GDT: Preseason Games 2 & 3, Oilers Flames in a Double header beer leaguer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I listened to a fair chunk of the game in Edmonton on the Radio.

I got a chuckle at how the game turned out. Even in pre-season they lost in Oiler fashion.
Lots of chances generated and the Oilers made a mess of them. Coolie played great but I'm guessing if the game was stat tracked (do they stat track pre-season?) the oilers would once again have scored well below their expected scoring rate.

I kept hearing Noah Philp and Lavoie's names getting robbed by Coolie. They'll fit right in with this team :P

No team gets goalie'd as often as the Oilers. Pre-Season, Regular Season, Playoffs. The Oilers are so much fun to watch generate scoring chances etc. Then so frustrating to watch them butcher a good chunk of them. I feel when the Oilers are on their game.. their inability to finish is the only thing that stops them.
if you watched the game you would that players of both teams were playing at 50% intensity and had less compete than an all star game. McDavid turned the jets a few times but only when there wasn't around him. I wouldn't read anything into this.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Well that happened. I know it’s just preseason but I hope that shows the guys that no one will lie down for them this season. Every team in the league will be gunning for us so I hope they take notice and make sure they are ready when that puck drops on October 8th
What are you talking about lol lol lol they know nobody will lie down for them lol this was the most meaningless preseason game ever for the oilers. It means absolutely nothing other than going for a skate and don't get injured. Should only be 4 preseason games and regulars only play 1 game .

if you watched the game you would that players of both teams were playing at 50% intensity and had less compete than an all star game. McDavid turned the jets a few times but only when there wasn't around him. I wouldn't read anything into this.
I should hope so because if both played at full intensity oilers cream the shames

Reactions: Oilslick941611

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
For me it's about home ice. The Oilers would have won the Cup if they had home ice, I can't conceive a way that they would have dumped both Game 1 and 2 at home or Game 7 in the Final. Quite literally lost the Cup due to how they chose to start the season last year.

I think an important thing for this team to get over the hump and win it is to not be a circus, just once. Try and win the President's Trophy, or at least get close, and they will put themselves in the strongest position to win the Cup without the typical drama that we have around here. Home ice in the playoffs is a massive advantage for this team, and I hope they don't forego it again based on nothing other than unpreparedness and stupidity.
I just hope they don’t continue this narrative about learning lessons and all that nonsense. They should be able to figure it all out by now.

To the bolded, I’ll believe when I see it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I listened to a fair chunk of the game in Edmonton on the Radio.

I got a chuckle at how the game turned out. Even in pre-season they lost in Oiler fashion.
Lots of chances generated and the Oilers made a mess of them. Coolie played great but I'm guessing if the game was stat tracked (do they stat track pre-season?) the oilers would once again have scored well below their expected scoring rate.

I kept hearing Noah Philp and Lavoie's names getting robbed by Coolie. They'll fit right in with this team :P

No team gets goalie'd as often as the Oilers. Pre-Season, Regular Season, Playoffs. The Oilers are so much fun to watch generate scoring chances etc. Then so frustrating to watch them butcher a good chunk of them. I feel when the Oilers are on their game.. their inability to finish is the only thing that stops them.

Cooley made a handful of massive saves that were objectively great, but the Oilers were definitely doing all in their power to not cash on a bunch of the other looks they had.

I mentioned it in the game day thread, but sometimes this team gets in a mode where the lack of finish is so insane that it's almost like they're trying not to score deliberately. Great looks shot wide, into pads, double clutching then missing, passing off looks, etc. Lots of overthinking and gripping the stick too tight.

It was about the lowest intensity pre-season game possible, so I won't read into it at all as an indicator for the season (yet), but it certainly looked a lot like our experience last year where we were something like 1st in expected goals, but 32nd in finishing (or something like that).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Watched the game in Calgary, some of it. Nice goal by Hoffman. He looked dangerous on PP. Arviddson skates around a lot but at this age getting nothing done. He gives the appearance of producing lots of chances but not really dangerous chances. Conversely Savoie was better on PP and throwing passes around beautifully. On one play Oilers had changed lines, Savoie only one on ice but he gains zone anyway and dekes a couple flames holding onto puck. He even get a reaction from the Flames crowd.

Oilers sure weren't good in either of these games. That said Flames seem to be dressing their entire starting lineup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
For me it's about home ice. The Oilers would have won the Cup if they had home ice, I can't conceive a way that they would have dumped both Game 1 and 2 at home or Game 7 in the Final. Quite literally lost the Cup due to how they chose to start the season last year.

I think an important thing for this team to get over the hump and win it is to not be a circus, just once. Try and win the President's Trophy, or at least get close, and they will put themselves in the strongest position to win the Cup without the typical drama that we have around here. Home ice in the playoffs is a massive advantage for this team, and I hope they don't forego it again based on nothing other than unpreparedness and stupidity.
Not sure we ever see this be a first place team. Trouble is after last season the club learns different things. That they could ditch a segment of season and still go all the way. This isn't a young enough group to play 82 games hard. Just not configured that way. Especially with injuries and Kane and Nurse and who knows who else out I don't know the team will bring enough to finish first. Doesn't seem like its a priority to them. If it was going to happen I think it would've by now.

In anycase theres potential reasons why the club could struggle to stake out a first place finish.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
So far, our D depth looks atrocious and our bottom 6 looks noticeably older and slower. If this org had balls, ryan and perry would never see ice time, but somehow our seasoned vets need corey perry for locker room stability. I expect RL and podzilla to get the shaft as that has been the mantra of this organization forever: Speed and youth doesn't matter and old useless team leaders are more important

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
For the game in Edmonton, did any of the younger or bubble players stand out in a good way?

Didn’t get to watch because I refuse to pay for Oilers+

Was there live. Philp and Lavoie stood out great. Lavoie especially had multiple scoring chances but Cooley stoned them all. Lavoie is doing well enough to earn a roster spot imo. Philp skating has improved tremendously. Could see him pushing for a 4C spot in the upcoming season since Ryan's best days especially skating wise is behind him.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not sure we ever see this be a first place team. Trouble is after last season the club learns different things. That they could ditch a segment of season and still go all the way. This isn't a young enough group to play 82 games hard. Just not configured that way. Especially with injuries and Kane and Nurse and who knows who else out I don't know the team will bring enough to finish first. Doesn't seem like its a priority to them. If it was going to happen I think it would've by now.

In anycase theres potential reasons why the club could struggle to stake out a first place finish.

I just want the team to play to their real potential, whatever that may be, for the whole season. There will be losses and tough stretches, that happens to even the best, but I don't want to see them completely crater again for a portion of the season like they do every year.

2021-22 - Disintegrated in December and it required a coaching change to wake them up

22-23 - Didn't crater per se, but were very, very mediocre until about January. On January 1 they were in the last playoff spot, but only by a point and 10 points out of the division lead.

23-24 - Don't need to go into much explanation here.

If the Oilers are truly say a 2nd place team in the Division or Conference - play like it for 82 games. Don't lose 8 of 10 at some point, then win 10 of 11 at some other point to even it out. Just want them to play adult, mature hockey without the wild swings. Just win between 3/5 and 4/5 games in each 5 game segment on average and they'll be where they need to be without having to look over their shoulder wondering if they'll blow up again.

I think an important part of taking the next step is having a group that goes out on the ice and knows exactly what they're going to bring and does it. The uncertainty and inconsistency ran into the playoffs last year as well and they won almost in spite of it. In each of the Vancouver, Dallas, and Florida series they had to basically shit their pants before they woke up and played how they were capable of later in the series. I want to see this go away and see them dictate to teams rather than dip their toe in the water and get punched in the mouth before they wake up and play their game.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
When do AHL camps start?

I'd have probably made a few more cuts after last night, tbh. But I guess if the AHL camps aren't quite under way it makes sense.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I just want the team to play to their real potential, whatever that may be, for the whole season. There will be losses and tough stretches, that happens to even the best, but I don't want to see them completely crater again for a portion of the season like they do every year.

2021-22 - Disintegrated in December and it required a coaching change to wake them up

22-23 - Didn't crater per se, but were very, very mediocre until about January. On January 1 they were in the last playoff spot, but only by a point and 10 points out of the division lead.

23-24 - Don't need to go into much explanation here.

If the Oilers are truly say a 2nd place team in the Division or Conference - play like it for 82 games. Don't lose 8 of 10 at some point, then win 10 of 11 at some other point to even it out. Just want them to play adult, mature hockey without the wild swings. Just win between 3/5 and 4/5 games in each 5 game segment on average and they'll be where they need to be without having to look over their shoulder wondering if they'll blow up again.

I think an important part of taking the next step is having a group that goes out on the ice and knows exactly what they're going to bring and does it. The uncertainty and inconsistency ran into the playoffs last year as well and they won almost in spite of it. In each of the Vancouver, Dallas, and Florida series they had to basically shit their pants before they woke up and played how they were capable of later in the series. I want to see this go away and see them dictate to teams rather than dip their toe in the water and get punched in the mouth before they wake up and play their game.
You're not wrong, and I've dispelled the importance of finishing first but its hard to argue that the team would've been better served by being at least first in division. I don't know that they get presidents trophy ever. Just don't see that happening. Maybe a Pacific Division title this year.

Gotta mention the travel thing too. Oilers travel a lot being where they are geographically. It makes it all harder during the long grind of a season. Inevitably some nights the jump isn't there. For this team as you mention we've seen whole weeks or month where the jump isn't there.

Is Hoffman going to make the team?
Sweet shot on the goal anyhow. Few others score that goal. Gets a pass and before you know it the puck is in the net. No dusting off, lightning release and goalie had no chance. On shot alone this guy has use here.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
way too early to tell. Too many people in camp that wont be making the team. JR and AHL guys need to be culled to be able to take a good long look at him
Depends on what happens with Kane, if they want to sneak him on LTIR once the league year starts, they could send Hoffman to Bakersfield on a tryout contract (paper transaction) then sign him to a cheap one year deal the day after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad