will be there opening night).

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I can’t see how the team can justify keeping Aman over Raty with a straight face. Raty just looks like an NHL player right now. Outside of Garland was our best player tonight.

EP2 should get cut now but had a better game to end his preseason on a better note.

Blais’ legs are just gone. Watching him track the play back is painful. If he finds something in Abbotsford he can be signed later but right now there’s no way.

Hopefully Hirose is ok but it looks again like he simply can’t handle the physicality of pro hockey.

Silovs’ first start was confidence-inspiring. This one was not. Needs to do better tracking point shots.
Nailed everything

Reactions: HighAndTight

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

If Joshua is out, who's in ahead of Lekk? This was a guy that (reportedly) was going in for Boeser during the playoffs. He's made the team imo.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't see Lekk starting in the NHL. Seems unnecessary to rush him in this way. He has NHL skill and IQ but needs work everywhere else including body maturity.

PDG and Aman will stay up until Blueger and Joshua are ready, I presume.
I think Lekk is going to go the the A to work on his strength. Raty is here to stay, at least until Joshua comes back. The opening lineup should probably look like.

Heinen Miller Boeser
Debrusk Petey Sprong
Suter Raty Garland
Hog Bluegar Sherwood

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Joshua is out, who's in ahead of Lekk? This was a guy that (reportedly) was going in for Boeser during the playoffs. He's made the team imo.

If he’s made the team it was pre-determined 2014 Jake Virtanen style because to me he doesn’t look remotely ready.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
If he’s made the team it was pre-determined 2014 Jake Virtanen style because to me he doesn’t look remotely ready.

Not remotely ready ? Really? OK. we have a huge difference of opinion here. He's plating mistake free hockey so far, as far as I can tell, and he can snipe goals. good combination.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks got by last season with a third-fourth line center duo of Blueger and Suter, with Aman occasionally sprinkled in. It was 'adequate' but barely.

At this point there's no way Raty isn't an upgrade on all three guys. And Sasson isn't far behind. A changing of the guard at the depth center position is clearly at hand.

Canucks went basically with an AHL blueline tonight, so the result was pretty predictable. It was obvious the Flames strategy was just to throw pucks at the net and then outbattle the Canucks green defense and take away the eyes of the goaltender. Obviously worked. But only because guys like Hirose, EP2, Juulsen and Friedman lost positioning and puck battles in front.

Long shots leaking through Silovs is an ongoing concern. At times he just seems to have real trouble tracking pucks. I know Tolopilo isn't getting much love these days, but can't really figure it out. He's looks so huge and intimidating in the net and his side to side movement is economical and surprisingly good. Really hope he gets the bulk of the starts in Abbotsford this season, so the Canucks can really figure what they have.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Ty Mueller has been surprisingly good. He’s not going to make the team, but colour me surprised.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not remotely ready ? Really? OK. we have a huge difference of opinion here. He's plating mistake free hockey so far, as far as I can tell, and he can snipe goals. good combination.

Outside of the first game when he had scads of PP time he wouldn’t be getting in a full-roster game he’s generated very little at ES and his size/strength in board battles is non-existent and although he’s doing decently for his age defensively he is not a good defensive player.

To me it shouldn’t even be a discussion that he needs to go to Abbotsford and show he can light up that level right now.

Reactions: Peen

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Main takeaways:
- Raty is awesome and can’t believe he’s still 21. He needs to play the remaining games for a final look
- Juulsen can’t be relied on. I’d just cut him and run Friedman
- Silovs needs to dial in the long range floaters
- Send Lekk down. Seen enough in a good way - he needs a little time to dominate in the AHL. Call up worthy
- I have a feeling we’re going to love Desharnais and absolutely hate Forbort in every GDT
- Sprong can really rush the puck. Didn’t expect that.
- I’d waive Aman and keep PDG up
- I hate preseason

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Outside of the first game when he had scads of PP time he wouldn’t be getting in a full-roster game he’s generated very little at ES and his size/strength in board battles is non-existent and although he’s doing decently for his age defensively he is not a good defensive player.

To me it shouldn’t even be a discussion that he needs to go to Abbotsford and show he can light up that level right now.
The coaching and management group are not the "Jake Virtanen prederminined spot" type, so if he makes the team opening night, it is because he deserves to be there.

Defensively, he is a good forehead ker, and he is good at covering passing lanes, and he doesn't panic with the puck. he's ready.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Mccann had that good preseason but was obviously still raw and not ready. Same with Lekerrimaki. No need to rush him yet. Even if its just a couple more months wait

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Mccann had that good preseason but was obviously still raw and not ready. Same with Lekerrimaki. No need to rush him yet. Even if its just a couple more months wait
oh man. the guy does not look raw at all. he showing a lot of maturity out there. you have to realize this was a 19 year old that was a top 5 player in the SHL last year. this is not McCann

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The coaching and management group are not the "Jake Virtanen prederminined spot" type, so if he makes the team opening night, it is because he deserves to be there.

Defensively, he is a good forehead ker, and he is good at covering passing lanes, and he doesn't panic with the puck. he's ready.

He’s not ready. He’s a skill player who is not generating ES offense and is below-average off the puck.

He’s done some good things this preseason but he looks the definition of ‘needs a year in the AHL’.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not all that bad considering the line up but got tied up in their end too much like inferior teams do. Makes you appreciate players like Hughes.

Biggest fear coming out of the game was the Silovs getting beat by high point shots too much. That happened some in the playoffs last year and teams are going to try to exploit this. He has to find ways of seeing around the screens. Can't play at this level if you can't. Silovs was not good in this game.

Also not good were Pettersson or Lekkermaki. Pettersson couldn't get the puck out his zone to save his life and was ponderous around his net. Little better on the PK in the third but he clearly is not ready for this level. Will likely struggle at the AHL level as well. Be a learning year for this player.

Lekkermaki's lack of size a problem in this game. Was moved off the puck too easily and mostly chasing the play. Really needs to improve play along the boards in his end. Also was leaving his zone too quickly trying to seagull for chances. Another who will need more time

Good aspect of the game for the Canucks was play of Raty. Made himself central in the play and was unlucky not to a score more goals. Starting to look like he could survive at the NHL level. I've always believed he was a center and said that many times last year on the Abbotsford thread. Putting him on the wing negates the best parts of his play. IMO his most important skill is his ability to read the situation and take good angles offensively and defensively. Makes up for some skating flaws. Got to be patient with this player but I think the more he plays at this level the better he will get. He is having a good pre season.

Game allowed team to give some final opportunites to some players. Most of them struggled.

Mueller showed some speed but zero finish and struggled trying to get puck out of his end.

Alriksson needs to learn how to use size better and is clearly not good enough in his zone or in transition

Blais had some decent moments but should not be getting a contract. Good in a way since others likely won't sign him and he will help Abby.

Hirose - obvious now he can't handle size at the pro level. Not sure he will help Abby much. Should go to Europe IMO.

Neilson - very poor. Been trending badly for awhile.

Sasson - was again not bad in this game but Raty is firmly ahead of him now. There just no room for him. Will be a mainstay on the farm and still some future for him. Be, in the end, one of the final cuts.

Tolopilo - well didn't allow a goal but likely gets no more games with Vancouver

Of the vets

Garland, Soucy and, to a lesser extent, Hoglander were good.

Juulsen - looks worse than last year. Doubt he is NHL level. Likely will stay as depth player but based on this game shouldn't.

Friedman - showed some quickness coming ot of his end and was probably the best Canuck d-man in the offensive zone. Close call on whether he makes the team

Desharnais - had a tough start but overall not bad. Used his size to push back against Calgary's aggressiveness and showed some speed in bringing the puck out of his zone. To me, his toughness helped keep the Canucks in the game. Has more quickness and better range than I thought. Could be very effective with the right partner and getting more limited minutes. Looks like the kind of player that has to play himself into the game. Once he does he can begin to assert himself in his end. Thought he was a little Zadorov-lite in this game.

Aman - real bubble situation. Could be cut. Nothing really happening here.

These teams don't t seem to like each other and games between them might get a little ugly this year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I keep waiting or that 'ah-ah' moment when Lekkerimaki proves he's not ready for the NHL. Problem is, I haven't seen it yet. He's surprisingly effective along the wall, despite his size. And he comes up with one or two slick passes every game to spring somebody in the neutral zone. And then there's that 'shot'. It's a threat on every PP he's on.

I know prevailing wisdom is that he's shipped out to the AHL. But I worry about Lekkerimaki in the AHL. Undoubtedly he'll own the puck a lot and will try and do too much; and soon will have a target strapped on his back. I'm always concerned about skilled forwards getting hurt at the expense of some of the knuckle-draggers in that league.

Give him nine games or so in the NHL regular season to really see where he's at. If he's not ready, it'll quickly be apparent.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
outside of as an early season injury replacement, Lekkerimaki is probably best served spending his season in the AHL. Even then I would be more inclined to lean on a journeymen type like Di Giuseppe to replace Joshua so as to avoid bouncing Lekkerimaki around.

Raty I think has earned himself a genuine roster spot. Aside from just looking like an NHLer, he has showed utility as a bottom 6 center , especially if he can win right side draws.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
I half watched the game as I was busy but wasn't Silovs straight-up screened by the opposition or his own team on those point shots? I agree with most of your guys takes on the other players but how do you make those saves if you can't even see the shot? Not everyone has chaos giraffe neck mobility.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Not all that bad considering the line up but got tied up in their end too much like inferior teams do. Makes you appreciate players like Hughes.

Biggest fear coming out of the game was the Silovs getting beat by high point shots too much. That happened some in the playoffs last year and teams are going to try to exploit this. He has to find ways of seeing around the screens. Can't play at this level if you can't. Silovs was not good in this game.

Also not good were Pettersson or Lekkermaki. Pettersson couldn't get the puck out his zone to save his life and was ponderous around his net. Little better on the PK in the third but he clearly is not ready for this level. Will likely struggle at the AHL level as well. Be a learning year for this player.

Lekkermaki's lack of size a problem in this game. Was moved off the puck too easily and mostly chasing the play. Really needs to improve play along the boards in his end. Also was leaving his zone too quickly trying to seagull for chances. Another who will need more time

Good aspect of the game for the Canucks was play of Raty. Made himself central in the play and was unlucky not to a score more goals. Starting to look like he could survive at the NHL level. I've always believed he was a center and said that many times last year on the Abbotsford thread. Putting him on the wing negates the best parts of his play. IMO his most important skill is his ability to read the situation and take good angles offensively and defensively. Makes up for some skating flaws. Got to be patient with this player but I think the more he plays at this level the better he will get. He is having a good pre season.

Game allowed team to give some final opportunites to some players. Most of them struggled.

Mueller showed some speed but zero finish and struggled trying to get puck out of his end.

Alriksson needs to learn how to use size better and is clearly not good enough in his zone or in transition

Blais had some decent moments but should not be getting a contract. Good in a way since others likely won't sign him and he will help Abby.

Hirose - obvious now he can't handle size at the pro level. Not sure he will help Abby much. Should go to Europe IMO.

Neilson - very poor. Been trending badly for awhile.

Sasson - was again not bad in this game but Raty is firmly ahead of him now. There just no room for him. Will be a mainstay on the farm and still some future for him. Be, in the end, one of the final cuts.

Tolopilo - well didn't allow a goal but likely gets no more games with Vancouver

Of the vets

Garland, Soucy and, to a lesser extent, Hoglander were good.

Juulsen - looks worse than last year. Doubt he is NHL level. Likely will stay as depth player but based on this game shouldn't.

Friedman - showed some quickness coming ot of his end and was probably the best Canuck d-man in the offensive zone. Close call on whether he makes the team

Desharnais - had a tough start but overall not bad. Used his size to push back against Calgary's aggressiveness and showed some speed in bringing the puck out of his zone. To me, his toughness helped keep the Canucks in the game. Has more quickness and better range than I thought. Could be very effective with the right partner and getting more limited minutes. Looks like the kind of player that has to play himself into the game. Once he does he can begin to assert himself in his end. Thought he was a little Zadorov-lite in this game.

Aman - real bubble situation. Could be cut. Nothing really happening here.

These teams don't t seem to like each other and games between them might get a little ugly this year.
Starting to see this with every team we play - Seattle, Calgary, Edmonton. I like the divisional rivalries, but I have a feeling all teams are going to play us much, much harder in general this year. I’m glad Allvin/JR continue to prioritize team speed and toughness. Desharnais and Sherwood are going to be key players in these games.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
The thing with Lekkerimaki is that, as young players often do wheen in the exhibition season, he could easily compromise other aspects of the game in order to prove what a great offensive talent he is, but he is not doing that. He is being responsible. That shows a certain level of maturity. He's a super smart player that will be an effective 200 foot player. if he doesn't make the opening night roster, he is the first call up. I'm not sure why MS has this take that he is not even close. that's not the case at all.

Reactions: sting101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad