GDT: Preseason Game 5. Kraken @ Oilers beer leaguer. Streaming on Oilers+ at 7 pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
This kid took $140K less than he could have if he just accepted his qualifying offer for goodness sake.

some point you need to reward prospects in your organization who do everything you ask of them.
You realize that he didn’t do that (the bolded) because he’s the Salvation Army charity foundation. If he had signed it, he would be earning more than league minimum. Not much more, but more all the same.

It was completely self serving for him to decline the QO so he didn’t box him self out of a potential job on a cap limited team by some other marginal tweener who did have a cheaper, league minimum contract. The team owes him ZERO for doing this.

At the end of the day he has to fill a need. If he can’t, he's rightfully Bako bound.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Regarding the bold. Janmark and Brown combined for 8 goals last season. I know Oiler fans have a hard-on for that Janmark-Henrique-Brown 3rd line because of like 5 good games in the playoffs, but lets not pretend like those two wingers are a sure bet to be legit top 9 forwards all season. Would benefit having someone who can move up and contribute some hypothetical offense if one or both of those guys slump for an entire season again.

And in terms of not killing penalties, winning defensive matchups... neither is Corey Perry. And frankly, with no disrespect to Perry, I see Lavoie just as capable of filling an energy role as him at this point in their respect careers. It's not like Lavoie is afraid of using his body out there. Limited sample size, but he threw more hits/60 than any player on the team last season other than Adam Erne. Hell, he's not even afraid to drop the gloves if need be.

This kid took $140K less than he could have if he just accepted his qualifying offer for goodness sake.

At some point you need to reward prospects in your organization who do everything you ask of them.

Let Corey Perry ride the bench and play on the 2nd night of back to backs or when someone is banged up. Frankly what the Oilers should be doing with Perry is waiving him but have him stick around and only "calling him up" on days that he's actually going to play in order to maximize cap savings.

Totally agree on Lavoie.
Best case scenario Perry has a good season, wins the cup and then retires. He's going to be 40 years old in May and I just don't see how he fits into the long term plans.

Lavoie on the other hand makes 400k less (allowing us to accrue more cap for the deadline) and actually has a future with this team. For me, worst case scenario he doesn't pan out and you upgrade at the deadline. Best Cass scenario he's a young cost controlled asset that we desperately need.

I do disagree about Brown and Janmark though. Brown was recovering from a brutal injury and I fully expect him to produce more. He's proven over his career that he can do this and should regress to to mean. Janmark has also consistently potted 10+ goals. No reason to think he can't get the 10 he had the year prior.

Reactions: MessierII

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The roster on day one is almost surely not the roster on day 20. If they waive Lavoie and he is claimed they cannot use him. If all they care about though is this year then they will waive him and not worry at all about a claim. But next year they need cheap players because of the pending deals for Draisaitl and Bouchard. Having cheap internal options is important. That is why they lost Holloway and Broberg. Because they were no longer cheap.

Philp is waiver eligible and could be brought up at any time.

I agree 100%. We will see if the team plans on accruing, putting Kane on LTIR or gambling on the waiver wire. Lavoie needs to light it up in a couple solid 200 foot games this week to force the Oilers hand on which direction they go. Emberson playing very well may allow them to LTIR Kane and keep both Philp and Lavoie which is what I’d like to at the end of the day.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You realize that he didn’t do that (the bolded) because he’s the Salvation Army charity foundation. If he had signed it, he would be earning more than league minimum. Not much more, but more all the same.

It was completely self serving for him to decline the QO so he didn’t box him self out of a potential job on a cap limited team by some other marginal tweener who did have a cheaper, league minimum contract. The team owes him ZERO for doing this.

At the end of the day he has to fill a need. If he can’t, he's rightfully Bako bound.
I’m aware of that fact. The point is he’s doing everything he can to make himself an option on the roster. Including putting in a damned good preseason on the ice.

What more can he do?

Let’s be 100% honest. If Lavoie doesn’t make the team, it’s not because he didn’t earn a spot or fill a need. It’s because the organization cares more about being loyal to Perry. Ditto for Philp and Ryan. But at least Ryan has shown he still had a pulse this preseason.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree 100%. We will see if the team plans on accruing, putting Kane on LTIR or gambling on the waiver wire. Lavoie needs to light it up in a couple solid 200 foot games this week to force the Oilers hand on which direction they go. Emberson playing very well may allow them to LTIR Kane and keep both Philp and Lavoie which is what I’d like to at the end of the day.

Lavoie needs to be a modern day Brendan Shannahan out there to make the team. Meanwhile Corey Perry needs to just show he can lace up his skates.

If the issue was actually accruing cap space for the deadline than both Ryan and Perry would be on waivers with Lavoie and Philp being on the roster. You’d end up with more than $6m in accrued space at the deadline and be icing the better roster. God forbid this team has more than two forwards under the age of 30 on the opening day roster.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Why do we have a Vancouver telecast for an Oilers home game?
I think they usually do this in preseason, just use the home feed and announcers. Rogers is also extremely cheap.

Im watching without sound, I have some other tunes playing, so it should be ok. :)

Edit - there’s Chief Willie Littlechild, I take that all back. It’s an Oiler home game. Who the f*** knows what they are doing!!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

You talking about Lavoie? I'd be surprised if he doesn't get picked up on Waivers. Would be another prospect we just waste. Very useful player who has been good again in preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad