GDT: Preseason Game #7, CGY @ WPG 6pm MT TSN3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which youngster(s) should/will be in the opening night lineup? pick one or two

• Total voters

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I have to wonder what Huska thinks Wolf is going to learn from this game playing behind a defense that would be lucky to get a 3rd pairing spot on most capable teams? Would it have been so bad to let Weegar and Andersson play?

Some nights the defense are going to be pylons. It's good to see how he reacts to it.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not really a banner night for anyone. Wolf beat cleanly several times now.

Maybe but HB did a great job of hanging Wolf out to dry on the 2nd goal

Ya I dunno what he was doing there, but Tinordi was the guy that let it go right through him to an open man in front. His 11th year pro partner has been by far the worst player on the ice in this game.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes I'm sure Wolf will use tonight's game as a teaching moment and the lessons learned will be extremely helpful in his progress towards a career as an NHL goalie. <sarcasm>

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Coronato is playing himself on to the Wranglers. Pelts was better tonight but still comes up short. No matter how well BRZ plays he isn't cracking the d corp lineup. Flames mgmt made that decision quite some time ago.. no matter how crappy our defence is.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Not really a banner night for anyone. Wolf beat cleanly several times now.

Ya I dunno what he was doing there, but Tinordi was the guy that let it go right through him to an open man in front. His 11th year pro partner has been by far the worst player on the ice in this game.
Tinordi is straight trash. Him still being in the mix is one of the reasons I was so pissed about Solo. Barrie though, it's different, he hasn't played that poorly and I would still rather see him in the top 4 in a pinch or pressbox than Brzust. I like HB, but I don't know why @Tkachuk Norris is complaining about Barrie when the RD of the top 6 is essentially set with Ras, Miro and Pachal. Barrie is a much better option than HB to sit in the press box, play on his offside, or be thrown to the wolves in the top 4 if it comes to that.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
No Honzo=auto loss

Duehr, Schwindt, Zary good
Pelts maybe a bit better
Didn't see much from anyone else. Hunt is ok at skating around fast I guess. Was probably pretty close to the roster the Jets are going to be icing and they won their division last year so not an unexpected result whatsoever.

Tinordi is straight trash. Him still being in the mix is one of the reasons I was so pissed about Solo. Barrie though, it's different, he hasn't played that poorly and I would still rather see him in the top 4 in a pinch or pressbox than Brzust. I like HB, but I don't know why @Tkachuk Norris is complaining about Barrie when the RD of the top 6 is essentially set with Ras, Miro and Pachal. Barrie is a much better option than HB to sit in the press box, play on his offside, or be thrown to the wolves in the top 4 if it comes to that.

I wouldn't throw a fit if Barrie is signed but I would just rather the Flames not. He's at the roller coaster drop of his aging curve. Usually you want vets that can instill good habits and calm things down defensively for their young teammates. Barrie is not that, he's soft, he's small, he's slow and he's always been a circus in his own zone. Hanley or Tinordi can be the designated popcorn eater.

Great locker room guy from what I've heard but it reads more like the head coach doing his old buddy a favor rather than him actually earning a spot in this PTO with his play or him fitting a real need for the roster. It's just another contract standing in the way of our young D for a callup.

Reactions: Pomee

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't throw a fit if Barrie is signed but I would just rather the Flames not. He's at the roller coaster drop of his aging curve. Usually you want vets that can instill good habits and calm things down defensively for their young teammates. Barrie is not that, he's soft, he's small, he's slow and he's always been a circus in his own zone. Hanley or Tinordi can be the designated popcorn eater.

Great locker room guy from what I've heard but it reads more like the head coach doing his old buddy a favor rather than him actually earning a spot in this PTO with his play or fitting a real need for the roster. It's just another contract standing in the way of our young D for a callup.
I don't care if Barrie is signed one way or the other, but I think there is more to learn from Barrie than Hanley or Tinordi, because of his experience and work ethic. Being a smaller player on an NHL blueline is also a very difficult task and ironically would give him perspective on the physical game because he would have had a lot of forwards trying to destroy him, and he'd know how players like himself were able to elude contact.

I didn't know this but on the Jets feed they talked about how when Barrie was drafted his dad was one of the owners of the Lightning and despite his dad wanting to draft him, he said no and that he wanted to make it on his own.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Last season, I was not a fan of Wolf and was very vocal about my concerns relying on him being our future no 1.

Of course it's a preseason, but so far Cooley seems to earn the job.

Wolf should be sent down to AHL, not sure if this move does anything to his development but he doesn't strike me as an NHL-er, defo not a future no 1.

No Honzo=auto loss

Duehr, Schwindt, Zary good
Pelts maybe a bit better
Didn't see much from anyone else. Hunt is ok at skating around fast I guess. Was probably pretty close to the roster the Jets are going to be icing and they won their division last year so not an unexpected result whatsoever.

Great locker room guy from what I've heard but it reads more like the head coach doing his old buddy a favor rather than him actually earning a spot in this PTO with his play or him fitting a real need for the roster. It's just another contract standing in the way of our young D for a callup.
"Pelts maybe a bit better"..

Well this doesn't look promising and as expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad