GDT: Preseason game 6: Sharks @ Vegas 7:00pm stream on sharks.nhl.com

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don’t really agree with that team building philosophy, though. I think our top 3 lines should be able to score.

Again, on a purely morale level, where Warsofsky preaches competition and drive and the desire to win, not putting Gushchin into the lineup after this game undercuts his entire messaging.

Give him a few games and see what he can do, if it’s not working, send him down.
We don't have enough good offensive players for our top 3 lines to be able to score, even with Gushchin in there. We're also not trying to build a contending team this season. Our main concern should be providing Celebrini and Smith the best possible opportunity to flourish.

Not having Gushchin on the opening night roster doesn't undercut anything. Everyone knows it's a business and these decisions are fundamentally determined by contracts and waiver status.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I also think Thompson makes the team. He has to be better than one of the RD we have at carrying thr puck. Though he did have a rough 2nd?
I think Cagnoni should be the guy since he’d help the power play. If Thompson took Thrun’s spot, I wouldn’t be upset but Thompson should fill in anytime Ceci, Rutta, or Benning get injured which is guaranteed to happen.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I think Cagnoni should be the guy since he’d help the power play. If Thompson took Thrun’s spot, I wouldn’t be upset but Thompson should fill in anytime Ceci, Rutta, or Benning get injured which is guaranteed to happen.

Cagnoni is almost certainly going to get some AHL time

MackAttack71

May 10, 2024
Germany
A win against these a...s from the vee gee kays is never bad :D
I don't like this guy with this ugly golden jersey wearing #48 anymore. This is just a feeling, but it is what it is

Reactions: slocal

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I think I will alwalys have a soft spot for Hertl.
As a Sharks fan I'm in the middle with this. I really appreciate his time in SJ, but I felt a little annoyed by how happy he was to join a rival team. I'm aware it's immature to get emotional over business/career decisions but I would have rooted more for him in another jersey.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Eklund - Celebrini - Toffoli
Gushchin - Granlund - Smith
Goodrow - Wennberg - Zetterlund
Grundstrom - Sturm - Kunin
Dellandrea, Kostin/G Smith/Cardwell (but probably Kostin)
I can get behind this, I might flip Smith and Zetterlund but it's probably for the best to keep Smith in the top 6 as long as he can keep up

Danil Gushchin on the ice, so quick,
In teal and black, his moves are slick.
Five assists, he plays with grace,
Setting the pace in every race.

Against the Knights, in Vegas' glare,
He finds the open lane with care.
Puck to stick, and then it flies,
As goals are born from his keen eyes.

A final game, a preseason thrill,
Gushchin's vision, sharp and still.
He weaves the plays, and makes them shine,
A future star, his path aligns.
Dis is da winnin season

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
We don't have enough good offensive players for our top 3 lines to be able to score, even with Gushchin in there. We're also not trying to build a contending team this season. Our main concern should be providing Celebrini and Smith the best possible opportunity to flourish.

Not having Gushchin on the opening night roster doesn't undercut anything. Everyone knows it's a business and these decisions are fundamentally determined by contracts and waiver status.
It absolutely undercuts the entirety of the open competition, work your ass off, earn your spot, beat someone out mentality they've preached this whole camp.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cagnoni is almost certainly going to get some AHL time
I suspect the same thing but give him the early nod since he’s played the best and when he struggles or Muk comes off injury ready to be in the NHL, let him take over.

I’d like to trade some of these defensemen but I doubt there’s a market for any vets for now.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It absolutely undercuts the entirety of the open competition, work your ass off, earn your spot, beat someone out mentality they've preached this whole camp.

Yep.

I don’t really care what the mechanics of it all is, that Gushchin is waiver exempt, that it behooves the team to send him down over other people, etc etc etc the fact of the matter is; we have a new coach who has spent the entire summer saying that hard work and competitiveness wins you a spot, no matter who you are. You go back on that, it’s a really bad look and a really negative way to start the season:

Gushchin single-handedly wins you the last preseason game against most of Vegas’s starting lineup and gives you a moral boost to start the season and his reward is to be sent down? It’s just not how you lead a team.

From everything I’ve read of Warsofsky, my assumption is he agrees and Goose is in the starting lineup.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Every team preaches this at every training camp and fans take it at face value. The truth is contract status and waiver eligibility determine 99% of roster decisions.

I'm sure Gushchin (+ Graf, Cardwell and Cagnoni) has improved his standing within the org for future call-ups so I'm not saying camp is completely meaningless but it's also insane that anyone acts like 2 weeks of September hockey should overrule years and years of past performance.

If it were up to me I would dump Kostin and put Gushchin on the opening night roster but I can also understand why the front office would value KK's size and experience. At the end of the day, whether or not someone makes the opening night roster is just not that serious. There will certainly be injuries, likely early on, that will open up a spot for Gushchin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad