GDT: Preseason Game 8, Oilers at Canucks in the final (thank God) beer leager. Sportsnet 8 PM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not sold on the theory that our D is worse. I would say at the very least the same and i dare say slightly better. Although preseason stats don't suggest that.
The d is worse. Potential to be better if Emberson can be better than Ceci and Nurse gets better. But as of right now it’s worse than it was going into the playoffs

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Congrats Vancouver
GZGatJ_WIAAn3gX.jpeg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Meh … easily satisfied I guess. Emberson did not stand out in a positive way to me at all. Had one sequence early in the third where he botched a routine clear leading to several Canuck chances on goal while he stood on the wrong side of his man desperately reaching in with his stick.

Yes, this team has be looking for any tiny positives :) I missed most of the 3rd, so just gonna wrap myself up in this analytics page on naturalstattrick and rock myself to sleep.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
I'm not sold on the theory that our D is worse. I would say at the very least the same and i dare say slightly better. Although preseason stats don't suggest that.
We are better defensively, it will show in regular season. People commenting here saying our defense is worse clearly know nothing about hockey and are new to the country and the game lol

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The d is worse. Potential to be better if Emberson can be better than Ceci and Nurse gets better. But as of right now it’s worse than it was going into the playoffs
Explain how it's worse, Ceci is addition by subtraction. I do miss Vinny. Needed a better option for 3rd pairing RD.

Reactions: McDoused

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Explain how it's worse, Ceci is addition by subtraction. I do miss Vinny. Needed a better option for 3rd pairing RD.
It’s not addition by subtraction if your replacement isn’t as good as you were. Emberson is still very unknown and Josh Brown is a worse Desharnais.

If Emberson can play better than Ceci we good, but that’s still an IF.

Donnys

Jun 1, 2018
Hopefully now the real season is starting they step it up. But I suppose if they crap the bed for the first half of the season like they usually do it might help with the Bouchard contract.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
It’s not addition by subtraction if your replacement isn’t as good as you were. Emberson is still very unknown and Josh Brown is a worse Desharnais.

If Emberson can play better than Ceci we good, but that’s still an IF.
Ceci was a f***ing puck whiffing plug last year and arguably our worst D man. Him being gone can only improve the D. I want a bonafide 2nd pairing RD. If we get that and Ty slides down then it gets considerably better. There is no way it's worse.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So how do we feel the new faces looked tonight?

Arvidsson ok
Skinner meh
Stecher mediocre
Emberson meh
Podkolzin ok

Honestly Philp might have looked the best out of all the new faces and he's never played a game in the NHL.

Reactions: harpoon

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Apparently you f***ing do. jumping in between a convo that didn't involve you. He's gaaabage, I know it burns but it's the truth. Watch this spirit squad take this team to the finals again and brobeans paid $4.5 mil getting careened into end boards with his head down.
wishing injury on a player... be proud of yourself

and Kulak does suck poo-poo

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
So how do we feel the new faces looked tonight?

Arvidsson ok
Skinner meh
Stecher mediocre
Emberson meh
Podkolzin ok

Honestly Philp might have looked the best out of all the new faces and he's never played a game in the NHL.
Agree with that assessment. That being said everyone looks rusty even the big boys. I like Emberson more than some of you I think. His passing is clumsy but obviously the team is a bit disjointed atm. He skates well and positionally looked solid.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yes, this team has be looking for any tiny positives :) I missed most of the 3rd, so just gonna wrap myself up in this analytics page on naturalstattrick and rock myself to sleep.
To clarify … I’m not necessarily down on Emberson. I just don’t see him as a second pair answer on a team hoping to compete for the SC. I did think Nurse played well for the most part.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To clarify … I’m not necessarily down on Emberson. I just don’t see him as a second pair answer on a team hoping to compete for the SC. I did think Nurse played well for the most part.
Emberson was never meant to be the answer. He is a stop gap till we find the answer by the deadline a stop gap as we gain cap room so we don’t have to use our LTIR till we see how Kane is recovering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad