GDT: Preseason Game 5. Kraken @ Oilers beer leaguer. Streaming on Oilers+ at 7 pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Was at the game tonight.

Few stand outs. I thought Philp, Lavoie, Ryan had strong games.

Can just tell from watching but Ekholm just way more engaged than most guys. Guy is a beast out there.

Podkolzin one of the few guys just trying to run through guys. Kemp was pretty physical too.

I really thought Perry looked cooked. I don’t think he deserves to be in the lineup over Ryan, Philp or Lavoie.

Lavoie is a big boy on the ice. He really stands out size wise.

Stetcher just a tiny guy lol. Moved the puck well though.

I will say that it felt like at times Oilers were a step behind Seattle in this game. I think they need to pick up their battle level up a bit. They also looked a little slow in terms of speed and execution.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Have to say Podkolzin was very dangerous in 2nd period. Almost scored 3X then gets the shorty on a beauty read to just float open. Smart play. Ryan see's him. Goal doesn't happen without both being on same page.

Philps. Wow what a goal in tight. Seen him score that goal before for the Golden Bears.

Was at the game tonight.

Can just tell from watching but Ekholm just way more engaged than most guys. Guy is a beast out there.

Podkolzin one of the few guys just trying to run through guys. Kemp was pretty physical too.

I really thought Perry looked cooked. I don’t think he deserves to be in the lineup over Ryan, Philp or Lavoie.

I will say that it felt like at times Oilers were a step behind Seattle in this game. I think they need to pick up their battle level up a bit. They also looked a little slow in terms of speed and execution.
Fun game for a preseason game. Almost felt for real. I liked some of the Oilers breakouts tonight. Getting some different breaks going and moving puck effectively north. I didn't think the goalies were as bad as mot comments. Guys were left alone and finding corners. On another Pickard makes 3 stops and Kraken score on 4th whack. You can't blame the goalie there.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Philp imo is the guy to get most excited for. Just checks off so many boxes for this team. RH centre check. Good on face-offs check. Has good size and uses it to win battles check. Excellent defensively check. Has some nice untapped offensive potential to boot.

Really I'm very happy overall with how Philp, Pod, Lavoie, Savoie and O'Reilly have looked. Prospect pool suddenly not looking nearly as bad.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Have to say Podkolzin was very dangerous in 2nd period. Almost scored 3X then gets the shorty on a beauty read to just float open. Smart play. Ryan see's him. Goal doesn't happen without both being on same page.

Philps. Wow what a goal in tight. Seen him score that goal before for the Golden Bears.

Podkolzin also did a good job at driving the lane. He also tied up/interfered with the defender.

Did the same thing in game 1 on the OT winner that Dineen scored.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The team will have to start the season with 14 forwards and 7 dmen the forward depth is just 2 strong and competitive, Is Philp waiver exempt?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Was at the game tonight.

I wonder if Perry gets gifted a spot. I don't get that signing.

Reactions: ujju2

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Hoffman had two EV assists. Very visible I thought. Agreed with the rest of your evaluations except Savoie has shown he can play with different guys. He doesn't need top guys. He can be that guy and hopefully can do that in bottomsix for now.

I didn't really care for Hoffman. The secondary assist he had on the Ekholm goal wasn't really relevant. It was a nice pass from Ryan. The assist in the Lavoie goal was after he bubbled the puck on the entry and Lavoie had a great individual effort. He wasn't good on the powerplay either. Maybe I'm being too hard on him but I think the 4-5 other guys he's competing with had better games.

Podkolzin had 5 hits, killed penalties and scored a goal.

Lavoie had 5 hits, 5 shots and scored a goal.

Philp had a goal, drives the net, is defensively responsible and dominant in the faceoff circle.

Ryan was great on the PK and +3 tonight with a lot of veteran moves.

I dont see Hoffman making this team. Maybe bako though.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
On a side note, anybody else think Will Borgen would be a nice dman to acquire assuming Seattle are sellers this season? He stood out tonight for Seattle imo.

Reactions: McDoused

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Nuge, Arvidsson, Skinner, Henrique, Brown, Janmark, Podklozin, Lavoie, Ryan, Hoffman, Philp 14 Forwards

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Ryan-Lavoie
Perry, Hoffman

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Brown
Stetcher/Kemp

Could we make this roster happen cap wise?

Waiting in the wings in Bako: Philp and Savoie

Philp deserves to make the team but I don't see us waiving Perry nor should Philp be sitting after missing a full year of hockey.

Reactions: VainGretzky

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Ryan-Lavoie
Perry, Hoffman

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Brown
Stetcher/Kemp

Is Philp waiver exempt ?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Fun game for a preseason game. Almost felt for real. I liked some of the Oilers breakouts tonight. Getting some different breaks going and moving puck effectively north. I didn't think the goalies were as bad as mot comments. Guys were left alone and finding corners. On another Pickard makes 3 stops and Kraken score on 4th whack. You can't blame the goalie there.

The Hayden goal was really bad (the one where Rodrigue knocked the puck into the player). But he settled into the game by the end.

Reactions: ujju2

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I didn't really care for Hoffman. The secondary assist he had on the Ekholm goal wasn't really relevant. It was a nice pass from Ryan. The assist in the Lavoie goal was after he bubbled the puck on the entry and Lavoie had a great individual effort. He wasn't good on the powerplay either. Maybe I'm being too hard on him but I think the 4-5 other guys he's competing with had better games.

Podkolzin had 5 hits, killed penalties and scored a goal.

Lavoie had 5 hits, 5 shots and scored a goal.

Philp had a goal, drives the net, is defensively responsible and dominant in the faceoff circle.

Ryan was great on the PK and +3 tonight with a lot of veteran moves.

I dont see Hoffman making this team. Maybe bako though.
Lavoie in junior always had bite and if he can bring that element he will crack the lineup. He checks a lot of boxes with the fact he’s a right shot and can finish plays. Philip is going to be tough to send down as well. Pod with his PKing and physicality has a spot sown up IMO.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Ryan-Lavoie
Perry, Hoffman

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Brown
Stetcher/Kemp

Philp deserves to make the team but I don't see us waiving Perry nor should Philp be sitting after missing a full year of hockey.
Only works if we are okay with dipping into Kane’s LTIR by a few hundred grand. Means no accrued space come the deadline.

We can’t run a 14f 7d roster and not dip into LTIR. Not unless we waived all of Ryan, Perry and Brown and replaced them with league min players.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I like Philip, but if he's waiver exempt, and coming off a year away from hockey, it's not a bad idea to send him down for a month or two.

Reactions: Spawn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad